Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Golfers.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Forgot about JD. Was a massive fan of his in the mid to late 90s, even though he seemed to spend most of it self destructing. I remember getting his autograph when I was about 10 at the Irish open. I was delighted with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

fullstop wrote: »
    Forgot about JD. Was a massive fan of his in the mid to late 90s, even though he seemed to spend most of it self destructing. I remember getting his autograph when I was about 10 at the Irish open. I was delighted with myself!

Wasn’t JD charged at one stage for assaulting his wife , but hey , I guess you buy a few rounds of drinks and it’ makes you a great lad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads - this thread has me going deep :D

Here is a back story to why we have such a great relationship with all these golf stars in Ireland.

In Ireland in the late 80s - we didn't have big sport events - we didn't have Olympics , or big soccer games (just yet) , or sporting events. Golf was doing something very different and groundbreaking for Ireland.

And you have to admit ( a cigarettes company), Carrols were totally visionary in golf here and made Ireland the country it is in golf. But in truth and in a real Irish way, it was all about back handers. In true 80s / 90s style - it was probably cash :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/murphy-s-call-time-on-appearance-money-1.180072

Anyway - in the sun of Portmarnock 1990 - I'm looking at the game of golf by the dream of the Open Championship of 88 and 89 on BBC.

The winner Mark Calcavecchia (1989) is on the winner circuit - something that is a year long circuit and still is at this point - to a level we do not understand. You can make more money off the course then on.

Anyway - as a kid , I'm looking for autographs , gloves, balls - one of them annoying kids I hate in older age.

Coming off his round at 18 - Mark throws me a ball - a Maxfli - It was an amazing moment for me as a kid.

I've moved house 3 times since and I've got a good few things in golf over the years.

But - If I open the top drawer next to my bed - I can always grab my Mark Calcavecchia golf ball :D

Jaysus - that is 31 years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

rooney30 wrote: »
    Wasn’t JD charged at one stage for assaulting his wife , but hey , I guess you buy a few rounds of drinks and it’ makes you a great lad

Dont try drag the thread down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Lads - this thread has me going deep :D

Here is a back story to why we have such a great relationship with all these golf stars in Ireland.

In Ireland in the late 80s - we didn't have big sport events - we didn't have Olympics , or big soccer games (just yet) , or sporting events. Golf was doing something very different and groundbreaking for Ireland.

And you have to admit ( a cigarettes company), Carrols were totally visionary in golf here and made Ireland the country it is in golf. But in truth and in a real Irish way, it was all about back handers. In true 80s / 90s style - it was probably cash :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/murphy-s-call-time-on-appearance-money-1.180072

Anyway - in the sun of Portmarnock 1990 - I'm looking at the game of golf by the dream of the Open Championship of 88 and 89 on BBC.

The winner Mark Calcavecchia (1989) is on the winner circuit - something that is a year long circuit and still is at this point - to a level we do not understand. You can make more money off the course then on.

Anyway - as a kid , I'm looking for autographs , gloves, balls - one of them annoying kids I hate in older age.

Coming off his round at 18 - Mark throws me a ball - a Maxfli - It was an amazing moment for me as a kid.

I've moved house 3 times since and I've got a good few things in golf over the years.

But - If I open the top drawer next to my bed - I can always grab my Mark Calcavecchia golf ball :D

Jaysus - that is 31 years ago :eek:

I would of been there my sister worked at carrolls at the time so free tickets , I remember when langer walked past the crowd was cheering yippee because of his yips ! Woosie was there too and I remember he was giving autographs to kids like me and chatting to everyone, seemed a really good guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Favourite Irish golfers would be Padraig and Shane, no big surprises. Rory can fall into an all-time favourite for me.

European would be a large range of golfers (wont go through all) over the years. Started watching in late 90s, so liked Jose Maria Olazebal a lot. Nowadays Tommy would be in there.

American, has to be Woods. No way can you be 11 and start watching golf and not want to play the game. Level of his own. Loved Duval too.

ROTW: Els mainly, Goosen too. None i don't like anyway.

