Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday with Katie Hannon

Comments

Mod - always really appreciative to see posters sort things out nicely - Catmaniac :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Gets to the archbishop's criticism of the Waterford Whispers sketch from New year's Eve at 13.59. Reads an RTE statement. "Have I any time for comments?" 1 comment, 20 seconds, shuts the program down. Really poor production. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

amlinopta wrote: »
    Gets to the archbishop's criticism of the Waterford Whispers sketch from New year's Eve at 13.59. Reads an RTE statement. "Have I any time for comments?" 1 comment, 20 seconds, shuts the program down. Really poor production. Again.

Not at all, was an excellent program albeit a little sombre, Philip Nolan interview excellent, I don't think the nation is consumed with the fact an Archbishop being distressed over a Waterford whispers skit albeit it was offensive.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not at all, was an excellent program albeit a little sombre, Philip Nolan interview excellent, I don't think the nation is consumed with the fact an Archbishop being distressed over a Waterford whispers skit albeit it was offensive.
    I’m sure a skit mocking Muslims would have received a lot more coverage though. Enjoy the show generally and like Katie, reference to poor production was in relation to cramming something in right at the end and not covering it properly, as opposed to the show overall.

amlinopta wrote: »
    I’m sure a skit mocking Muslims would have received a lot more coverage though. Enjoy the show generally and like Katie, reference to poor production was in relation to cramming something in right at the end and not covering it properly, as opposed to the show overall.

Apologies, I misunderstood, yes was pointless the very last segment but in fairness alot covered today and I think there would have been more critism had she not mentioned the furore over the skit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

All the line up is there for an extremely negative( not unusual) show today.

O’Reilly will take over, OhEadha there for the vested interest.

Staaaaand by....for ‘don’t interrupt me”

Pretty grim analysis from colm Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

All the line up is there for an extremely negative( not unusual) show today.

O’Reilly will take over, OhEadha there for the vested interest.

Staaaaand by....for ‘don’t interrupt me”

She’s being far too aggressive in the interview live at the moment

tomwaits48 wrote: »

Hmmm, not sure, colm Henry is normally quite composed, Katie has asked reasonable questions but in the process seems to have caught Colm out, I've never heard him be tetchy before.

• Advertisement

As predicted..... anyone would think the Govt caused this epidemic.

Wait till O’Reilly gets going..........listen for her piling on. Hannon I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Hmmm, not sure, colm Henry is normally quite composed, Katie has asked reasonable questions but in the process seems to have caught Colm out, I've never heard him be tetchy before.

Can you imagine the strain he must be under right now? I dunno, I’ve started to get annoyed with some media commentators who have a hint of being on a high horse about the whole COVID crisis. Maybe it’s just me. Usually I think Katie is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They didn't cause it. But they are overseeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Roisin shortall as usual seem to be throwing stones at a vaccine issue which for all the government faults isn’t their fault. If she has a better way then when she and her party had the opportunity to go into government last year they should have taken it. I think the current government have made some poor communication mistakes but I can’t believe they opposition parties are trying to score points during a ****ing pandemic. It’s utterly tasteless.

There we go, there’s Hannon letting O’Reilly carry on uncontested but as soon as Chambers says anything she’s in like a light.

The auld Vincent Browne tactic in full flow.

“Would that be disappointing for your members”.

No.... it would be great, fantastic. !!!!! Feeding the interviewee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

These presenters can't win.

Soft soap, hard ball, or Sarah McInerney does Norma Foley just right.

I'll tell you what else. There are at least 10 too many people we are hearing from on the HSE side. Colm Henry is one of a dozen or more; clinical, critical, virology, immunology, operations, lab testing, primary care, Holohan, Glynn, Reid etc etc. Then we have Donnelly and whomever else from Govt.

I mean these people are all busier than at any point in their working lives, can we not get a couple of people as press spokespersons for the HSE, NPHET, DoH and let all these heads of function get on with their massive workload.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine the strain he must be under right now? I dunno, I’ve started to get annoyed with some media commentators who have a hint of being on a high horse about the whole COVID crisis. Maybe it’s just me. Usually I think Katie is very good.

O, I agree, I've no doubt the pressure he is under, just uncharacteristically tetchy today

Has that chambers fella done his leaving cert, he doesn't even seem capable of shaving :)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    These presenters can't win.

Soft soap, hard ball, or Sarah McInerney does Norma Foley just right.

I'll tell you what else. There are at least 10 too many people we are hearing from on the HSE side. Colm Henry is one of a dozen or more; clinical, critical, virology, immunology, operations, lab testing, primary care, Holohan, Glynn, Reid etc etc. Then we have Donnelly and whomever else from Govt.

I mean these people are all busier than at any point in their working lives, can we not get a couple of people as press spokespersons for the HSE, NPHET, DoH and let all these heads of function get on with their massive workload.

Do you mean the spokespeople for the HSE, Lar, not the presenters for the media outlets?

Danny McCoy talks out of his bottom, cares little about working people and only about his organisations members. This absurd Midlands lockdown being used as a template is just stupid. I live in the Midlands, there was no lockdown, there was nothing different, they closed pubs and most got around that by serving tesco pizzas out of their freezers. Meat plants continued as you were, it was a total farce.

Interrupting Jack Chambers incessantly........ Hannon can’t wait to get a crack at him.

Aaah here’s O’Reilly in just let butt in by Hannon.

And as predicted all piling in on Chambers.... poor poor moderation .. just breaking down like as it always.

How does this lady get a moderation job.

Incredible.

Edit ...just lost control.... take a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

This is the new post Christmas version of Danny McCoy. Has seemingly come to certain "realisations"...without referring to himself directly of course. He just sounds irrelevant now and has very little to contribute, as he knows he really can't use his soapbox to pick apart public health efforts anymore.

It always goes t1ts up when O'Reilly is on..blah, blah, blah

Interrupting Jack Chambers incessantly........ Hannon can’t wait to get a crack at him.

Aaah here’s O’Reilly in just let butt in by Hannon.

And as predicted all piling in on Chambers.... poor poor moderation .. just breaking down like as it always.

How does this lady get a moderation job.

Incredible.

Edit ...just lost control.... take a break.

I've heard less kackling in a chicken pen when a fox arrives, had to turn down the volume

Whole thing will end in chaos and another break at 1358.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Louise O'Reilly getting offended about being interrupted when she refused to give anyone else a chance to speak more than 3 words. What a wagon! Katie lost all control over today's show. O'Reilly should be banned from RTE until she learns to respect other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jack Chambers on the ropes - Shortall and Katie delivering knock out blows but no worries Louise O Reilly will interrupt and save Chambers. . ...take O Reilly out of the programme and it would be faulty decent.

Jack Chambers not a good performer but I have some sympathy with him for fighting the losing battle on travel.

That said. Jack Chambers is a bumbling stuttering wreck. How is he even a TD never mind a minister. Totally out of his depth and was bullied and intimidated by the rest of the panel.

touts wrote: »
    Louise O'Reilly getting offended about being interrupted when she refused to give anyone else a chance to speak more than 3 words. What a wagon! Katie lost all control over today's show. O'Reilly should be banned from RTE until she learns to respect other people.

It's bad enough listening to her, but when you watch her on the webcam too, you get the full force of the arrogance/ignorance.

Thank god that's over! If you reversed the genders on the Louise O'Reilly and Jack Chambers debacle O'Reilly would be forced out of office as a bully. It was a really shameful performance by her today.

touts wrote: »
    Thank god that's over! If you reversed the genders on the Louise O'Reilly and Jack Chambers debacle O'Reilly would be forced out of office as a bully. It was a really shameful performance by her today.

That's pretty typical for her....at least on this show. No worse than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Yeah listened alright and thought the same. Disappointed that Katie didnt do more to try and control things and allow a listenable to discussion.

As an earlier poster said some presenters seem to be on a mission to run down ANYTHING that health officials are trying to do and how they are dealing with the most recent challenges they are dealing with many of them like late delivery of vaccines outside their control.

Thought Roisin Shorrall showed her skill as a long time politician by torally avoiding the question of how she envisaged a forced quarantine working in Ireland. Returning residents been kept in Citywest for 10 days, who pats etc No easy answer despite the easy slogan. Katie let her acoud the question strange considering she was quiet tough on Colm Henry and Jack Chambers.

Really interesting exchange between Osiann Smyth and Rousin on Tonight with Matt Cooper during the week. I was sympathetic to her argument but Smyth had some good points anout it being the logical implication to house confirmed cases in the same way. At one srage he said that her arguments could be perceived as having racist overtones. Was a stranfe exchange between the "progressive alliabce" of the Greens and Soc Dems.

Cole wrote: »
    That's pretty typical for her....at least on this show. No worse than usual.

I suppose the way things are in Sinn Fein these days you have to be a bully to get to the top but Louise O'Reilly is right up there when it comes to the more unlikeable public figures.

Is it me or does Katie Hannon seem to be presenting these programmes with a producer or someone constantly talking into her earpiece.

Has a very disjointed way of speaking and instead of letting a controlled debate go on just throws her hands up in the air and let’s chaos prevail.

Reminds me of a football game where the referee doesn’t bother trying to control the game and just let’s complete free for all carry on while running around like a headless chicken.

All lined up against poor Pether on RTE .

Predicting a shambles O’Reilly, O’Riordáin, won’t let the mic go to anyone else.

The ASTI are only back in the talks because they got B***** slapped by public sentiment.

The ASTI are only back in the talks because they got B***** slapped by public sentiment.

With you on that Dee, took a step too far on this occasion.

Hillarious now the TUI contradicting the notion of any progress, you couldn't make this up, more intelligence from a class filled with junior infant's

With you on that Dee, took a step too far on this occasion.

Here's your favourite Brendan, Louise :)

Here’s Peter, let’s see will he get such a free run.

First interruption after 33 secs.

• Advertisement

I think Louise being very very careful?

Unions involved Dee, ex Union employee.

Hannon doesn’t usually lose control till around 1340 when she lets them off the leash.

That will come when the discussion gets to the Paddies Day issue if they go to that.

I'm watching this on news now, the look of utter contempt on Louise"s face, very telling

Watch Hannon jacking it up now.

It might sound harsh but if this is going to work, there can be no exceptions. Thousands of citizens have not even been able to attend a local funeral let alone fly into another country to attend one.

Lou just plugged lastminute.com, the irony :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dempo1 wrote:
    I'm watching this on news now, the look of utter contempt on Louise"s face, very telling

RTE seems to like her. Camera on her even when others in the studio are speaking

First Up wrote: »
    RTE seems to like her. Camera on her even when others in the studio are speaking

Yes, your right, just noticed that now :)

Peter won't like his leader being critised

Louise O'Reilly doing her regular (lead) co-presenter role on the show with Katie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Cole wrote: »
    Louise O'Reilly doing her regular (lead) co-presenter role on the show with Katie.

I am just waiting for the show to be renamed at this point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement