Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Regret work promotion

Options
  • 15-01-2019 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was promoted at work a few months ago and I hate it. The workload is much bigger than I expected and I'm finding the level of responsibility very difficult. My staff are not really experienced enough for me to delegate work to them. The stress of it all is starting to affect my health. I'm seriously thinking of asking to be demoted and for my old job back.

Has anyone ever done this? Or any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

I was promoted at work a few months ago and I hate it. The workload is much bigger than I expected and I'm finding the level of responsibility very difficult. My staff are not really experienced enough for me to delegate work to them. The stress of it all is starting to affect my health. I'm seriously thinking of asking to be demoted and for my old job back.

Has anyone ever done this? Or any advice?

I have. No job or promotion is worth sacrificing your happiness or health. I can't stress that enough.
    I'm in a job now which I'm very happy in, have moved up the ladder again and have recently had the chance to get another promotion but rejected it because I knew it would make me unhappy.
    Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

You need to start delegating and stop trying to do it all yourself. Otherwise the staff will never get up to speed.

If you are not comfortable with that, maybe the role doesn't suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Delegate. If the staff aren't up to it should they really be there?

I delegate and then help out as needed while also taking on my own work load.

As a previous poster has said the people you are over won't learn if you aren't giving them the tasks.

• Administrators Posts: 13,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I agree, how are the staff supposed to gain experience if they aren't given the work? If you need more specifically experienced staff then you need to tell management to hire them. Being in management comes with its own challenges. But trust that the people the company employed are capable of doing the job. Give them the work and then oversee it. Check in regularly to see if they're OK with it, if they've any questions.

Advertisement