Edit: should point out Robert Rock too. Seems like a nice sound guy on TV, same in person a d seems very well respected amongst his peers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Great thread Fix,

Irish: Rory comes in under all time great so it has to be Padraig. Super nice guy. I loosely sort of knew him in his amateur days and when he turned pro (who remembers the old Boyne Links ?), and have randomly bumped into him on occasion and he’ll always say hello. Probably could have picked up another major or two had he not left Bob Terrence and tried to change his swing after winning the third one.

European: back in the day, Seve all the way. Could watch him play all day long. Always liked Langer and Ollie too. Of current players, hard to say, they almost all seem decent but I’d love to see Kaymer make a proper comeback to where he was. Was lucky enough to play with Woosnam once and I didn’t know what to expect, wouldn’t have been his biggest fan, but he was absolutely sound, completely changed my opinion on him. Nick Dougherty is sound too, played with him in a corporate thing back around 2007/8 when he was competitive, seriously impressive golfer at the time, and someone you’d imagine would be great to sh1te talk with over a few pints. He did an informal Q&A at the event I was at and some of his comments were very funny, particularly regarding coaching and coaches.

American: showing my age but always liked Couples and Love III. Never warmed to Tiger, despite happily acknowledging his greatness. No real reason, no more than I can explain why I’d support one football team over another. Would always have taken Phil over Tiger.
    Anecdotally, I’ve heard JT is sound from someone I’d trust so he’d be my pick of the modern crop. Rickie does seem a decent sort too in fairness.

RoTW: Els, Goosen and Nick Price. Remember watching Goosen down in Mt Juliet at the AmEx and it was other worldly how he was hitting it. Actually Nick Price was the same, a completely different sound when he struck it.

All time great: many won’t agree but Rory is the best golfer I’ve ever seen. I know he won’t finish with anything even close to Tiger’s career, but give me him over Tiger any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Very hard to say I hate any player, but I can’t stand Hatton and wouldn’t be a fan of Matt Wallace either. No reason other than their on course demeanours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

All time great, Tom Watson, favourite golfer is Miguel Jiminez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Irish Golfer - Harrington. He was quality back then

European - kaymer

American - Tiger

All time Great - Tiger = “the most dominant golfer in the history of the game. No one comes anywhere near him. The most skilful player we’ve ever seen”. - Arnold Palmer.

Rest of World - Els or Goosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Irish - Rory. My generation, the most talented and successful Irish golfer. I like listening to him too, which a lot don't. I also hate the stick he gets for the Irish / Northern Irish / British thing, and probably like him more for having to deal with it. I've heard he's sound too.

European - Tommy Fleetwood seems like a nice guy

US - Outside of Tiger, I never support any US golfers. Maybe Spieth because of his erratic nature he can be exciting to watch.

All time - Tiger is better than Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Irish. Harrington
    European. Sergio or Poulter.
    US. Jordan Speith or Justin Thomas.
    All time. Tiger
    Not so great......the Prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

All time favorite:

Seve. Such flair and charisma.

Irish:

Paddy, Shane. A shout out for my Dad's fav Christy Snr.

USA

Jack , Tiger & Tom Watson

ROI

Oost and Greg Norman.

No Time For:

Player & Phil the fake

Newbies

Xander

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ok Fix, I'll try and go 'deep' on this one.

My first exposure to golf was watching it on TV with my Dad. My first favourite player was Jose Maria Olazabal, mostly due to the name, the pronunciation of it fascinated me, allied to the fact his second name was my mother's first, all very exciting for a young lad watching him win the Masters in 1994.

Loved Woosy as well because he was small and temperamental. Nick Price also, always like his swing and manner. Payne Stewart beating Phil in the US Open of 99 also left an impression on me. As a kid anything unusual always sticks out and his plus fours look definitely did.

Probably the first tournament I remember watching properly was the 96 Masters, hated Faldo as a golfer, so boring, but loved everything about Greg Norman, from his swing to his overall demeanor and personality. His nickname and the hat didn't hurt either following on from Crocodile Dundee :pac:

Rory always reminds me so much of Greg, exceptional golfer (especially driver), but with their head screwed on realising there's more to life than golf. Greg is probably even more naturally talented than Rory, whereas Rory was born with a club in his hand much like Tiger, Greg I was reading recently didn't take up golf until after giving up on his surfing career at 15 :eek: He popped up to nearly win another open in his 50s

My Dad passed at the end of 1996, so I didn't actually watch the '97 Masters and always regret missing out on that monumental moment in the history of golf. Started watching again more closely from '99 and wanted to love Sergio from Medinah but he soon lost me.

