Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike prices Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I like ujm bikes like I had when I was younger (cafe racer/bobber project maybe), but I'm open to anything really around 600cc to get me back on the road (CBRs or SVs). I could just have unrealistic expectations too.

Cafe racers and bobbers are usually quite pricey for what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I like ujm bikes like I had when I was younger (cafe racer/bobber project maybe), but I'm open to anything really around 600cc to get me back on the road (CBRs or SVs). I could just have unrealistic expectations too.
    Might get this for a bit cheaper.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-gsfx/27316767

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's a chap on FB who is selling a good few bikes brought in from Germany. They are older bikes but look very clean mostly.

Is he buying cheaply or what? How's it done I wonder?

He has a foreign name and is based in Middleton Co. Cork.

There's a chap on FB who is selling a good few bikes brought in from Germany. They are older bikes but look very clean mostly.

Is he buying cheaply or what? How's it done I wonder?

He has a foreign name and is based in Middleton Co. Cork.

Thought those bikes are polish.
    Not sure if any are in the country.
    I think he'll bring them in if you want one.....I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

You've no hope of getting a bobber over 125cc/250cc for that kind of money even most bog standard cruisers will be in excess of 2k now mate.

You'd probably pick up an older naked bike, or maybe a gpz or something.

There's a few lads bring in trailers full of European bikes every week either pre-ordered, or just a deal they found that they can make money off. Rarely are they top of the line newer expensive bikes, but some nice and rarer ones none the less.

Good luck on the hunt mate market place and donedeal be your best bets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I thought this was just me, I've been looking for a budget bike to return to after 20 odd years and while my budget is small (1500€) I used to remember buying bikes for a few hundred quid in my late teens & early twenties. Granted these were stuff that needed work and I'm happy to do that again but since biking is more of a hobby for me I'm finding it difficult to justify the money getting started again.

A friend of mine is selling her NTV650 for that amount atmo. Hasn't put the ad up yet. If you're interested I can get pics.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I thought this was just me, I've been looking for a budget bike to return to after 20 odd years and while my budget is small (1500€) I used to remember buying bikes for a few hundred quid in my late teens & early twenties. Granted these were stuff that needed work and I'm happy to do that again but since biking is more of a hobby for me I'm finding it difficult to justify the money getting started again.

There ya go, make an offer on that worst case ya pay €1500

Mjolnir wrote: »
    There ya go, make an offer on that worst case ya pay €1500

See 6 posts up ;)

blade1 wrote: »
    See 6 posts up ;)

Hahaha completely missed that, great minds though.
    If it runs well it would be a savage deal given the market at the minute

Hahaha completely missed that, great minds though.
    If it runs well it would be a savage deal given the market at the minute

Plenty of bike for the money.
    Just not a prizewinner in the looks department.

• Advertisement

Plenty of bike for the money.
    Just not a prizewinner in the looks department.

Luggage, heated grips, new batt are all nice bonuses.
    100% not a pretty bike but it'd be a nice work horse and forgiving to get back into the swing of things on.
    If the tires and chain are good I see fe€k all that could be wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

galwaytt wrote: »
    A friend of mine is selling her NTV650 for that amount atmo. Hasn't put the ad up yet. If you're interested I can get pics.

Here's a €1500 bike, attached.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

See 6 posts up ;)

Gone now...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Gone now...

Yeah, cheap bike for someone, full luggage and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Example..I'm looking at bikes asking around 2k and around 15-25 years old.
    5years ago they'd be asking 1k ....
    Why? Brexit and lockdown? Prices hardened before brexit though..so mainly lockdown.
    Lockdown makes people look for bikes they can 'fiddle' with in the shed or work on bikes they already have.
    There's a few traders starting to import from Germ, Poland, Japan.
    Showroom bikes with ncts.

lalababa wrote: »
    Example..I'm looking at bikes asking around 2k and around 15-25 years old.
    5years ago they'd be asking 1k ....
    Why? Brexit and lockdown? Prices hardened before brexit though..so mainly lockdown.
    Lockdown makes people look for bikes they can 'fiddle' with in the shed or work on bikes they already have.
    There's a few traders starting to import from Germ, Poland, Japan.
    Showroom bikes with ncts.

There's a vl800 with cosmetic damage and a shagged engine on fb marketplace for €2500 and some old scrap heap "project" 650 for €1000 if that's not an indication of how bad our current market is I honestly don't know what would tell ya apart from the €3k+ k1 gsxr's

There's a vl800 with cosmetic damage and a shagged engine on fb marketplace for €2500 and some old scrap heap "project" 650 for €1000 if that's not an indication of how bad our current market is I honestly don't know what would tell ya apart from the €3k+ k1 gsxr's

You can have a 1968 rusty honda 50 in Cork for €4250 or a 2006 Zzr1400 for €3700.

You can have a 1968 rusty honda 50 in Cork for €4250 or a 2006 Zzr1400 for €3700.

That black f4i with the monster logo couldn't sell for asking when I was buying my bike and has been up for sale every year for at least the last two.
    Now the clown that owns it has it down as an RR and for over €3k. There's an f4 for €3k.... an f4, great bikes not worth the sight of it though.
    I'm convinced these eejits are using random number generators for prices.

That black f4i with the monster logo couldn't sell for asking when I was buying my bike and has been up for sale every year for at least the last two.
    Now the clown that owns it has it down as an RR and for over €3k. There's an f4 for €3k.... an f4, great bikes not worth the sight of it though.
    I'm convinced these eejits are using random number generators for prices.

It's one thing a mint original bike commanding a higher price; it's another thing to tidy up a bike with a Matt black spray job and some decals off eBay and expect a buyer to pay for the "one of a kind" seller now thinks he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

All true lads, but when ye're putting your bikes up for sale the same principles still seem to apply - everyone seems to think their bike is the exception, the one that really stands out, the unicorn F4 that bucks the trend etc. Who do you think "sellers" are? Yep, you, me, and members here. We're all guilty of it.

Hasn't been a bargain round here for a long time. That NTV seems sensible, but short of an outright bargain, but.....the market is massively skewed the last 12 months.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    All true lads, but when ye're putting your bikes up for sale the same principles still seem to apply - everyone seems to think their bike is the exception, the one that really stands out, the unicorn F4 that bucks the trend etc. Who do you think "sellers" are? Yep, you, me, and members here. We're all guilty of it.

Hasn't been a bargain round here for a long time. That NTV seems sensible, but short of an outright bargain, but.....the market is massively skewed the last 12 months.

Not me anyway.
    I'll put up a fair price and stick to it.
    Give the buyer something back if he doesn't mess me about.
    I'll describe the condition of the bike on the phone and state the price is the price.
    Can't remember anyone ever being disappointed when they call to view bike.

Not me anyway.
    I'll put up a fair price and stick to it.
    Give the buyer something back if he doesn't mess me about.
    I'll describe the condition of the bike on the phone and state the price is the price.
    Can't remember anyone ever being disappointed when they call to view bike.

I honestly can't bring myself to part with my bike so won't be an issue for me.
    Saying that I'd be the same, I'd look at the market what it's realistically worth put it somewhere in the middle and the first honest and decent offer would take it with a bit of luck back.

I think there has been an uptake in motorbikes in 2020 as people dont want to be using public transport. And with more parking restrictions in parts of dublin bikes make more sense. More demand = higher prices.

But also people selling on donedeal/adverts are putting their dream price on their bikes. Or a price to scare away the tire kickers. I would say there is a massive difference in the average donedeal/adverts asking price versus actual selling price.

But it still drives me nuts that the price of a new bike in ireland will always be >10% the going price in neighboring countries. We get gouged.

There is a thread somewhere on how posting on donedeal/adverts is a joke and it really is. Not just bikes but anything. I was selling a phone, asking price was 100. This was a HTC smartphone. Met this guy in my apartment carpark, he said there was scraping on the back and offered me a tenner for it. Fecks sake.

As you said, people put up their dream asking price, just like property and then other people see whats being asked and put their prices up too.

Advertisement