Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Oh definitely that would be even better because then they’d probably take gormless grumpy Chesney away with them too😀

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Barbie2k23

How come Corrie or Emmerdale ain’t on for an hour Xmas day

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Probably know Eastenders are going to wipe the floor with them rating wise and just aren't bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭DT2016

Disgrace we aren’t getting hour long episodes first time in 29 year this has happened. We are getting extra episodes during the week but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

Jenny sold the pub as it was making losses. She got a wad of money for that. Now she's buying it back with stolen money - how much of the original cash has she left?

Why would she buy a loss making pub? Because it's in her blood? Eh no. She's only in the pub 6 years or so, I don't count that as "in the blood".

I would absolutely love a reintroduction of Vicki the posh granddaughter of Alec Gilroy, she married Steve McDonald as a teenager, or at least very young.

She'd be ideal to come back as a rich lady, who buys the pub and sends a few ripples down the street.

Scriptwriters are you listening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Actually yes. Have the scriptwriters forgotten that Jenny sold the pub about 2-3 months ago because it was loss making, now she is buying it back presumably at a higher price than she sold it for... or is it Daisy who is buying the pub and just hiring Jenny to help her run it? (because Jenny did such a great job originally).

The real reason of course is both Jenny and Daisy have no reason to be hanging around Coronation street if they don't have the pub. Jenny is unemployed and renting a room off (?) and Daisy is unemployed and crashing with Jenny in the house share after getting booted out by Daniel.

They don't own pubs in the UK. If she bought anything it's the lease, which doesn't cost that much, and she wouldn't have gotten that much in return for it. The breweries own the pubs, and the buildings. If she's needing a mortgage size amount of money to buy it now it's probably a case of the brewery selling the freehold, which would mean Jenny would then own the while building.

(I've only been half paying attention to Corrie lately so I could be completely wrong on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Its actually hard to know what the exact situation is because they haven't really explained what Jenny was selling and how much she got.... but your explanation actually does sound about right.

Of course, its still nuts to sell a loss making lease hold to then go back and buy the actual pub.

No, it doesn't make sense from Jenny's POV. At least when she was just running it she wasn't financially at risk if it failed. No idea why she thinks she'd be able to make enough money out of it now. Although, she's not exactly planning on paying for it out of her own pocket, I suppose, but even then she'd be solely responsible for all the running costs and what not.

I get that they like to shake things up every now and then with the pub but I don't know why they shut it down just to have the same people end up back in it. Maybe they needed the space on the stages for other sets or something. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Was it not sold by Newton and Ridley and sold to a buyer who were going to make the staff reapply for their own jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

they - (the new owners) were going to flatten it and make flats . Jenny sentiments got in the way of that one - maybe sentiments over profit . But its a silly storyline, shut down the pub then open it up again with the same ones running the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Must be getting their storylines from Fair City...😕

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This character is exiting in Summer 2024.

Alex Bain who plays Simon Barlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭prunudo

Serious case of small man syndrome from his character lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the footballer Tommy staying permanently

Best part was Todd, love him

They should write it that Tommy O has an affair with Tracy Barlow haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There was certainly chemistry between the pair last night.

I wonder what will they do with him?

Knowing how goofey Steve acts in the soap she would most probably say "Steve babe I have been unfaithful" and then him in his carry on voice will go "ok who is he I am gonna punch his lights out!!" - and then she says " its with Tommy" and then he says "Tommy who" then she says "Tommy O , he is a footballer" and then he goes "THE Tommy O ?" - then she says "yes, steve please dont be angry" and then he goes "you should have said it was Tommy O - he is a legend , you can have his babies if you want .... can you get me his autograph and a VIP ticket for me and Tim?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I thought that's what they were getting at last night also with Tracey and Steve talking about taking a year off from each other..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I love Tracy - they should have her in it more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭steinbock123

The whole episode last night was stupid I thought.

Imagine if your wife just arrived in with a one way ticket leaving TOMORROW MORNING FFS, and you gleefully head off, without even saying goodbye to your only son.!! I know how long it takes me to prepare for a weeks holiday in Spain, and Peter heads off with only a shoulder bag.

If the actor who plays Peter needed a year off or wanted to leave the show, they could have had him arrested and jailed for killing Stephen with the car.

Anyway, I’m convinced the scriptwriters live in a parallel universe, where mobile phones are either uncharged or switched off or have no signal 80% of the time, where everyone has radar like hearing (to listen to conversations 500 yards away), and where most people get to make a “fresh start” at some stage or other.

I think Peter's exit is a classic case of a soap actor not doing what the powers that be wanted. They plan storylines months, maybe years, in advance and if an actor makes the choice to leave themselves then they have to give enough notice that a proper exit can be worked into everything else that's going on.

I'd assume something like that has happened here. Initially he was only supposed to be leaving to do Panto, then suddenly he was leaving for good. This one way ticket thing smells like a panto exit, one they didn't plan on having to follow up for the other characters, and then they just didn't bother changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

Door is wide open for "Peetah" to come back. I think they are just having another go at the mental health story rather than sending him to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Lennox Gilbey

Coronation Street fails to make top ten Christmas Day TV shows for the first time in decades as EastEnders soars

Beaten by Dr. Who. 🤦

see how they change things or maybe how the newspapers sensualise stories -last summer I am almost sure the papers said "Explosive exit for Peter Barlow when he leaves soap at christmas" - what a damp squib it was in the end. ridiculous.

again they hinted that Karen in EE was going to die in the cafe fire , I am pretty sure they did

• Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chris as Peter is a big loss to the show, great actor and character

Those headlines are usually phrased as a question. "Explosive Exit For Peter Barlow At Christmas?" and then the article speculates a few ways he could go, before acknowledging they have no idea how he'll leave.

• Advertisement

New guy is always annoying AF

Advertisement