Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to plant

Options
  • 28-02-2021 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a large moote wall surrounding my property, it looks ugly and I'd like to plant something to hide it, the soil make up is really very poor and consists of a heavy blue mud with blue shale through it and with very steep walls on it, would normal grass seed grow on it or what type of hedging would grow on it, something low maintenance would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 michaeljh1965

Hi! And if planted wicker grapes, would he be able to hide the problem? It doesn't need a lot of care and grows densely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry to be difficult, but what is a moote wall? If you have heavy clay berberis, cotoneaster or euonymus would be happy enough, but not sure what you are doing with the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

A moote is a large wall made out of the soil or clay/mud, it's about 8 to 10 meters high at the back of the site and I'd like to grow something on it, grass or whatever would grow on heavy blue soil

Hi! And if planted wicker grapes, would he be able to hide the problem? It doesn't need a lot of care and grows densely enough.

Wicker grapes?

Maybe it reads 'planted with grapes' though I am not sure how that would work.

I am totally intrigued by the idea of an 8 to 10 m wall - that's huge! Is it old? or serving a particular purpose? Any chance of a photo? Which way does it face and what kind of finish does it have?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Maybe it reads 'planted with grapes' though I am not sure how that would work.

I am totally intrigued by the idea of an 8 to 10 m wall - that's huge! Is it old? or serving a particular purpose? Any chance of a photo? Which way does it face and what kind of finish does it have?

Its 3 months old, it's a site that is stepped so its lower at the front with a large wall between the levels, its 8-10 meters at its highest point all along the back and sloping from left to right around the middle of the site, its main purpose is as a wind break to the ground at the back where I plan to grow native hedges and trees along with apple trees and grow a garden next year, it's a west facing wall on moderately exposed ground near the coast, the make up of the wall is a blue heavy clay with a blue shale mixed through it, I'm just wondering if theres anything at all that will grow on it, I'd throw a couple of bags of grass seed on it if I thought it would grow but ideally would like a hardy native hedge or Bush that would take to it

It sounds intriguing, but I am not really clear about it. If you grassed a vertical wall how would you maintain it? and how would you grow hedging on it? That's a heck of a height to support itself, I have seen gabions used in that situation but not just clay.

I dont want to maintain it, I'd let it grow and hopefully be maintenance free

Advertisement