Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council Rent To Buy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I THINK the prices are good,i wonder what the service charges are.These are in working class areas ,if you do,nt like finglas etc,you do not have to buy there.I Know people who own houses in finglas and they have no problems whatsoever ,they are happy to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Davvvido

I am living at Prospect Hill over 1 year and can not complain at all.
    There are lovely duplex-apartments with huge balconies. We have a beautiful grass and flowers area between our blocks.
    There are CCTVs in car park and coridors.
    My opinion Prospect Hill is one of the best area for living in Dublin.
    It takes me 10 min to get to City Centre via bus.

You are close to city centre, but still in the village:)

The prices are very good. 1bed for €95 and 2bed for €139.
    I wish to have that kind of deal when I was buying my apartment year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Davvvido wrote: »
    I am living at Prospect Hill over 1 year and can not complain at all.
    There are lovely duplex-apartments with huge balconies. We have a beautiful grass and flowers area between our blocks.
    There are CCTVs in car park and coridors.
    My opinion Prospect Hill is one of the best area for living in Dublin.
    It takes me 10 min to get to City Centre via bus.

You are close to city centre, but still in the village:)

The prices are very good. 1bed for €95 and 2bed for €139.
    I wish to have that kind of deal when I was buying my apartment year ago.

How much are your management fees?

I pay €1600 per year for 2bed apartment.
    If you are going for "rent to buy scheme" you do not need care about management fees as DCC will pay that as long as you are renting from them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Your deposit on this scheme is two months rent- whereas if you're renting elsewhere its one months rent- plus you pay today's price in 3 years time (though you get to rent the property at 80% of the open market rent for the area).

There are both pros and cons to this scheme.

• Advertisement

You are right the deposit on "rent to buy scheme" is two months rent, but the rent is €680 per month. If you are renting from landlords on Prospect Hill the rent is €950 -€1000 per month. I can easily see the difference.
    All of apartments are brand new with furniture of your choice.

I do not think that the prices of apartments would go down under €139k in 3 years.
    Good to have confirmation that price of apartments would not go up together with market values.

Maybe I am wrong. I can just see the positive things on "Rent to buy scheme"

Cheers
    David

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All of the properties are in Developments which incur service/management charges. Under the 2009 Act- this charge now legally has to include a EUR200 fee for its sink fund- or in the proposed case for Prospect Hill EUR600, which would increase the current fee from EUR1150- possibly up to the EUR1500 region (which is quite normal for many parts of Dublin- but a massive shock to folk who have never had to pay Management Charges before).

Furniture, fixtures and fittings have been contracted out by DCC- and are actually quite reasonable. I understand you do not have to pay for these at the end of the 3 year period- which is a selling point.....

With regard to the price of apartments falling below EUR139k- I honestly wouldn't be surprised were they to fall well below this level. The Irish experience with apartment living leaves a lot to be desired- and most folk are still enamoured with their idea of a semi-d with their own garden.

How low will prices go- and over how long a period of time? The simple answer to this is- how high will interest rates rise- and over what period of time. Factor in mortgage interest rates of 6% over the next 5-6 years and you are probably in the right ballpark- though time will tell.

The era of cheap money chasing apartments and other assets- is long gone......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Davido, is it the block in the photos thats on sale for this Rent-to-Buy scheme?

Mgt fees at that level would scare the living daylights out of me no matter whether it was located in Finglas or Dalkey as I do not see the value for money in it.

gurramok wrote: »
    Davido, is it the block in the photos thats on sale for this Rent-to-Buy scheme?

Mgt fees at that level would scare the living daylights out of me no matter whether it was located in Finglas or Dalkey as I do not see the value for money in it.

Hi,,,

There are a few apartments in every block at Prospect Hill. The block in the adv. photos is the newest one and there are apartments for Rent to buy scheme as well.

The best way just come to Prospect Hill and check by self.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GeckoOnTheWall

Do you see Fatima changing in the nearest future to a less ghetto-like community?

I have been to Herberton a few time overs the last week, and though the apartments are quite nice, on each occasion I witnessed instances of anti-social behaviour (e.g. throwing stones at cars, loud (intimidating-looking teenagers). Would these be separate incidents, or the norm that one needs to get used to there?

Also, my friends living there complain of rats in the building. I wonder if they would be just in their block, or the problem affets all the blocks...

• Advertisement
Advertisement