Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is virgin any good?

Options
  • 14-12-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I am thinking about switching from my current broadband provider to virgin. Was wondering people who already have virgin are you happy with it? Is the speed and all good? Does it have a lot of disconnections or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

I've had it since December of last year and can't say enough good things about it. Don't have the tv, just the 360mb broadband and phone. Get the full 360mb pretty much all the time.

Only disconnection I've had so far (touch wood!) was a couple of months ago when their entire network was down around the country for around 12 hours. I was in work for most of it, so didn't really affect me anyway.

I do see a lot of complaints about it here on boards, but we're in one of their newer areas (Wexford Town) so maybe there's not as many people using it yet as in other cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Its very good had it since UPC days. Only negative was a spell with contention in my area and after an upgrade done to alleviate the situation solid ever since. Never go back to ADSL or copper broadband nightmare when i had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I was running upc/virgin media in 5 different homes throughout dublin over the last 10 years. I never had a single issue with it.

Only for I just moved abroad I would be still using their service.

They have an awful modem since they rebranded to Virgin but if you don't want to do any config changes to the modem this wont be noticed.

Edit:
    Its probably the only thing I miss about living in Ireland :P (Fast/Stable/Reliable Internet)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

+1 For Virgin Media, I've just upgraded to the 360Mbps package after trying and getting of Vodafone Gigabit "1000Mbps" fiber. I can nearly always max out my virgin service package, the fiber couldn't even reach 40% of what they advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Virgin media broadband is IMO top notch.

Virgin media television is IMO absolutely totally abysmal and basically unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Consensus from my neighbours is Virgin for Broadband and anyone else for TV.

I would add that the software for the virgin router lacks some functionality that is included as an option but just doesnt work - such as adding timed restrictions to specific MAC addresses.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have them for years. Speed wise etc, no problems. I do get issues with the WiFi dropping and reconnecting on certain devices however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

antodeco wrote: »
    I have them for years. Speed wise etc, no problems. I do get issues with the WiFi dropping and reconnecting on certain devices however.

I had this issue.

But I added an Orbi Mesh system to all areas in the house which resolved the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

[QUOTE=antodeco;108923632.. I do get issues with the WiFi dropping and reconnecting on certain devices however.[/QUOTE]

That stopped for me when I changed the wifi channel from 'auto' to a numbered channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

With them 6 months now and they are by far the best internet provider I've been with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Seems a very expensive service no?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

who_ru wrote: »
    Seems a very expensive service no?

They're a premium provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hi
    I'm looking to change provider. Sky have increased their change mid contract (which I thought was Illegal) and I'm paying €71 a month for a basic package which I think is too much.
    I'm thinking of moving to Work or Virgin but have a few concerns.
    Firstly, I've heard bad things about the others customer service. Sky can be a pain in the hoop but you can usually get them on the phone at least.
    Secondly, I'd be worried about the time it would take to switch, being without internet for 10 days etc is not an option for us.
    Lastly, if anybody on here has switched, is it a big annoyance going from the sky remote/system that you are used to to a different one?

Any advise offered greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

HBC08 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking to change provider. Sky have increased their change mid contract (which I thought was Illegal) and I'm paying €71 a month for a basic package which I think is too much.
    Firstly, I've heard bad things about the others customer service. Sky can be a pain in the hoop but you can usually get them on the phone at least.
    Secondly, I'd be worried about the time it would take to switch, being without internet for 10 days etc is not an option for us.
    Lastly, if anybody on here has switched, is it a big annoyance going from the sky remote/system that you are used to to a different one?

Virgin is excellent.

Sky can change the contract rates, but they have to give you an option to cancel if you're not happy with the changes.

Sky and Virgin are not related, so there's no "switching" as such, you can order Virgin (if its available at your address) and once its active then it's up to you to cancel the Sky service (usually 30 days notice). Virgin is usually installed within 24 or 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hi

I switched tv from Virgin to Sky a while back....Sky is lightyears ahead.
    I still have Virgin Broadband and never had any issue.
    Would you consider virgin for broadband and sky for tv? I would check Bonkers.ie to see what options you have.

If they changed contract you can renegotiate usually? i would contact sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Hi

1. You only hear the bad stories, I've only had good experiences with them personally.
    2. Signup to them first, when an engineer is booked to setup your service... cancel your Sky (which is via the phone line, Virgin in cable) so no downtime
    3. Personally, I'd stick with Sky for the TV and Virgin for the broadband only - no other service comes close to the ease of use and selection from a Sky Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DalaryousPT

I was very, VERY skeptical when my internet provider was about to switch from UPC to Virgin.

I must say that Virgin has been very stable and offering consinstent good speed. I host a server at home for work purposes and never had issues (after switching to IPv4 ofc). I've heard so many negative stories that I'm too afraid to move away from Virgin, even if I'd end up paying half.

So yes, go for it!

The only thing that actually disappointed me would be the tech support "engineers". I might have been unlucky but with the few people I spoke, their knowledge was as good as "follow this oversimplified standard template guide" so don't bother. But hey, if you know what you do, you'll hardly need them.

On a positive note, reps in Virgin Forum have been 5 stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Anyone ever had problems with certain streaming apps not working with them? The new smart hub 3 router and everything fine then a few days ago the likes of the rte player will load to initial screen but just can't get connection, happens on smart TV, iPad. Phone. I have access to an nearby flats WiFi and he has the old upc router and all streaming apps work perfect.
    Would this have anything to do with ipv6 over ipv4?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Anyone ever had problems with certain streaming apps not working with them? The new smart hub 3 router and everything fine then a few days ago the likes of the rte player will load to initial screen but just can't get connection, happens on smart TV, iPad. Phone. I have access to an nearby flats WiFi and he has the old upc router and all streaming apps work perfect.
    Would this have anything to do with ipv6 over ipv4?

No. The RTE Player is generally muck. Doesn't matter what provider you're with. If YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix etc are working, then you know it's a RTE problem.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... a few days ago the likes of the rte player will load to initial screen but just can't get connection, happens on smart TV, iPad. Phone. ...

They recently updated RTE player. Your devices have you got the latest version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement