Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing wall tile adhesive

Options
  • 06-03-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Putting on new wall tiles on a bathroom. Old tiles themselves coming of easy enough but the old adhesive underneath is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare. Tried a paint scraper, albeit with a sharp edge, a steamer and a heat gun. Struggling with all of them. Anyone got any idea's on how to go please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Putting on new wall tiles on a bathroom. Old tiles themselves coming of easy enough but the old adhesive underneath is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare. Tried a paint scraper, albeit with a sharp edge, a steamer and a heat gun. Struggling with all of them. Anyone got any idea's on how to go please?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-emt300-qc-300w-electric-multi-tool-220-240v/622FX?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjvfkvpic7wIVM4BQBh2Wzw-5EAQYASABEgKKUPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lidl/Aldi do them occasionally much cheaper
    A small kango with a chasing bit works too

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How thick is it, are you sure you need to take it off?
    Also what type of wall? You could easily make a bags of plasterboard...
    If you really need to remove it, just reboard the wall in ply or OSB if it's a wet area or plasterboard if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Chisel or kango

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

GreeBo wrote: »
    How thick is it, are you sure you need to take it off?
    Also what type of wall? You could easily make a bags of plasterboard...
    If you really need to remove it, just reboard the wall in ply or OSB if it's a wet area or plasterboard if not.
    Some patches came off with the tiles themselves, more part came off and for the most part it all stayed on the wall. Anything up to circa 4-5mm I would say.
    They are concrete plastered walls we are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ok then yeah a spade bit on a hammer or kango is where it's at.
    Again assuming you can't just tile over them? Are there reveals etc that would be a problem if you tile over? Much easier job!

• Advertisement

An SDS drill with kango feature is ideal for that sort of job.
    I have this Hitachi that I use for light "kango" work.

https://toolfix.ie/product/hitachi-dh26px-sds-rotary-hammer-drill/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If your not worried about dust (and there will be horrendous amounts) then a cup grinding disk on a mini grinder is great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rokamat Gex if you can hire one
    https://youtu.be/8hZSWaCJZRc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks to all for your replies. I meant to post an update sooner. I have since knocked off a fair amount using a hammer drill and chisel bit. Not ideal as in some parts its knocking off some plaster underneath - hard to stop it gouging in - nothing major though and can patch it up after. I've actually the bulk of it done bar removing the toilet, bath and wash-hand basin.

I'll likely plough on as I am now, save the expense of buying a power tool I might not ever use much after. That said I wouldn't like the idea of starting that job out again. I do like the look of that multi tool that meercat posted though. Looks a nice piece of useful kit to be fair.

Advertisement