Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish newspaper archive access

• 19-02-2018 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know of any free access to newspaper archives going at the moment or soon. Primarily looking for access to the Limerick Leader newspapers. Any 24 access free trials upcoming etc.
    Have emailed the local library also to see if they have them in a searchable format akin to Irish news archive etc,

On the search for old photos and articles related to a certain topic.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Check if your county library has free access to it.

I know that Fingal does.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Cheers.
    As I said above just waiting on a reply now.
    thanks

Yes, but I meant whichever is the head library for your county, usually with the archive attached.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

The Limerick Leader (1905 - current) is available on Irish News Archive, so should be available in most Public Libraries as pinkypinky said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just a warning that the years 1971-1988 are not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The INA website is incredibly slow and the OCR on older articles is really very poor so be prepared to be very patient and able to re-visit if doing it from a library.

On free weekends it's basically too slow to use

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

L1011 wrote: »
    The INA website is incredibly slow and the OCR on older articles is really very poor so be prepared to be very patient and able to re-visit if doing it from a library.

On free weekends it's basically too slow to use

It's ridiculous how slow it is at times. What's that about? Poor servers?

Not too long ago IGRS posted on Facebook about 'considerable' improvements to the site but I see no evidence of that.

It's a real pain as it's a brilliant resource otherwise.:confused::(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Putting my tech hat on, I'd take a guess at database scalability - it was effectively an archive of INM papers when it launched and it now has many multiple of that in place. It can be very hard to make a system designed for one amount of data work with lots of times that amount of data. At least not without throwing huge financial resources at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

L1011 wrote: »
    It can be very hard to make a system designed for one amount of data work with lots of times that amount of data. At least not without throwing huge financial resources at it.

This is the trouble, it is a victim of its own success, but has limited funds.

It varies also in different libraries. DCLA is my favourite library, because it has so much at hand on the shelves, but the computers are old and slow. At times on any day, INA is terribly slow in DCLA, but after about 1700, it usually speeds up.

I should probably mention it to the staff, but they are generally so good, I don't want to be too critical.

• Advertisement

I've been using it at home for the past few months (got a good offer on 12 months sub last year) on a new PC with a decent internet connection and often as not I'll flick over to something else while I wait for it to complete a search it's that slow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

I find it's quicker if I just search one newspaper at a time. Just means I have to try and keep better research notes :-)
    There was a 40% off offer at the Back To Our Past show at the weekend - don't know if it's still working but it's BTOP40.

I had to give up any attempt at looking for the common names in my tree, and for my non-genealogy work where I'm looking for terms like "public house" it's the Times or nothing really. I'd have an annual subscription if it was faster which unfortunately doesn't help in funding making it faster before that!

Another issue with the site is that you only get ten results at a time which really adds to the frustration.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm sure they're aware of the limitations of their site and hopefully working to address them. I don't think it's useful for us to keep moaning about it here though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm not moaning. It's a great resource but the speed of delivery is beyond a joke.
    No other website that I use is that slow or even close.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement