Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think it's anyone's game. There's no issue with Ulster if Leinster win. Their weakened line up still contains about a dozen internationals. They could well grind out a win based on defence and territory. I'd make Ulster marginal favourites as they've more game breakers in Lowry, Cooney, Stockdale, Timoney and Coetzee.

I haven't really followed the media in the build up (the lack of basic knowledge at this point is appalling) but the only guy I did hear making the claim about Ulster having to win this given the line ups was Tommy Bowe, last night on Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

the current ulster players surely back themselves to beat this leinster side at home?

naturally ex-players will feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

If Ulster can’t back themselves and beat this Leinster, when will they ever! They have the motivation and least disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Jesus lads. Of course they do.

As far as I'm aware, none of the posters on this form is a professional Ulster rugby player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

launish116 wrote: »
    If Ulster can’t back themselves and beat this Leinster, when will they ever! They have the motivation and least disruption.

Some things you just can't legislate for

• Advertisement

On the bright side we might see some youth next few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

The forward pack just isn't really good enough, with the season on the line they got taken apart tonight by a team missing Cian Healy, Tadgh Furlong, Andrew Porter, James Ryan, Ronan Kelleher, Will Connors, Caelan Doris, Max Deegan and probably someone else. The scrum was minced and Leinster were confident defending their own line while we were only ever three phases from conceding. As good as some of our outside backs are, we won't improve as a team until the pack is upgraded or at the very least our scrum isn't a net negative. I'll list some positives as well, but are pack is a serious problem right now if we want to properly compete. No easy fix for it.

Hard to look for positives but I'll try my best. The backs looked dangerous, although Leinster were obviously missing a host of players there too. Moore ran good lines when he came on, he'll push Hume next year I reckon, both need to tidy up their defence though. Izzy looked serviceable at this level. We hadn't really got a proper look at him in his previous cameos but he played well. Looks a little nervous defeding around the fringe of the ruck but I like the potential there. Treadwell was athletic but raw when he arrived as well.

Baloucoune should play for Ireland soon - he's not great in the air but neither is Stockdale, Larmour or Lowe, his touchline defence is excellent and his confidence in attack is growing and growing. Great to see him come back and still have that acceleration, it can't be understated how difficult that can be after a bad hamstring injury, takes a lot of dedication and patience. I think the Ireland 14 jersey is up for grabs, Earls is slowing down and Larmour, while obviously a good player, hasn't impressed all that much at the next level and Baloucoune brings different qualities.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Positives:

Balacoune is the best winger in Ireland.
    Before Murphy took his notion we were beating them.

Not much else to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you mean when Warwick was given a red, it was 12-17 to Leinster.

If you mean when JOB was given the yellow, by the time he was back on, the score had gone from 12-3 to 12-10.

The forward pack just isn't really good enough, with the season on the line they got taken apart tonight by a team missing Cian Healy, Tadgh Furlong, Andrew Porter, James Ryan, Ronan Kelleher, Will Connors, Caelan Doris, Max Deegan and probably someone else. The scrum was minced and Leinster were confident defending their own line while we were only ever three phases from conceding. As good as some of our outside backs are, we won't improve as a team until the pack is upgraded or at the very least our scrum isn't a net negative. I'll list some positives as well, but are pack is a serious problem right now if we want to properly compete. No easy fix for it.

This saga is going to continue on! Sorry for the doom & gloom. Same questions will be asked next year! Only difference being we’ll be without Coetzee.

We’re lacking a Loosehead, blindside & no8.

Until we shake this full strength pack needed week in week out, we’ll continue to stall. Yes there has been some progress!

I’m at the stage of saying we look great yes,cause the rest of the league is dross. Almost criminal with our back line.

• Advertisement

This saga is going to continue on! Sorry for the doom & gloom. Same questions will be asked next year! Only difference being we’ll be without Coetzee.

Until we shake this full strength pack needed week in week out, we’ll continue to stall. Yes there has been some progress!

I’m at the stage of saying we look great yes,cause the rest of the league is dross. Almost criminal with our back line.

It's not going to change.

So long as our owners have 1 decent team they won't give a flying fcuk how well we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm undecided if Nakarawa is a good signing for ye or not. If he gets back to even some semblance of the form that he had in 2018 he'll be a good investment. But he hasn't been near his best in a few years and even went AWOL on Racing.

Ye need another carrier on Henderson's/Coetzee's level. Unfortunately they're rare enough players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

If you mean when Warwick was given a red, it was 12-17 to Leinster.

If you mean when JOB was given the yellow, by the time he was back on, the score had gone from 12-3 to 12-10.

I thought toner should have been a red card,

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm undecided if Nakarawa is a good signing for ye or not. If he gets back to even some semblance of the form that he had in 2018 he'll be a good investment. But he hasn't been near his best in a few years and even went AWOL on Racing.

Ye need another carrier on Henderson's/Coetzee's level. Unfortunately they're rare enough players.

I like the signing on a one-year deal. He has an incentive to up his game, and it gives us time to source a replacement. Mind you we knew Coetzee was probably leaving for ages so we had the time to nail down a long-term replacement, so I'm guessing the 'new' no.8 will be McCann lol.

awec wrote: »
    It's not going to change.

So long as our owners have 1 decent team they won't give a flying fcuk how well we do.

Definitely a case of 1 step forward 2 steps back!

I said this last season as well, forget the silverware get the squad right and it will come!

Yep the forwards have made small steps but overall it's much of the same. They're obviously better drilled - the speed they play at sometimes and the strength of the lineout are testaments to that, but there's only so much you can do. Scrum needs to improve and the backrow needs an overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I like the signing on a one-year deal. He has an incentive to up his game, and it gives us time to source a replacement. Mind you we knew Coetzee was probably leaving for ages so we had the time to nail down a long-term replacement, so I'm guessing the 'new' no.8 will be McCann lol.

I thought it was a two year deal. It's worth a punt for a season and if he doesn't work out it's not a huge problem.

You could do a lot worse than getting Jack Conan up to Belfast. He's second choice number 8 now that Doris is in situ. But I think he's pretty happy at Leinster.

I thought it was a two year deal. It's worth a punt for a season and if he doesn't work out it's not a huge problem.

You could do a lot worse than getting Jack Conan up to Belfast. He's second choice number 8 now that Doris is in situ. But I think he's pretty happy at Leinster.

Conan has turned down a move several times?

Once Coetzee leaves we’ll have no 110kg+ backrowers.

I worry Nawakara just isn’t going to cut it, especially as a back row. I do though expect Izzy to learn a lot from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

As much as I am glad for the Leinster lads we have...I really don't want any more moving up. It give us no incentive to develop our own talent. And if we can't develop our own talent, we might as well pack it in...

I'm sure we've got Conan convinced lol he's still around the Ireland squad so I heavily doubt he's bothered about a move. Being the number 2 at leinster gives you plenty of playing time, it's a question of whether he backs himself over Deegan after he comes back from a long-term injury.

A quick google says Nakarawa is on a one-year deal, but the source could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Conan is going nowhere.

bayern wrote: »
    Conan is going nowhere.

Can you blame him!

Right I've moaned enough on the match thread about refereeing decisions.

There are two dangers here...

Firstly Ulster get carried away thinking we only lost because of the officiating. We lost because we weren't as good as Leinster. And that was a Leinster team missing a lot of players. It's not like Leinster had 15 players on the pitch the whole time either.

Secondly because of crapness of everyone else bar Leinster and Munster in the league, we think we are better than we are.

Our pack isn't good enough when it comes to competing with Leinster and Munster as well actually. I'll keep saying it, we can't beat Leinster if our pack has 3 or 4 guys who had to leave Leinster because they weren't able to get into their team.

We have to produce our own and make one or two clever overseas signings.

Get McCann and Reid into the side as soon as possible. We can rightfully moan about a lack of consistency last night from the officials, but Warwick let the team down, he isnalright in the scrum, but whatbdoes he offer that Reid doesn't at this stage? Get Reid into the team for the last two dead rubbers. Also we've all seen McCann play, he's a class act, get him in now. The next two matches are irrelevant, hold Coetzee back for the Challenge Cup and Rainbow Cup and also give his injury time to heal.

Also is it time we started looking at the south Sea islands and trying to bring in a couple of young talented Fijian, Tongan or Samoan huge ball carrying second rows/back rows? They'll be relatively cheap compared to a Kiwi or Saffer and they will play like their lives depend on it. The French clubs do this all the time and it really works for them. I know we have just signed Nakarawa, maybe we can use him as a way of getting into the market. It seems an area we never look to for potential signings. Timoci Nagusa and the prop right from the start of the noughties, who may or may not have been older than we thought when we signed him(!), being the exceptions.

For me, it doesn't matter if they're from Dublin or Durban, they're players we are bringing in. We shouldn't put any premium on Irish players, just sign the best players we can afford.

If we end up with a team with 4 or 5 islanders in it, who cares? It's no different to the current situation where we've a team with numerous Leinster rejects in it.

We are never going to be able to produce an entirely home grown team, we're always going to have to sign numerous players.

For me, it doesn't matter if they're from Dublin or Durban, they're players we are bringing in. We shouldn't put any premium on Irish players, just sign the best players we can afford.

If we end up with a team with 4 or 5 islanders in it, who cares? It's no different to the current situation where we've a team with numerous Leinster rejects in it.

We are never going to be able to produce an entirely home grown team, we're always going to have to sign numerous players.

At least with the Islanders and Saffers there is a chance they will be able to compete with Leinster.

With the guys who left Leinster because of lack of game time its going to be impossible. Sure take a couple, but if half your pack is made up of those guys then you just won't beat Leinster. We've tried four times since September and have lost every single time, and none of the matches have been close.

bilston wrote: »
    At least with the Islanders and Saffers there is a chance they will be able to compete with Leinster.

With the guys who left Leinster because of lack of game time its going to be impossible. Sure take a couple, but if half your pack is made up of those guys then you just won't beat Leinster. We've tried four times since September and have lost every single time, and none of the matches have been close.

Unfortunately I think for our owners we are exactly where they want us to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Glasgow fans on their own forum were slaughtering Nakarawa for a recent performance against his future employers. Overweight, disinterested, sad to see. Those kind of remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Problem for Ulster is, the likes of Jordi Murphy are class players, Cooney also. I don't see a huge difference in ability or physical attributes. I think Leinster are better coached and have a belief in themselves. I think Leinster handle pressure better than most and I think that's taught that from day one.
    If Jack McGrath was playing like he used to, well the conversation could be different. He's a shadow of his former self. Ulster gave a good squad and are deeper than they have been recently.
    Players like Greg Jones and Timoney are good players who are good depth. The other thing with Ulster that drives me nuts, is they seem to find ways to muck things up. They run in spectacular tries one minute and are cut through like butter the next.
    I think they are improving and with the coming young lads they look to be in a good place.McAnn, Izzy and Stewart look like future studs.
    Speaking of Leinster, I don't think they'll beat Munster. Just a feeling. I think they're off the boil somewhat. They haven't been as impressive this year as in previous years. That's even when they are fully loaded. It's like they've plateaus and are in a little bit of a dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Unless the Islanders have Irish grannies they can't all play.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jacothelad wrote: »
    Unless the Islanders have Irish grannies they can't all play.

Islanders are kolpak as far as I know

Advertisement