Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android devices can’t join WiFi

Options
  • 18-01-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have Vodafone Gigabit broadband. With their latest router. (Not the old model)

I have iPhone, partner has iPhone. Both working fine.
    Our housemate has a Samsung galaxy s9 and did an update over Christmas when he was at home in Portugal.
    My son got a new Android a6 and has done an update last week.

Neither of them can join WiFi. Have tried the usual. Restore devices, wipe them, etc nothing works.

All other devices, iPhones laptops etc connect with no issues.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If they have previously registered with the router then delete that registration in the router and see if that helps next time they try to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Ok,

Restored vodafone gigabox to factory settings.
    Restored Android phone to factory settings.

Everything connects to WiFi with no issues. Except the 2 android phones.
    4 iPhones, 5 different laptops, Apple TV, Smart TV etc. All good.

Android phones can however connect to other WiFi networks, hotspots etc..... I'm really puzzled here.
    I have 2 WiFi points in my house. Vodafone Gigabox downstairs.
    An old repurposed Sky Hub upstairs acting as a pure WiFi hotspot, DHCP disabled etc.

The Android phones both get IP addresses. But zero access. Both say internet access may not work in settings.
    DHCP scope has enough range in it to cover 150 devices.

Nothing else has an issue. Friend of mine called over with an older Android device, works fine.
    Just anything on the latest version does not work.

Spoke with Samsung. They said it's most likely the access points....
    Pointless for me to bring the phones into a store now, as they will connect to their shop wifi, and see it working..

I can't get my head around this. I've wiped both the Gigabox and Sky Hub to factory settings. Setup as complete standard boxes. Even with the Hub turned off, and just using the Gigabox, no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If they're definitely getting:
    A valid IP
    W/ valid net mask

1. Check what default gateway is being assigned
    2. Check what DNS server is being assigned

If the "Wifi" part isnt working you shouldnt be able to DHCP which comes after so no IP would be assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Check the router channel is a value between 1 to 11 some android phones don't like it when it goes beyond 11 so if its set to auto on the router there is a risk this may happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

I am having this problem for a long long time. The only way I can get android phones and tablets to work is to use dnset app. They join Wi-Fi but have no internet access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

morphman wrote: »
    I am having this problem for a long long time. The only way I can get android phones and tablets to work is to use dnset app. They join Wi-Fi but have no internet access.
    called over with an older Android device, works fine. .

IPv6 DNS is now my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Will look at IPv6 shortly.

For current IP and DNS, it picks up everything fine.

What I did notice, is the Android when using DHCP or Static, it seems to force Google DNS on 8.8.8.8. any attempt to change it to my router as primary reverts it on a reboot of the Android.

WiFi channel is auto rotating on best available. Will play around with changing it at a later stage.

Thanks for all the info so far. I'll also check out that dnset app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Might be a profile issue
    Change the SSID and see if they can connect that way

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

Sin City wrote:
    Might be a profile issue Change the SSID and see if they can connect that way

I tried that and everything else, forget network, static up etc. Tried multiple routers all with the same result

Advertisement