Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning taken from deposit and PRTB hearing - Advice welcome

Options
  • 12-10-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello!

I have a similar situation: I am due to appear at an adjudication hearing with the PRTB and the letting agent (I am the tenant).
    About 500 euros out of our 825 deposit was retained over two years (We moved out in 2012).
    I tried to contact them for two years (myself, via Threshold), but was ignored.

Now they got the letter from the PRTB and suddenly they try to ring me and email me saying that the deposit was retained by mistake (someone no longer working there etc.).

They also sent me a copy of a cleaning bill for some 150 euros worth of cleaning, although my housemate and myself did clean before we left.
    They sent no photographic evidence of the house before hiring a cleaning company.

Given that, when my housemate and I moved out, we were the last of a string of tenants (like a rolling tenancy) who had all gotten their full deposits back, and that they never checked how clean the place was in-between the various tenants, I found that cleaning bill rather unjustified. And we didn't take over the place in as clean a condition as we left it ourselves.

Now, they offered me the remainder of the money (which apparently they tried to pay the other tenant, but it bounced back off the account) minus the cleaning, and didn't even mention the hearing.

Do you think I should take the money and let it be, or insist that we go to the hearing?

How do you rate my chances to get back the cleaning fee (given that there is no photo evidence and that they essentially ignored me for two years and tried to keep all my money without comment.)

Suggestions are very welcome!

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Arda wrote: »
    Given that, when my housemate and I moved out, we were the last of a string of tenants (like a rolling tenancy) who had all gotten their full deposits back
    Was your name on the lease, or did you pay your deposit to someone who was leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Does the bill from the cleaning company have the exact address of the property on it and is it fully itemised? Also have you checked that it is in fact a genuine cleaning company?

Personally I would go to the hearing and state your case. It could be worth €150 to just turn up or you might even get compensated for the two year delay and you won't lose anything by showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Arda

the_syco wrote: »
    Was your name on the lease, or did you pay your deposit to someone who was leaving?

Both our names were on the lease and my bank account was used as a household account for the rent.

Advertisement