Tiger, what can you say about Tiger?! 2000 was incredible and that holed chip/pitch at 16 in 2005 was my most joyous moment watching golf. In your life?!

Obviously a fan of Ernie considering my username :o Probably found Phil the most entertaining of this time period however, never a dull moment with Phil the thrill! Also a fan of Furyk and Toms at this time, have to admire the shorter hitting guys who could compete through precision play. And Jim's swing was a joy in a time of the prototype swing.

Think I would have really liked watching golf when Seve and Trevino were in their pomp. Golf seems to be becoming a bit more diverse again lately in terms of characters and swings. Bubba, Byrson, Wolff, Johnson, Brooks and Morikawa are all interesting and different for varying reasons.

Missed out loads but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I watched some seve, greg etc when very young, but aside from that bit, I'm later to golf than most others. I don't have the same level of emotional connection to players that seems to be here. I probably watched F1/bike racing and admired (at the time) the likes of senna, schumacher or valentino rossi in the same way that people here talk about golfers.

I always knew tiger was winning everything but didn't really get to see any of it and wasn't a golfer through all those years. Also missed rory's majors. I watch golf a lot now. I've still never seen (live) one of Rory's incredible streaks :o. If rory plays well one day, when I manage to turn it on live, then he falls apart. Numerious times when I arrive Rory goes into a collapse. I may be his jinx :o I suppose I've seen flashes of brilliance such as how he closed out the irish open a few years ago.

Bear in mind that I haven't been following as long or as closely as others, because my picks could be considered off, ie no seve, tiger, phil etc

All time favorite:

Speith (You're joking! Why? Not even nearly the best golfer in the field, but constantly gets it done when he's no right to. I compare this to the likes of, say, schumacher's early wins despite being in inferior cars to the best of the day)

Irish:

Paddy, Shane, Rory, Power, Mcguire, Meadow (anyone Irish, it doesn't matter I'll always root for whoever is in the field) Shane showed how good he can be by destroying the field in portrush, then went on the piss cancelling his golf plans and ending any period of top form instantly. I'll never forgive him for that, HOWEVER we'd probably all do the same thing ourselves :rolleyes:

USA

Would like to see finau win, other than that as mentioned above speith. Morikawa is great and the perfect antidote to the ball-goes-too-far mob who trout out whatever the commentators (failed golfers) tell them to think.

Rest of world

Hovland is great, liking that his is european (one of ours :rolleyes:)

No Time For:

Utterly hate Phil. Bryson. Billy Horschel. Dislike many more of the americans, Jt, bubba watson, wolfe, take your pick.

Newbies

Morikawa, Hovland as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Hovland seems like good craic, if you've ever seen any of his interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I've still never seen (live) one of Rory's incredible streaks :o. If rory plays well one day, when I manage to turn it on live, then he falls apart. Numerious times when I arrive Rory goes into a collapse. I may be his jinx :o

If you could stop watching golf from now until after The Masters it would be great, thanks !! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Amazed to see such dislike for Gary Player!
    I love to watch his stuff, always comes across as a very positive fella. Big fan of his.
    My fave ever is Shane.
    Love JD as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Irish Golfer

Paddy, that approach he played at The Open still has me shaking my head.
    Smile on him, he's living the dream.

European

Seve, I mean how can it not be?

American

Tom Watson, again a great guy, always smiling and how close he came to The Open not so long ago. Close second Arnie, his biography was class

All time Great

Tiger, Tiger, Tiger. He destroyed everyone back in 2000/2001, that US Open was surreal, they were truly all playing for second.

The Wild Card / Good Laugh

Henrick, got a wicked sense of humour. Have to say Westy is an old fave too.

Rest of World

Player, great shape for his age, leads a great life

Not So Great

Not sure really, not a fan of conservative golfers or those who was their talent

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement