Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

aquinn wrote: »
    I have to say I am disappointed to read this. You are always so involved and helpful in the thread and aware of all events.

I thought you came across as someone who ran them weekly, or fairly frequently, so assumed that you would have done event set-up or as you are fast to scan afterwards.

I don't think that is good enough if you do run weekly and then not once to volunteer in 2018.

But it's not quite as simple as the crude count of zero on my parkrun record, that doesn't tell the full story.

My running has enabled others to volunteer (eg if I'd not run then the volunteer wouldn't have been able to turn up either and so wouldn't have been able to volunteer. Volunteering with a three year old that won't stand still isn't an option) or another time where other members of our group turned up to a junior event and we provided 4 of the marshals for the event that day (whilst I chased a toddler about) or variations of that. At the moment our Saturday schedule doesn't allow for hanging around for more than a couple of minutes after we finish as other events have to be got to quickly so that limits our options. That will change again over time, but at the moment parkrun is unfortunately a hit and run affair, or we'd just stay in bed for a couple of extra hours and that isn't the point of parkrun either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I volunteered 13 times in 2018 - either too pregnant to run, postpartum, injured, looking after the kids or buggy malfunction. Only going to get more difficult this year, toddler is 3 in March and is outgrowing the double and baby is 1 in 2 weeks and will be more of a handful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I hope my comments about volunteering earlier wasn't taken up as a slight against runners who haven't volunteered.

I'm just saying that since I'm stuck with volunteering more I have a greater appreciation for what goes on to make a Parkrun happen. I think volunteering is part of the whole Parkrun experience and people who haven't volunteered for what ever reason are missing out on that part of the experience but I don't see an obligation for anyone to volunteer either.

I'm sure when I'm back on my feet I won't be feeling the need to volunteer for a long time to come.

Right, well onto something a little more light hearted.. If I can't Parkrun for another few weeks I can at least read the crap out of it.

Mister Postman Pat dropped this in through the letterbox this morning :D

470751.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I hope my comments about volunteering earlier wasn't taken up as a slight against runners who haven't volunteered.

I'm just saying that since I'm stuck with volunteering more I have a greater appreciation for what goes on to make a Parkrun happen. I think volunteering is part of the whole Parkrun experience and people who haven't volunteered for what ever reason are missing out on that part of the experience but I don't see an obligation for anyone to volunteer either.

I'm sure when I'm back on my feet I won't be feeling the need to volunteer for a long time to come.

Right, well onto something a little more light hearted.. If I can't Parkrun for another few weeks I can at least read the crap out of it.

Mister Postman Pat dropped this in through the letterbox this morning :D

470751.jpg

That looks nice, hadn’t heard anything about it,
    On a slightly related topic I see that off the ball have a distance running Saturday panel tomorrow which features the rise of parkrun among other topics with Catherina McKiernan, Frank Queally and Mick Clohisey, should be interesting

That looks nice, hadn’t heard anything about it,
    On a slightly related topic I see that off the ball have a distance running Saturday panel tomorrow which features the rise of parkrun among other topics with Catherina McKiernan, Frank Queally and Mick Clohisey, should be interesting

Here's the Ebay store I bought it from

It runs [pun] to 360 pages so there's value in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I have to say I am disappointed to read this. You are always so involved and helpful in the thread and aware of all events.

I thought you came across as someone who ran them weekly, or fairly frequently, so assumed that you would have done event set-up or as you are fast to scan afterwards.

I don't think that is good enough if you do run weekly and then not once to volunteer in 2018.

You are stinking the whole thing up.

I was actually looking forward to finally going to one of these and now you've turned it into my place of work in my head, full of whinging bitches (for the PC out there, that's men and women).

Is that what the volunteers spend their time thinking at this thing? Looking at people running by wondering "I recognise that gobsh1te from last week, wonder did he ever volunteer the c*nt"?

Ughhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

vargoo wrote: »

I was actually looking forward to finally going to one of these and now you've turned it into my place of work in my head, full of whinging bitches (for the PC out there, that's men and women).

Is that what the volunteers spend their time thinking at this thing? Looking at people running by wondering "I recognise that gobsh1te from last week, wonder did he ever volunteer the c*nt"?

Ughhhh.

But you're still welcomed to parkrun any Saturday regardless of how you feel by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Imagine we'll have big numbers at Malahide tomorrow. Group of 50+ coming from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

chinguetti wrote: »
    But you're still welcomed to parkrun any Saturday regardless of how you feel by the way.

:confused:

ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

vargoo wrote:

Steady on there.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Oh it really annoys me. I questioned a public figure recently as he's having a great time on tour yet hasn't volunteered once. Come on like.

