Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Screening

Options
  • 16-08-2018 9:23am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All
    I am looking around at a full health screen. I'm Mayo based so have looked in Galway.
    The cost is pretty high, but health is wealth and I lost a friend to cancer a month ago and it has put the frighteners on me.

I can get 100 euro back on my health cover so its around 460 euro then on top of that.

Has anybody done the likes of the Bon Securs, Beacon clinic HS programs?

Just want to make sure its worth the cost or maybe I'm just as well to get a full blood screening at my doctor.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Interest to declare: I’m a GP.

I think these screenings are complete horse****. All I’ve ever seen them do is create health anxiety with minor abnormalities that in fact aren’t clinically relevant. I’d sooner recommend you see a GP who doesn’t blindly do a load of tests you just don’t need.

Im sure there are those who will have a story about how something significant was picked up (I’ve yet to hear one myself).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Interest to declare: I’m a GP.

I think these screenings are complete horse****. All I’ve ever seen them do is create health anxiety with minor abnormalities that in fact aren’t clinically relevant. I’d sooner recommend you see a GP who doesn’t blindly do a load of tests you just don’t need.

Im sure there are those who will have a story about how something significant was picked up (I’ve yet to hear one myself).

Cheers for the advice.
    I booked in to get a set of bloods done with my doc for next monday and just a quick checkup on a fluidy chest I've had for 3-4 months.
    Won't cost me as much as those screenings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes. If you have symptoms... such as fluid on your chest... that's not screening.

Screening is when you have no symptoms.
    Commonly made error by patients....and doctors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wesser wrote: »
    Yes. If you have symptoms... such as fluid on your chest... that's not screening.

Screening is when you have no symptoms.
    Commonly made error by patients....and doctors.

Ah ya, I was going to get the bloods done as my screening.
    Coincidentally I have that chest also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

As said earlier - sounds like the packages you'd get for generic screening on few hundreds are lot of crap.

You'd need to work with a GP to identify a prioritization for what type of checks are appropriate for you now. Next year you may find some more :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Even the medical dramas say that full body screenings are bull****. In House for example, they always resist full body MRIs because they know it'll throw up anomalies everywhere and they'll waste time chasing down irrelevant blobs on a scan.

The same applies to 23 and me. You know yourself if you're healthy. If you eat well, excercise and can get up and down a flight of stairs without being out of breath. After that, regular GP visits is all you should do.

Advertisement