Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord repairs

Options
  • 14-10-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I moved into a house last month and within a week the oven has stopped working. I informed the landlord straight away and he said he would sort it.

A week passed and heard nothing so I contacted him and he called around looked at it and said he will send someone to repair it.

Another week passed so I contacted him again and his partner called over looked at it and said will arrange repair.

Now im into the 3rd week and I contacted him yesterday saying I will not pay rent until it is fixed or I will fix it myself and deduct the price from the rent.

He replied saying that he will fix it and not to carry about repairs?

Anyone know where I stand starting to get fairly annoyed now especially as I have a young child so without a oven its hard to cook much.

There is also other problems which I told him about also but mainly I need a oven working.

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

he should have had it fixed or replaced within the week. Crazy way to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Tell him you will just buy a new oven and take the price out of the rent, see if that puts a bomb under him. Feck repairing, you will need to get someone to look at it, maybe order parts and then return to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

usually cookers etc just need to be replaced, they aren't made to last very long sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If someone is going to leave a mother and child without a cooker, they probably never fix anything for you.

I would be looking to leave as soon as possible. Also report them to the PRTB. The LL will probably not give the deposit back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

1: Send a letter outlining the issue and give a reasonable amount of time to fix it - the reasonable amount of time can be fairly short as it is a critical item. If you have already informed him of this issue in writing or in text and have included a date by which you'd like the item fixed you are ok to proceed to the next step.

2: Inform them (in writing) if it is not fixed in this reasonable amount of time you will replace or repair the item yourself and deduct the cost from the rent as you are legally entitled to do.

The fact that you've been waiting 3 weeks though is not acceptable. I'd be looking for a new place myself as it doesn't bode well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement