Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird things you do in your sleep

Options
  • 15-10-2016 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I woke up this morning with YouTube playing songs on my phone. I have no idea why. I went to sleep with the phone put away in my bedside locker, so i have no idea how i woke up with YouTube playing songs with my phone beside my pillow.

Does anyone else do weird things like this in their sleep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sometimes when lying in bed my legs kick out waking me up, a symptom I suppose of caffeine, as I do drink too much coffee.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I'll never know why and herself laughs at me all the time for it but I make decisions when asleep.

I'll wake up at 3am and write down that we'll save X on mortgage if we transfer X over now. And I'll be waking up thinking this needs adding to the shopping list at 5am etc.

I'm ok at the mo because I stay up late Fridays but I do most of my useful thinking during the night. I wake and make notes and make decisions. Then I go back to bed.
    Its hard to describe but my brain seems to come alive at night and I get up and write things down and then go back to bed and then wake to do it again.

It drives herself nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Sometimes when lying in bed my legs kick out waking me up, a symptom I suppose of caffeine, as I do drink too much coffee.

Maybe you're dreaming about being Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't do much in my sleep because I'm a very light sleeper. And even my breathing can wake me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night I lift my arm in the air and give it a scratch. Then fall asleep with it still there. I wake up when the arm falls asleep and smacks me in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'll never know why and herself laughs at me all the time for it but I make decisions when asleep.

I'll wake up at 3am and write down that we'll save X on mortgage if we transfer X over now. And I'll be waking up thinking this needs adding to the shopping list at 5am etc.

I'm ok at the mo because I stay up late Fridays but I do most of my useful thinking during the night. I wake and make notes and make decisions. Then I go back to bed.
    Its hard to describe but my brain seems to come alive at night and I get up and write things down and then go back to bed and then wake to do it again.

It drives herself nuts.

Apparently it's a symptom/sign if being quite intelligent and it's a good idea to keep a notebook by your bed.

You should get your girlfriend a notebook and make her write down her thoughts every time you wake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Apparently it's a symptom/sign if being quite intelligent and it's a good idea to keep a notebook by your bed.

You should get your girlfriend a notebook and make her write down her thoughts every time you wake.

Ha, I LOVE this post! Thank you! :)

Now all I have to do is convince a very grumpy mother of two twin girls to realise that i was right all along and that I have met a nice lady on the internet thingy to confirm it.
    :D

I'll be back to you over the weekend. And if this goes to trial after she punches me then you're in my corner..... right?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Ha, I LOVE this post! Thank you! :)

Now all I have to do is convince a very grumpy mother of two twin girls to realise that i was right all along and that I have met a nice lady on the internet thingy to confirm it.
    :D

I'll be back to you over the weekend. And if this goes to trial after she punches me then you're in my corner..... right?
    :)

Dude.

There are no nice ladies on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Grayson wrote: »
    Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night I lift my arm in the air and give it a scratch. Then fall asleep with it still there. I wake up when the arm falls asleep and smacks me in the face.

Ha, ha Grayson, sorry but that's absolutely hilarious...

I can't think of anything in particular I do myself in my sleep, I'm a light sleeper and I do a bit of the making decisions thing (or more like resolve on a particular action) while I sleep, so I keep a diary(&to do list) by my bed always & find it quite useful at times.

One thing peculiar I've done a few times though is wake up in absolute stitches laughing & giggling, usually in the am. now I'm probably physically just smiling or whatever, but it feels to me like I'm laughing hysterically.. I think I've noticed (i.e. when i can recall my dreams) that this normally coincides with me having a dream about having the craic with my mates over whatever . I'm not sure what this means exactly, but I think it's likely to mean I just miss having the craic with them maybe, I dunno. I can't tell them or they'd slag me off no end, as I would them tbf.

Does this happen to anyone else occasionally?? Any ideas on why dreaming of having a laugh with the lads seems to be a trigger???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

When sober I would be a normal sleeper. Close eyes and wake up 7 or 8 hours later.
    When drunk though there is sleep talking, sleep walking, sleep peeing, duvet hogging, bad dreams....ya would wake up exhausted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Apparently in the first hour of my sleep I whimper/whine and groan like I am in pain.
    Sometimes people wake me up saying "its okay its just a nightmare" but I have never had a nightmare when people do that?

Often fall asleep and give myself dead arms and legs but not as bad as Grayson ha.

If I have a dream and wake up I message a friend the dream but its all "laddy ntuuggt i ahd a dreeanm baout a dogm" etc. Brain never fully awake.

The guy who kicks legs about - restless leg syndrome? May be triggered by coffee tho etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

No... get your girlfriend a notebook and make her write down YOUR thoughts every time YOU wake...
    04:32... "honey... take a note... we need big roll"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

daithi7 wrote: »
    Ha, ha Grayson, sorry but that's absolutely hilarious...

I can't think of anything in particular I do myself in my sleep, I'm a light sleeper and I do a bit of the making decisions thing (or more like resolve on a particular action) while I sleep, so I keep a diary(&to do list) by my bed always & find it quite useful at times.

One thing peculiar I've done a few times though is wake up in absolute stitches laughing & giggling, usually in the am. now I'm probably physically just smiling or whatever, but it feels to me like I'm laughing hysterically.. I think I've noticed (i.e. when i can recall my dreams) that this normally coincides with me having a dream about having the craic with my mates over whatever . I'm not sure what this means exactly, but I think it's likely to mean I just miss having the craic with them maybe, I dunno. I can't tell them or they'd slag me off no end, as I would them tbf.

Does this happen to anyone else occasionally?? Any ideas on why dreaming of having a laugh with the lads seems to be a trigger???

My wife constantly wakes me up with her laughing away in her sleep, sometimes a chuckle, sometimes all out deep belly laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I do this sometimes but I don't drink coffee. With me it's usually when I'm drifting off and begunning to dream and for whatever reason kick out at someone or something in the dream, replicate the action physically and that wakes me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

My wife likes to wake me up to blame me or give out to me for things that happened in her dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

Sometimes I wake up thinking that I might have a chance with herself...but herself laughing soothes me back to sleep lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

RiseToMe wrote: »
    My wife constantly wakes me up with her laughing away in her sleep, sometimes a chuckle, sometimes all out deep belly laugh!

Glad to hear there's other sleep laughers out there :)

P.s. and ironically, I'm a really grim, miserable shagger when I'm awake ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

gramar wrote: »
    I do this sometimes but I don't drink coffee. With me it's usually when I'm drifting off and begunning to dream and for whatever reason kick out at someone or something in the dream, replicate the action physically and that wakes me up.

I do this too, it's called a hypnic jerk!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Conversation I allegedly had with my boyfriend last night in my sleep:
    Me: No
    Bf: What?
    Me: No
    Bf: No what?
    Me: No tea
    Bf: What are you on about?
    Me: Never mind, mate

I also once asked him "how's your penis?" four times (he couldn't understand me the first three, hence repeating myself). I have no memory of these but I'm apparently still lucid enough in my sleep to carry a conversation.

I do that hypnic jerk a lot as well, on the brink of falling asleep. Recently it was in a dream where I slipped and fell on some ice, kicked out as I fell and woke myself up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I gently whisper "Bush did 9/11" every ten minutes or so when I'm asleep.

I have no one to actually confirm this but I just presume it happens.

• Advertisement

RiseToMe wrote: »

I fell asleep on an overnight flight only to be woken up by an attendant. I'd been laughing my head off so loudly that other passengers complained I'd woken them up or stopped them from sleeping.

The embarrassment. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭zSparc

The Raptor wrote: »
    I woke up this morning with YouTube playing songs on my phone. I have no idea why. I went to sleep with the phone put away in my bedside locker, so i have no idea how i woke up with YouTube playing songs with my phone beside my pillow.

I hope you liked the playlist... :rolleyes:

My 4 year old was talking in her sleep yesterday about 'I want a real Apple, not that apple'.

#firstworldproblems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Got the Snore Lab app last week. It's great, I don't snore, but I laugh and talk a good bit. It's funny listening back to it.

Advertisement