Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasonable force

• 06-09-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Hi all interested to hear opinions on this . . any idea if throwing a saucepan full of boiling hot latex directly into the face of a threatening intruder to your home / business would come under "reasonable force" regards brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mikros

Reasonable force all depends on the situation and what you believed the threat was to you. If they were rushing at you with a knife saying they were going to kill you, then yes it could be reasonable. If they were walking back out the door and you threw it on them then probably not.

But why would you have a pan of boiling latex? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Do you always have a pot of boiling hot latex to hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That's such a random and yet specific assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I'd go with a Hadouken myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sounds to me like S&M night got out of hand.

Maybe use a safe word in future.

• Advertisement

Sounds to me like S&M night got out of hand.

Maybe use a safe word in future.

Are you my uncle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

"You see guard, I was heating a pan in one hand had my favourite latex gimp mask in the other, I heard the window break and with the fright my mask fell into the pan melting it, as the intruder came.towards me I had no option but to cover him in my now melted gimp mask."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Do you always have a pot of boiling hot latex to hand?

My neighbour Mrs. Hargreaves always does when she's making toys for the school fete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Are you my uncle?

That's a bit long for a safe word.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    That's a bit long for a safe word.

It does tend to kill the mood though, unless you are into that kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

They'd do you for armed rubbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wazky wrote: »
    "You see guard, I was heating a pan in one hand had my favourite latex gimp mask in the other, I heard the window break and with the fright my mask fell into the pan melting it, as the intruder came.towards me I had no option but to cover him in my now melted gimp mask."
    "Sounds like an open and shut case, alright back to the station, lets roll!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Reasonable force under the definition in Irish law, is the amount of force necessary to protect oneself or one's property

Reasonable force is a term associated with defending one's person or property from a violent attack, theft, or other type of unlawful aggression

It may be used as a defense in a criminal trial or to defend oneself in a suit alleging tortious conduct

If one uses excessive force, or more than the force necessary for such protection, he or she may be considered to have forfeited the right to defense

Basically the amount of force used is down to the court's/judge's interpretation of the law & is tenuous to say the least

Reasonable force is such an open ended term.

What is reasonable for some may not be for others.

Lets say, My Granny's house is being robbed by an 8st junkie, My granny, in fear of her life, shoots him dead. That would be probably ok.

If the same guy broke into my house, reasonable force would be to give him a hiding and called the police.

Basically, if you are in "fear for your life" nearly anything goes*

* Citation needed T & C's apply. This post may not be reproduced in a court of law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Reasonable force is such an open ended term.

What is reasonable for some may not be for others.

Lets say, My Granny's house is being robbed by an 8st junkie, My granny, in fear of her life, shoots him dead. That would be probably ok.

If the same guy broke into my house, reasonable force would be to give him a hiding and called the police.

Basically, if you are in "fear for your life" nearly anything goes*

* Citation needed T & C's apply. This post may not be reproduced in a court of law.

thanks mate will let you know how i get on regards brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Hi all interested to hear opinions on this . . any idea if throwing a saucepan full of boiling hot latex directly into the face of a threatening intruder to your home / business would come under "reasonable force" regards brian

As chief wiggum once said - it doesn't count if you lure then into the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Didn't they change the law recently?

Anyone breaking into your house, their life is forfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The Wire

Duff wrote: »
    I'd go with a Hadouken myself.
    I'm more of a Yoga Flame myself but the Hadouken is the Everest of attacks! I just struggle with it after losing my right thumb in a stupid bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Wire wrote: »
    I'm more of a Yoga Flame myself but the Hadouken is the Everest of attacks! I just struggle with it after losing my right thumb in a stupid bet!

How did you even find this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

he used the reasonable force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How did you even find this thread?

Searched hot latex but didn't realise he was on boards and not google?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Gardai are a fairly reasonable force.

Advertisement