Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rusty ABS rings

Options
  • 02-03-2021 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Evening folks

Anyone got any good tips to clean rusty ABS rings?

Have the bike a few months now and slowly trying to tidy it up the way I'd like it

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Evening folks

Anyone got any good tips to clean rusty ABS rings?

Have the bike a few months now and slowly trying to tidy it up the way I'd like it

Rob

I've found the best cure for a rusty ring is a good ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Electrolytic rust removal is simple and cheap, a dumb battery charger and a bucket , piece of rebar and a bag of washing soda
    Mix soda into water, connect the rebar to the positive clamp and the Negative to the ring, plug the charger in and leave it over night.
    Next day the ring will be clean and the bucket have a load of rusty scum.
    Brush the ring off with a dishbrush and dry it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Electrolytic rust removal is simple and cheap, a dumb battery charger and a bucket , piece of rebar and a bag of washing soda
    Mix soda into water, connect the rebar to the positive clamp and the Negative to the ring, plug the charger in and leave it over night.
    Next day the ring will be clean and the bucket have a load of rusty scum.
    Brush the ring off with a dishbrush and dry it off.

Cheers will have to youtube that one and see how its done,

First step removing the wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Hammerite have a gel thing which removes rust as well. I'm not sure how good it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I've used the Hammerite found it very good.

• Advertisement

I've used the Hammerite found it very good.

Ah ok cool, I'll have a look in the local hardware shop at the weekend and see if they have it.

What's best to apply on it afterwards to keep it clean?

I've seen some recommend ACF50 and other use waxoyl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Ah ok cool, I'll have a look in the local hardware shop at the weekend and see if they have it.

What's best to apply on it afterwards to keep it clean?

I've seen some recommend ACF50 and other use waxoyl?

You won't want anything flinging off or dripping onto brake discs so perhaps a bit of ACF50 on a cloth and give them a wipe.

I actually thinking XCF anti-corrosion spray is better than ACF-50, BikeSocial did a test and found it was the longest lasting in terms of corrosion prevention.

Fabio wrote: »
    You won't want anything flinging off or dripping onto brake discs so perhaps a bit of ACF50 on a cloth and give them a wipe.

I actually thinking XCF anti-corrosion spray is better than ACF-50, BikeSocial did a test and found it was the longest lasting in terms of corrosion prevention.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as I would be sure to overapply it!

Cheers

Advertisement