People are hilarious with their reasons for not volunterring, if you can make it up to run you can make it up to volunteer.

Anyone who brags to me about the amount of parkruns they have done will always get a follow up of 'I hope you volunteer too'. The answer is rarely yes, normally I must volunteer more or avoiding eye contact.

And relax.........................Ok, rant over for now I suppose.

You need to be careful with the way you approach "non volunteers". They may have their own reasons for not volunteering, it's not necessarily out of laziness or selfishness. Any kind of aggressive approach or making people feel guilty about not volunteering could drive people away from parkrun and towards a less "healthy and happy" lifestyle. This would be counter productive. By all means encourage them to volunteer, or highlight the benefits of volunteering. But making them feel guilty is not the parkrun way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

vargoo wrote:

It's really not like that. I enjoy both running and volunteering and I haven't heard any negative comments like you mention. It's always a really positive experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    https://runningtrainingplan.com/conversion_mphkph.php

There ya go. It'll save you messing around with all that complicated arithmetic! :pac:

Cheers!

Still it'd be easier if everyone just used metric, instead of having to peg back and forth twixt metric and imperial. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Good jib! wrote: »
    Cheers!

Still it'd be easier if everyone just used metric, instead of having to peg back and forth twixt metric and imperial. :o

No it would be easier if everyone was, as denisb put it, ambidextrous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

eoinín wrote: »
    You need to be careful with the way you approach "non volunteers". They may have their own reasons for not volunteering, it's not necessarily out of laziness or selfishness. Any kind of aggressive approach or making people feel guilty about not volunteering could drive people away from parkrun and towards a less "healthy and happy" lifestyle. This would be counter productive. By all means encourage them to volunteer, or highlight the benefits of volunteering. But making them feel guilty is not the parkrun way.

I have to agree with this. Personally, I volunteer loads and have the 25shirt. Don't even have a 50shirt yet.

There is a man I know well who is a parkrun regular and has never volunteered. To many I'm sure he appears selfish, but the man is up to his neck in volunteering - helping out at the local track 4 times per week - marking out tracks for leagues, marshalling at local road races and co-coaching a sort of a fit-for-life group.

I make a point of telling this to friends who are part of the core team in case they think he's ungrateful but I have to be fair and say, from spending a lot of time around the core team at my local parkrun, giving out about those who don't volunteer is not something I have ever witnessed.

Ughhhh.

Bizarre, but I'll reply.

I've never once heard any kind of begrudgery or an unkind word said by volunteers about Parkrun runners, walkers or joggers.

If someone doesn't want to volunteer tbh its no skin off my nose.

I'm a fairly organized person by nature (and as a soldier by trade too I guess) so you'd think stepping up would be a cinch to me, it wasn't. I was petrified (ok a little nervous) that I'd make a balls of something and ruin someone's run so I opted to be a marshal (standing at a point/turn in the course).

Although I knew the course back to front when I got to my position I was so scared that I was in the wrong place, and felt huge relief when the first runners approached me, from the first to the last tail walker everyone had the craic.

Then I took the next step up and volunteered to be a bar code scanner, a bag of nerves in case I messed up someone's run, but I didn't.

So next was time keeper, a bag of nerves in a new role now.. 'Please God don't let me fvck up someone's run' ~ I did!!.. Two people ran by and I only counted one in, and it wrecked my thoughts for a week, seriously!. I kept thinking someone's going to keep checking for their Parkrun email, but it'll never come because I messed up.. I didn't tell anyone until someone way more experienced than me told me he'd done that, then I let the secret out ~ turns out a few of us had messed up at some stage.

So volunteering is a big step up from running (only opinion) and if people don't wish to take on that responsibility I'm not there to judge them. But I do think they're missing out on some of the Parkrun experience that's all.

My 'first' sport if you like is Judo. I compete at a national level. I thought nothing could come close to the buzz, joy and excitement of a Judo competition. But I'm 53 in March, I've been wondering how to retire. Where will I get that buzz, the happiness and craic ~ I've found it at Parkrun.

Its (again my own opinion) amazing. All anyone is asked to do is show up, give a little effort not matter if you're the slowest walker or the fastest runner, have fun.. AND DON'T FORGET YOUR BAR CODE!.

If you're still wondering what its all about why not take yourself down to a Parkrun and stand on the sidelines or the finish area and see the craic for yourself. Its rumored there'll be cake for the finishers at Fr.Collins tomorrow if you've a sweet tooth, it might take that bitter taste out of your mouth :p

To the post, a little follow on from the book I posted earlier. I'm into the first 50 pages and its a real page turner. Every bit of it we could all identify with, well worth a read.

Have a great run tomorrow peeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ughhhh.

Stop. Breath. Relax. Repeat a few times.

Don't let 1 post on an internet forum form your opinion on an event you've never attended.

I had no idea what to expect the first time I went to Parkrun but quickly discovered it was a great way to start the weekend. The people there are welcoming and love to see new faces. Would they like it if you volunteered? Of course they would, they'd be over the moon. However they also understand that not everyone can or even want to volunteer and that's ok too. All they ask is that if it is an option for you to do it, that you give it a go.

137 in Father Collins this morning and a few Operation Transformer contenders (they got through to the last 20 but then never made the cut but they're doing Parkrun as a group & making great progress).

Lovely day for it too.

I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers from St.Anne's & Malahide Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Please don't wear earphones/headphones during parkrun, saw some lad try to catch up to another runner to tell him his laces were untied. If the latter of the 2 hadn't been wearing earphones/headphones the good Samaritan wouldn't have burnt his matches and then had to walk for a while. It's completely ignorant and inconsiderate. Runner with the untied laces could've gone down in front of other runners and caused an accident.

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    Please don't wear earphones/headphones during parkrun, saw some lad try to catch up to another runner to tell him his laces were untied. If the latter of the 2 hadn't been wearing earphones/headphones the good Samaritan wouldn't have burnt his matches and then had to walk for a while. It's completely ignorant and inconsiderate. Runner with the untied laces could've gone down in front of other runners and caused an accident.

I'll wear headphones if I want, but I double tie my laces ~ have done since I was 11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

My sister did her first parkrun today, she said I gave her the inspiration. Delighted to have brought someone on board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

I'll wear headphones if I want, but I double tie my laces ~ have done since I was 11 :D

I wear earphones when out running solo but not at parkrun due to the close proximity of so many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Shedite27

TBF, 20000 people manage it at DCM, sounds like a fairly low probability issue

I wear earphones when out running solo but not at parkrun due to the close proximity of so many people.

Well then maybe don't run so fast and watch where you're going :P

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

137 at Waterstown today. New course record, 15.28 by a first timer, his wife came in 2nd. I was volunterting at the finish line. The lads cool down is faster than my sprint finish :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Marlay this morning, perfect conditions, 4th K got the better of me as usual but happy out.
    Volunteering next week with my daughters.
    Sub 20 attempt in 2 weeks time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

605 at St Annes this morning. Not as many as last week but an impressive crowd. The new extended tunnel adds another 1km to the distance :P

Interesting interview on newstalk this afternoon with Catriona McKiernan (Malahide winner today by a distance) and Mick Clohisey. Parkrun cam up alot. There is surely a podcast of it and worth a listen.

Question - when does the parkrun year end? In the e-mail it still says my years best time is from last October:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    605 at St Annes this morning. Not as many as last week but an impressive crowd. The new extended tunnel adds another 1km to the distance :P

Interesting interview on newstalk this afternoon with Catriona McKiernan (Malahide winner today by a distance) and Mick Clohisey. Parkrun cam up alot. There is surely a podcast of it and worth a listen.

Question - when does the parkrun year end? In the e-mail it still says my years best time is from last October:confused:

I think the parkrun year runs from the anniversary of your home parkrun.. so for St Anne’s it’s October. But I could be wrong!

• Advertisement

137 at Waterstown today. New course record, 15.28 by a first timer, his wife came in 2nd. I was volunterting at the finish line. The lads cool down is faster than my sprint finish :-D

Just had a look. Their finishing positions and their respective number of parkruns are identical!:eek: :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

annapr wrote: »
    I think the parkrun year runs from the anniversary of your home parkrun.. so for St Anne’s it’s October. But I could be wrong!
    That's correct, so each event has their own year as far as your "fastest time this year" statement in the results emails.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

hollypink wrote: »
    My sister did her first parkrun today, she said I gave her the inspiration. Delighted to have brought someone on board :)

Spoke to someone at Malahide this morning who had just had a baby. This was her first parkrun too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Oh it really annoys me. I questioned a public figure recently as he's having a great time on tour yet hasn't volunteered once. Come on like.

Wouldn't be a certain municipal elected official, by any chance? ;-)

Eh... no. I'll wear my earphones, thanks. Rest assured I can absolutely hear people talking near me, or running up behind me.

Makes me laugh when I'm at an organised race where they announce over a PA that people shouldn't wear earphones so they can hear the marshals - but then they blare music over a PA near the most crowded part of the race, the start/finish line...

robinph wrote: »
    That's correct, so each event has their own year as far as your "fastest time this year" statement in the results emails.

Ah, now it makes sense! I'd been puzzled the last few weeks at my "best time of the year in the email", but that explains it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ah, now it makes sense!

Does it?

Seems pretty silly to me:confused:

Video version.

Eh... no. I'll wear my earphones, thanks. Rest assured I can absolutely hear people talking near me, or running up behind me.

Makes me wonder what people's attention span or attention to their surrounds. I run and cycle with headphones and can hear absolutely everything around me. I also drive my car with the windows up, radio on and so far I've managed to avoid bumping into things ~ I also ride my motorbike with my head encased in a helmet and a loud engine humming under me.

Nope, when I'm back on my feet it'll be my Beats and Rammstein/Slayer/Slipknot etc as usual :pac:

I love the freedom of parkrun, its a community of runners, joggers, sloggers & walkers out to have a fun 5k on a Saturday morning and if enough people start whinging about headphones and other stuff, like whats next.. no dogs, prams, deaf & blind people!. It stops being parkrun.

The guidelines are simple, dogs on short leads, keep to the left, we share the park/no exclusive rights to its pathways, children stay with their parents and DON'T FORGET YOUR BAR CODE.. KISS ~ Keep It Simple Stupid :pac:

Loving this book 'parkrun' by Debra Bourne, highly recommended.. Trivia, I never knew its a small 'p' in parkrun and not a capital P :D (see, read the book peeps :p )

Trivia, I never knew its a small 'p' in parkrun and not a capital P :D (see, read the book peeps :p )

You need to read this thread from the start. It is a pretty good source for the history of parkrun in Ireland:)

The small p has been mentioned once or twice..............;)

You need to read this thread from the start. It is a pretty good source for the history of parkrun in Ireland:)

The small p has been mentioned once or twice..............;)

I've learned with mega threads on boards over the years to never read from the start, feck that lol.

(but I might now so if I start bumping threads from 5 years ago its your fault lol )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I never knew its a small 'p' in parkrun and not a capital P :D (see, read the book peeps :p )

You know now. ;) No book necessary for A/R boardsies, many of whom are parkrun EDs, RDs, volunteers and ambassadors. And of course runners. From day one. There’s a reason this thread doesnt have to be bumped, and hopefully never will.

Ah, now it makes sense!

Does it?

Seems pretty silly to me:confused:
    It did make more sense back when they had the points competition for each event so would need to be synchronised with that events start anniversary.

Murph_D wrote: »
    You know now. ;) No book necessary for A/R boardsies, many of whom are parkrun EDs, RDs, volunteers and ambassadors. And of course runners. From day one. There’s a reason this thread doesnt have to be bumped, and hopefully never will.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, I'm feeling naughty
    does anyone think that Parkrun will affect the numbers doing club run 5ks around the dublin

The OP uses the capital P in the first post on this thread, I think someone should go back and correct him :P

I kid, I kid

I'm very new to Parkrun, in fact I only chanced around it when I was out cycling at the beginning of last summer and its grown on me.

When this thread was originally started I wasn't running for pleasure at all, I was running to pass fitness tests in work and in during training camps for Judo competitions. In fact I hated running, it bored me to tears and sucked the will to live from me but I had to do it.

Roll on 2017 and a diabetes diagnoses, I had to drop weight (I went from 130kg in my first Judo competition of 2017 to 97kgs in my last) and although I was active with Judo, cycling and swimming I was advised that running would be better at lowering the weight I had to drop and I'd have a much better chance of reversing the diabetes (type II) with running.

Long story short, followed a C25k app, then a 5-10k app from the same developer then chanced upon a parkrun in St.Annes and got talking to one of the volunteers there and immediately swallowed parkrun hook, line and sinker.

I love Judo, but as a result of injuries and the chance of a life changing injury was growing I've been wondering how to retire, not just from competition but from Judo entirely.

Its a bitter/sweet pill but 2019 is the first year in a very, very long time (I can't even remember how far back) is the first year I didn't renew my Irish Judo Association licence and I've kind of decided that I'm found my retirement plan.

So yup, I'm only a newbie here but I was fairly busy with other things back in 2012.

Its a terrific little community you've all built up here. Running parkrun, volunteering and learning more through this book I'm flabbergasted by the whole thing. A little bit of good will and effort, amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The more I hear and see about parkrun the more I believe it's a cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ultrapercy wrote: »

Have you heard about the midnight initiation ceremony?.. I bet you haven't!.

:eek:

I'm very new to parkrun, in fact I only chanced around it when I was out cycling at the beginning of last summer and its grown on me.

Fixed your post for you there :pac:

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Fixed your post for you there :pac:

You fixed it for the OP, but thanks all the same :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I don't understand. 'Fixed it for the OP'? That was 6 years ago! Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

ultrapercy wrote: »

One of the core team as Castletown husband is certain it is a cult, particularly when she was injured and went volunteer touring one day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement