Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I had thought the draw was a bit of an ego thing but have been convinced otherwise, so I'm open to people here changing my mind on hitting chips with check too.

I've seen fellas off mid teen handicaps pull off the shot regularly. But by pull off, I don't, mean they ended up on average closer to the hole than I'd have expected them to had they run it to the hole. But they hit it quite straight and it came to a sudden stop several feet before or after the hole. It's a chance of an up and down.

For me I'd say the liklihood of not pulling off the shot is higher, the consequence of not pulling it off is severe and the reward of pulling it off is at best equal to the reward of pulling off a bump and run.

I know you can take a few of the breaks out doing it this way, but the same could be said of using a more lofted club which to be is the easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I play with a guy off 5 who has this shot perfected, he used a 58 wedge, hands sort of forward, good divot even from 20 ft, works great for him, ball hits the green with a short run out, but he has practices it a lot and very much has the one chipping action and uses it for every chip, because it works.
    It's definitely a good idea, as long as you are making consistent contact then the result is always similar, it takes out some of the risk around the green. My go to shot near the green is definitely a bump and run 8i, but I have spent time practicing a similar shot with a 54 wedge it works well but it's the confidence to take such a quick swing for such a short shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Seems like this year is gona be big cycle with all the major brands releasing new model's for drivers, woods and rescues. Any many introducing irons too.

Anyone got their eye on anything?

I need a new 3 wood badly as still have an old Nike covert in the bag but think I might change both Driver and 3 wood! Maybe even rescue too depending on how much they gona set me back.

Really liking the look of the new Ping G425 range at the minute but gona hold off and see what SiM 2 looks like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

A lot of clubs on the way this year allright, even the SIM getting an upgrade. I like looking at all the new gear but to be honest it doesn't really interest me, the cost just far outweighs the benefits for me. Instead I'll have a look around and see if there are any deals on the outgoing models but I'm really only in the market for a 5W and 3H, probably only use one but want to pick up both anyway.

I'm still using a VRS covert driver, recently bought an M2 driver to go with M2 3W and 4H but not had a chance to hit it yet.

My plan for this year is to get a lot of rounds in as many unique Irish courses as possible, Lahinch, Tralee, Ballybunion, Carne and as many others as I can get to for a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have the M2 driver myself so not badly in need of an upgrade there could easily get another season out of it so depends if anything takes my fancy.

I am the same I like looking the reviews ect of all the new gear. there doesn't seem to be reduction in the older models though only 50 quid in the difference from the last ping g410 to this new one from what I see

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I have the M2 driver myself so not badly in need of an upgrade there could easily get another season out of it so depends if anything takes my fancy.

I am the same I like looking the reviews ect of all the new gear. there doesn't seem to be reduction in the older models though only 50 quid in the difference from the last ping g410 to this new one from what I see

I'd give it a while for the older clubs to drop, although the new drivers have been announced you can't actually do anything other than pre-order at the moment. I'd say come march when they are readily available is when decent pricing might kick in. Saying that I've already seen the Mizuno ST200 for less than €260 and the Cobra Speedzone was €299 in golf style Galway during the week. Problem as always will be stock, once they start the reductions we'll need to be quick. As I'm not looking for a driver though I think there will be value to be had at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I’m planning to upgrade the driver this year rom G30 to the new model and so far all reports are positive on its performance and I think it’s a decent upgrade for me.

I was looking at the irons, but some reviews comment on the gapping distance is to large. It’s never something I would have thought about before but I’ll need to test it myself. I always like 10 meters between my irons with the wedge starting at 105.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

I think this is actually the very absence of logic rather than there being any logic to it. Its an ego thing IMO, people like to hit a shot that the pros do and given that very few golfers can hit a drive 300 yards or stitch a 7i to 10 feet the most attainable type of "pro shot" is the chip shot with check. I'd agree there's very few who can even do it and you see players who have no business even attempting it trying it but let them on. There was an interesting video by golf mates a while back where they played a few holes with a man in his 70s playing off single digits, I think 4ish? His course management was fantastic and he swore by the bump and run. I know it made me re-evaluate shot selection around the greens. I'm generally a sand wedge guy with chips, I'd rarely try to check the ball but I would often aim to land say 10-15 ft short and let the ball roll up to the pin but looking at his technique I plan to use it more often, particularly when I'm 50ft+ from the pin.

Old Man Pat. There are a couple of videos with him actually, I watched them around Xmas and then started to implement his strategy. You really need to know your distances and they have to be fairly consistent. His distance judgement around the greens was phenomenal, pro level stuff. For each tee shot, you need to know how far out your shot will land and then look at the potential dangers there. If there's a bunker, or trees on the edge that will block your second shot if you're behind them, then you change the club. You eliminate any risk.

Same when you're looking at your approach. Instead of hitting a big high wedge or short iron that only works if it's dead accurate, run it up to the front of the green if that is possible. If there's a bunker protecting the front, go short or take a look at left or right. Ignore the pin unless it's in a very low risk position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Old Man Pat. There are a couple of videos with him actually, I watched them around Xmas and then started to implement his strategy. You really need to know your distances and they have to be fairly consistent. His distance judgement around the greens was phenomenal, pro level stuff. For each tee shot, you need to know how far out your shot will land and then look at the potential dangers there. If there's a bunker, or trees on the edge that will block your second shot if you're behind them, then you change the club. You eliminate any risk.

Same when you're looking at your approach. Instead of hitting a big high wedge or short iron that only works if it's dead accurate, run it up to the front of the green if that is possible. If there's a bunker protecting the front, go short or take a look at left or right. Ignore the pin unless it's in a very low risk position.

I played with a guy not a million miles from that. I was off 16 and hadn't a clue what he was playing off. First hole I outdrove him but 70 yards. He punched one up short of the green, I hit just missed the green with a wedge. He got up and down for par, I nearly did. Exact same thing happened on the second hole. And on the third. Then I asked him what he was playing off, turned off he was a 6 handicapper. It was incredible with his distance limitation that he was such a good golfer.

But it just goes to show that you don't need distance to get to a low handicap. As long as you never mi**** shots, always hit it where you aim it and get up and down as often as a scratch golfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I’m planning to upgrade the driver this year rom G30 to the new model and so far all reports are positive on its performance and I think it’s a decent upgrade for me.

I was looking at the irons, but some reviews comment on the gapping distance is to large. It’s never something I would have thought about before but I’ll need to test it myself. I always like 10 meters between my irons with the wedge starting at 105.

Heard from a good teaching pro the new G425 driver is the business, very forgiving. Reviews have been excellent so far. Think it will be this years best selling driver.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/drivers/ping/g425/g425/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So got the prices for the courses that have open membership near (near!! :pac:) my house. Either way, its the guts of an hour each way, which is not ideal, but it is what it is, and i'd happily(ish) drive even further for golf.

Beaufort - €625 - 59 minutes drive
    Kenmare - €500 - 1hr 2mins drive
    Ring of Kerry - €400 - 56 mins drive

Are any of the three noticeably better/worse then the others?

Will join Dooks next year, as it's only 48 mins away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Kiith wrote: »
    So got the prices for the courses that have open membership near (near!! :pac:) my house. Either way, its the guts of an hour each way, which is not ideal, but it is what it is, and i'd happily(ish) drive even further for golf.

They are in the correct order if you equate price to quality in my opinion. Beaufort is a nice playable course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Heard from a good teaching pro the new G425 driver is the business, very forgiving. Reviews have been excellent so far. Think it will be this years best selling driver.

Think I might wait for the G426;) Longer and straighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Think of it as an hour listening to music/podcasts without missus in your head :D:D

I am G30 and have loved it. Have talked myself out of an upgrade a good few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭golfguy1

kenmare would be my choice. nice club with an active membership. competitive teams (gui interclubs) if u are interested in that side. Beaufort is a nice course aswell.
    ring of kerry is beautiful, probably has the best putting surfaces in kerry during the summer but a very tough walk( hilly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Is Maine Valley(formerly Killorglin) not open for membership? I'd rate the other 3 courses ahead of it but I assume its closer to you.

If I had to play one of them once, I'd go for the challenge of Ring of Kerry but if its to join and play every week, then that's a different story.

Ring of Kerry is cheaper than Ballyheigues 9 hole. I don't play comps, just 9 casual holes once or twice a week in the drier months. It would nearly work out cheaper just to pay green fees for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'd be leaning towards Beaufort myself. Have always enjoyed playing there. Grear short game practice facilities too.

Cheers all, i'd like to try each of the courses, but if it's members only like last time, i may not have that option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cheers all, i'd like to try each of the courses, but if it's members only like last time, i may not have that option.

Agreed, you should try each course, I'd be highly surprised if they don't give you a free round and not put you out with some decent members.
    Shame such a travel distance though

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Shame such a travel distance though

Yeah, tell me about it. I won't mind it, as i love driving around here, but i will pretty quickly miss the 6 minute journey from front door to 1st tee that i had in Tullamore.

Won't stop me getting out to play in the evenings though. Will just have to start work early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,213 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can anyone give me a bit of a review on Kilkea Castle Golf Resort in Co. Kildare please? What’s the course like? Is it a good place to stay, to eat etc?

After the lockdown a group of us are planning to go somewhere for a few days and this Resort has been suggested by another party. Nobody in our group knows anything about it. Thanks.

Regarding the course, Boards society played it last year, I thought it was a lovely course, speed of greens suited me down to the ground, lush trees and super vista finishing hole up to the castle.

Regarding the course, Boards society played it last year, I thought it was a lovely course, speed of greens suited me down to the ground, lush trees and super vista finishing hole up to the castle.

It wouldnt be in my top 20 courses. It is a fine course, your typical midlands course....I dont really like the turf on midlands courses. Not sure how suited it would be for a lads trip as a hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

Beaufort is a lovely course.
    Kenmare is a lovely track too but I'm not gone on some of those holes where you have to cross the road.
    Never played ROK but it's supposeded to be very hilly.
    My only concern about these is that I'm not sure how they hold up in winter. Beaufort would be my pick but it does get quite soft.

Dooks is a fine course. I think membership there is very reasonable too, they seem to be getting more and more traffic each year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I can vouch for Beaufort as I think I said somewhere before that I played it day before Captains in Dooks with a few other boardies and thoroughly enjoyed it, good test and a very welcoming clubhouse

@Kiith, why not join Dooks this year, much close and superior course (but not during downpour)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Looking for some opinions on membership options. I'm based in finglas.

Currently play a bit at Clontarf thru a family member who is a member, I was a member there as a juvenile. The 4.5k joining fee is what's making me hesitant on joining.

Other options that are closest would be Silloge which wouldn't be high on my list as I've played it a good bit but not mad on the course but very competitively priced.

Forest little which I've played once around 15 years ago but know nothing about the membership/course other than that.

St Margaret's, swords open, roganstown and elm green all others within 20 mins or so that'd fall under potential options.

Anyone able to offer thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

VW 1 wrote: »

Currently play a bit at Clontarf thru a family member who is a member, I was a member there as a juvenile. The 4.5k joining fee is what's making me hesitant on joining.

Other options that are closest would be Silloge which wouldn't be high on my list as I've played it a good bit but not mad on the course but very competitively priced.

Forest little which I've played once around 15 years ago but know nothing about the membership/course other than that.

St Margaret's, swords open, roganstown and elm green all others within 20 mins or so that'd fall under potential options.

Have you tried Hollywood lakes, I'm not a member but good course/club. I've a few contacts there if you were interested

Actually yeah now you mention it, a friend's dad used to be a member there. Played it once in my teens, they were just having the new clubhouse built at the time. I'll have a busy summer trying out these places again before making decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Living in Finglas I'd say Elmgreen is your best option, Sillogue is brutal, €4.5k hello money to Clontarf is ridiculous, not even a fun golf course to play, Margaret's is nice but I hear there is too many members and hard to get on the sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Stacksey wrote: »
    Living in Finglas I'd say Elmgreen is your best option, Sillogue is brutal, €4.5k hello money to Clontarf is ridiculous, not even a fun golf course to play, Margaret's is nice but I hear there is too many members and hard to get on the sheet

member in elmgreen myself. joined as it is closest to me.

they now have a one in one out member policy ( allegedly) due to increases since covid.

i assume most clubs mentioned have the same covid time sheet pressures.

@Kiith, why not join Dooks this year, much close and superior course (but not during downpour)

I would if i could, but when i emailed they said they only accept members once a year, and that would be October/November for 2022. I emailed them again, to ask if there was any way of getting in for this year, but no reply so far.

Might try them on twitter, as they were pretty slow at replying the last few times.

Stacksey wrote: »

I find Elmgreen a bit too hilly.
    When joining a course it’s always a good idea to think if you can play it when you’re in your 60’s, 70’s and maybe 80’s without having to hire a buggy.

the walk up the 3rd fairway and the 16th apart its fairly flat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I find Elmgreen a bit too hilly.
    When joining a course it’s always a good idea to think if you can play it when you’re in your 60’s, 70’s and maybe 80’s without having to hire a buggy.

It's not a wife he's looking for!

Yeah I'm 32 and quite fit so hopefully no issues with hills for a while.im drawn with clontarf as its a club I know well, been playing it since I was 12 and know quite a few members and like the course. Just a lot of upfront payment when there's cheaper options locally on courses just as nice. I'll get out to play elm green and forest little again when thi GS open up and take it from there. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Yeah I'm 32 and quite fit so hopefully no issues with hills for a while.im drawn with clontarf as its a club I know well, been playing it since I was 12 and know quite a few members and like the course. Just a lot of upfront payment when there's cheaper options locally on courses just as nice. I'll get out to play elm green and forest little again when thi GS open up and take it from there. Thanks for the info!

Margaret’s as entrance fee of 2k and Forrest Little 1k.

Most clubs are full but when renewals get finalize there might be a few spots but I reckon they will be gone quickly on the decent tracks. Tee times will be a premium this year because lack of social and sport events and nobody going on hols.

I know we have around 40 on the waiting list at Corrstown but no entrance fee yet.

You would qualify for the other category in most clubs but I believe they are all full for 2021.

I don’t think you will get the choice you think you will get, ie most clubs aren’t taking in new members unless someone leaves and very few leaving.

member in elmgreen myself. joined as it is closest to me.

they now have a one in one out member policy ( allegedly) due to increases since covid.

i assume most clubs mentioned have the same covid time sheet pressures.

Lets just say there are 250 free spot available now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Holy moly. That's a lot of non payers of subs for 2021!!!

bailey99 wrote: »
    Holy moly. That's a lot of non payers of subs for 2021!!!

not surprised.

they've done and said nothing about the closures from 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

not surprised.

they've done and said nothing about the closures from 2021.

What's the total membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Should be walking down 3rd now.....😡

Should be walking down 3rd now.....��

I’d have been on the putting green at that time just honing my undoubtedly skills 😂😂

bailey99 wrote: »
    What's the total membership?

Its still about 650

I am sure more than half of those will pay once we reopen or they will need wait 6 months to rejoin

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Its still about 650

I am sure more than half of those will pay once we reopen or they will need wait 6 months to rejoin

so non payers can start paying on the opening date?

that cant be correct.

they are either paying members or they are not.

i assume half of them dont have a renewal date of april 5th.

so non payers can start paying on the opening date?

that cant be correct.

they are either paying members or they are not.

i assume half of them dont have a renewal date of april 5th.

No they will need to pay subs missing or what 6 months from their renewal date

So tee times may be easier to come by initially

Would you buy a putter without trying it first?

I'm in need of an upgrade, and was going to buy one and get some practice on the mat before we are back, but not sure about buying a club i haven't tried.

I'm in need of an upgrade, and was going to buy one and get some practice on the mat before we are back, but not sure about buying a club i haven't tried.

It depends, I bought a 2nd hand Scotty Cameron Laguna around Christmas but I've always used a blade putter so was reasonably confident it would suit me fine. I don't think I'd buy something like a Spider or the Phantom Scotty without at least having a few putts in a shop with one. I think if you're buying the same style of putter its less of an issue, blade to blade, mallet to mallet etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Personally I probably wouldn't. Weight, feel and how it looks behind the ball are very important when it comes to putters. It is the club you use most every round so I'd be slow to invest without having a few putts with it beforehand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement