Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday with Katie Hannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

touts wrote:
    Anyone know anyone who is on this citizens assembly? I know they do some great work but I would have assumed that was a very well paying job that we elect TDs to do. How much do you get for a citizens assembly gig. I'd suspect it's not bad if you know someone who can get you on it for a few years. I'd say Catherine Day is pulling in 6 figures easy.

Full list on their site of members, I'd be interested myself

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Verona Murphy is woeful even given the standards of Irish politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Don't particularly like Verona Murphy's political beliefs especially on migrants etc. But I have to say this was a much more balanced and informative show. From Catherine Day explaining about the Citizens assembly (which I didn't know a lot about per my previous post) to the two women debating the change to the constitution to the reasonable discussion. We just had Carthy shouting and roaring every now and then but he was quickly restrained by Katie. Best show in a long time. I hope they don't go back to the two Trots format next week.

touts wrote: »
    Don't particularly like Verona Murphy's political beliefs especially on migrants etc. But I have to say this was a much more balanced and informative show. From Catherine Day explaining about the Citizens assembly (which I didn't know a lot about per my previous post) to the two women debating the change to the constitution to the reasonable discussion. We just had Carry shouting and roaring every now and then but he was quickly restrained by Katie. Best show in a long time. I hope they don't go back to the two Trots format next week.

https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Full list on their site of members, I'd be interested myself

Strange move. I'd have hoped the Citizens' Assembly would operate like an Irish jury: not sequestered from daily life, but afforded complete anonymity during their deliberations. In an era of social media, the majority of them are probably pretty easily contactable over social media.

Maybe some provision has been made in law to prohibit anyone external to the proceedings from attempting to sway the Assembly's deliberations, but I haven't come across it. I'm not even clear if it's a crime to try and bribe a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Some posters here should inform themselves what the Citizens Assembly actually is (and especially what it isn't).

Strange move. I'd have hoped the Citizens' Assembly would operate like an Irish jury: not sequestered from daily life, but afforded complete anonymity during their deliberations. In an era of social media, the majority of them are probably pretty easily contactable over social media.

Maybe some provision has been made in law to prohibit anyone external to the proceedings from attempting to sway the Assembly's deliberations, but I haven't come across it. I'm not even clear if it's a crime to try and bribe a member.

yea i find it very strange that the full list has been made publicly available, google was the first place i went to, when i found a local representative, im not sure id like my details made publicly available, if i was a member, but i would like to be involved myself

First Up wrote: »
    Some posters here should inform themselves what the Citizens Assembly actually is (and especially what it isn't).

more info would be great?

Wanderer78 wrote:
    more info would be great?

What information are you missing?

What information are you missing?

everything to be honest, id be interested in getting involved myself, but it seems like you are chosen?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote:
    everything to be honest, id be interested in getting involved myself, but it seems like you are chosen?

I assume you have read the website?

briefly, im dyslexic, so i find it hard to dissect written text, conversation text doesnt seem as bad though. the whole selection process seems odd to me, it doesnt sound very transparent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ugh.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ugh.

Your point being....?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Your point being....?

You’re a smart cookie, figure it out.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

You’re a smart cookie, figure it out.

You can't read?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Philip Nolan being questioned rightly as to why 500 cases 2 weeks ago was of serious concern and yet its all perfectly fine now

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

RTE have no end of clinically depressed robot scientists on speed dial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Ivana Bacik back on the radio now that there is an election coming up. She just wont get the message that the electorate send her every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ivana Bacik back on the radio now that there is an election coming up. She just wont get the message that the electorate send her every time.

Hopefully the same message is sent again.

• Advertisement

"One fowl swoop"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Ivana Bacik - kind of ironic that a professor of law doesn't get the idea that you can't keep endlessly appealing a decision (by the electorate) by going to different courts (constituencies) to get the right one.

Yes and her first outing not going well, silly attempt to misrepresent what Doherty said.

Adrian Cummins really is deserving of a flogging a dead horse award. He needs to cop on, I don't believe for a second any member considering a test case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Cole wrote: »
    Ivana Bacik - kind of ironic that a professor of law doesn't get the idea that you can't keep endlessly appealing a decision (by the electorate) by going to different courts (constituencies) to get the right one.
    serially unelectable

There's no confusion Katie, Pascal has already spoken on this nonsensical stay and spend farce

serially unelectable

Serially irratating :)

I'll take an all4one voucher if any going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Who is that govt TD this morning? He is flapping

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Who is that govt TD this morning? He is flapping

Flapper Burke FG

Advertisement