Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Piehead wrote: »
    Poor Ger will be crying into his cornflakes now Wales won the Triple Crown
    I'm sure the narrative will be the jammiest triple crown in history, in fairness they've had a ridiculous amount of lucky breaks in the 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

To each their own but I don't rate either. Shouting as loud as possible is not my idea of a good commentator.

Neither of them do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

some people just love complaining and ridiculing unfortunately, wannabe Ewen McKenna's although anyone wanting to be that muppet needs their head examined.

This post should definitely be under the definition of shoehorning in the dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think they are blowing the Gordon Elliot thing way out of proportion. I see that BetFair have ended it's association with Gordon Elliott with immediate effect. BetFair, those moral custodians of Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All betting companies are moral hypocrites, but what kind of idiot, an idiot who makes his money in the industry no less, sits on a dead horse for a photo op and then digs deeper with stupid stories as to why the photo was taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think they are blowing the Gordon Elliot thing way out of proportion. I see that BetFair have ended it's association with Gordon Elliott with immediate effect. BetFair, those moral custodians of Irish society.

There's a very active thread on here on the topic and it seems to be widely spoken about on Twitter at the moment also.

If they didn't cover it, they'd be accused of turning a blind eye.

Do they want the guy's yard to be shut down at this stage. Really pathetic, Joe Duffy style broadcasting from OTB. Elliott did a stupid thing, but how this justifies more vilification than the people recently caught drugging the LIVE horses is beyond me. I hope these presenters don't set the moral high standard so high that they end up hoisting themselves on their own petard. They better hope that a photo from their past never comes up for the sake of their own career, or they could start running through staff as quick as AFTV.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don't.

Horse racing's reputation is in the absolute bin among many because of the amount that are killed on track every year at high profile events.

Then, having one of the top trainers in the game sitting on a dead horse and smiling? Nah, pull the other one.

He's getting everything he deserves here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bike2wkr

I agree with you
    Completely blown out of proportion. Didn't look good but he gave explanation. Animals dying is part and parcel of yards/farms etc.

• Advertisement

It’s grand to sit on an animal that has died in your care. Good to know.

Sorry, it’s not ok, but only a little bit.

If he’s willing to do that, you can guarantee that isn’t the end of it.

Do they want the guy's yard to be shut down at this stage. Really pathetic, Joe Duffy style broadcasting from OTB. Elliott did a stupid thing, but how this justifies more vilification than the people recently caught drugging the LIVE horses is beyond me. I hope these presenters don't set the moral high standard so high that they end up hoisting themselves on their own petard. They better hope that a photo from their past never comes up for the sake of their own career, or they could start running through staff as quick as AFTV.

This almost comes across like you know Eliott.

There's now 2 threads on here and given commentary elsewhere online and the actions of the BHA, I think most people are of a similar mindset to OTB on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

bike2wkr wrote: »
    I agree with you
    Completely blown out of proportion. Didn't look good but he gave explanation. Animals dying is part and parcel of yards/farms etc.

He gave an explanation alright, he had to take a call so sat on the horse with a smirk on his face. Idiotic.

Damaging 12 months reputation wise for the industry with Cheltenham last year firing ahead as normal with the world around it been turned upside down(not on this island obviously) along with the this incident and Charles Byrne getting suspended for 1 of his horses testing for a banned substance after running in Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Felexicon wrote: »
    Neither of them do this.

Maybe you should try watching the games with sound on.

Maybe you should try watching the games with sound on.

The obvious response is maybe you should try watching with the volume turned down....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

This almost comes across like you know Eliott.

When someone says to you, "you know X, Y or Z", then it's a yellow card.
    Hmmmmmmm

Did anybody hear John Duggan on this morning, saying that everybody deserves a second chance and blames social media for the cancel culture. Such hypocrisy, given his own shows coverage of the topic. No second chances with the moral flowers on OTB that's for sure.

On Monday night, after they had all condemned Elliott for a few hours on their show and questioned the culture in his yard, they got in some texts and Tweets (i.e social media) which Joe Molloy reluctantly read out:
    "This is out of control, you've too much time on your hands, crazy crazy crazy. I'm not a real horse racing fan but I fully support Gordon Elliott"
    "Lads, I know journos love a scandal but get off the cancel culture, Elliott is a decent guy. He is regarded as a man who looks after horses"
    "It's a pathetic non story, do you lads not eat burgers, hypocrites"
    (which caused Richie to sigh like a school girl)

So tell me John Duggan, who is driving the cancel culture really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Did anybody hear John Duggan on this morning, saying that everybody deserves a second chance and blames social media for the cancel culture.

The guys on the breakfast show were “blaming” social media this morning too. Dr. Ciara Kelly, in particular, was saying it was crazy.

To be honest, I don’t think anyone really “condones” what went on but the outcry is, more than, a little excessive. The excuse was weak but a fine/ban from the governing body, bringing the sport into disrepute or what have you, and a commitment to respecting the animals should be the end of it.

Closing his stables and ending his career is overkill. He didn’t kill the creature for fun, he just did something stupid.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

The guys on the breakfast show were “blaming” social media this morning too. Dr. Ciara Kelly, in particular, was saying it was crazy.

To be honest, I don’t think anyone really “condones” what went on but the outcry is, more than, a little excessive. The excuse was weak but a fine/ban from the governing body, bringing the sport into disrepute or what have you, and a commitment to respecting the animals should be the end of it.

Closing his stables and ending his career is overkill. He didn’t kill the creature for fun, he just did something stupid.

Agreed

The issue is fear around sponsorship. If they for a second feel like their brand will be targeted by a baying mob for condoning it then its not a chance worth taking. They will see it as financially risk averse.

And the baying mob know this, hence their power will increase knowing they can threaten whatever they want (social media campaign on facebook by Maureen who is sitting at home in her PJs with time to kill slandering a random company for not firing some lad who made a sexist joke)

Elliot is some clown in fairness but its way over the top. Some owners will be opportunistic here aswell don't forget, may be a chance for them to move their horses somewhere else for better €€€ deal too, may have feck all to do with welfare.

No issue if an owner is genuinely worried about welfare thats one thing, but if its simply a commercial decision masked as being righteous then thats another matter entirely.

I think people are realising how dangerous social media can be in these situations, Elliott was unbelievably stupid, the photo is horrendous and he'll deservedly get punished. An extreme example I know but what happened with Caroline Flack shows how damaging an online witchunt can be, I think alot of the anger on Monday night's show was fuelled by the misjudged statement Elliott released before his subsequent racing post interview.

• Advertisement

I think people are realising how dangerous social media can be in these situations, Elliott was unbelievably stupid, the photo is horrendous and he'll deservedly get punished.

I think it points out the power of the media as well. They have the ability to end somebody's career. The tone set by the OTB show when this first happened was so extreme that they had to be brought back to objectivity by social media.

Liveline is just as bad. If they choose to, they can focus on one person, airing just the opinions of those against the person and destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Top bants on the Rugby show at the minute between the goys, 2 losses and mediocre win against Italy, still absolutely sending it bleeding green and white left right and centre. The kiwi lad especially, team of us, so proud.

Initiation songs celebrations, more top bants. forever standing tall.

Christ almighty.

I think people are realising how dangerous social media can be in these situations, Elliott was unbelievably stupid, the photo is horrendous and he'll deservedly get punished. An extreme example I know but what happened with Caroline Flack shows how damaging an online witchunt can be, I think alot of the anger on Monday night's show was fuelled by the misjudged statement Elliott released before his subsequent racing post interview.

I think its a mixture of this and dust settling.

I think there was so much shock and outrage at the photo, and his first statement made things worse.

The racing post interview, where he said it was a moment of madness, that was the turning point. People started to get annoyed more with the fact he didn't say this initially rather than what he did himself.

I think people have been able to take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture. I include myself in that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Top bants on the Rugby show at the minute between the goys, 2 losses and mediocre win against Italy, still absolutely sending it bleeding green and white left right and centre. The kiwi lad especially, team of us, so proud.

Christ almighty.

Almost as tedious as hour upon hours of chat about soccer games in which no goals were scored, with in depth analysis of what managers and players said in post match interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

Christ almighty.

Absolute horseplay,
    Absolute carnage.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Almost as tedious as hour upon hours of chat about soccer games in which no goals were scored, with in depth analysis of what managers and players said in post match interviews.

I wouldn’t say it was tedious, somewhat bizarre is the only way I would describe it. Two well paid Irish pros come on mid competition which is disastrous and it’s just this big love in circle jerk of what rugby fellas consider to be banter, none of which was remotely funny or witty. No discussion about performances or lack there of, let’s talk about some lads initiation song in the changing room (whatever that is). I am not a massive soccer fan but there is some level of humility when a team is underperforming, whether that’s the national team or a club, there is some accountability and honesty about performances. It’s not just this big joke about all the ‘bants’ going about, particularly hard listening to some Kiwi reject who decides to play for us for no other reason through the three year rule and he simply wasn’t good enough for NZ laughing his way through the interview with some top drawer gags and banter, in his mind anyway. These lads, including our own are very often totally out of touch with reality...as are the media that enable them.

Dunno if you heard it? it’s worth listening to purely because of how ridiculous it is. Tedious definitely not, bizarre or pathetic, bit of both I suppose.

Hurrache wrote: »

Soccer is what people want.

I wouldn’t say it was tedious, somewhat bizarre is the only way I would describe it. Two well paid Irish pros come on mid competition which is disastrous and it’s just this big love in circle jerk of what rugby fellas consider to be banter, none of which was remotely funny or witty. No discussion about performances or lack there of, let’s talk about some lads initiation song in the changing room (whatever that is). I am not a massive soccer fan but there is some level of humility when a team is underperforming, whether that’s the national team or a club, there is some accountability and honesty about performances. It’s not just this big joke about all the ‘bants’ going about, particularly hard listening to some Kiwi reject who decides to play for us for no other reason through the three year rule and he simply wasn’t good enough for NZ laughing his way through the interview with some top drawer gags and banter, in his mind anyway. These lads, including our own are very often totally out of touch with reality...as are the media that enable them.

Dunno if you heard it? it’s worth listening to purely because of how ridiculous it is. Tedious definitely not, bizarre or pathetic, bit of both I suppose.

So these former professional rugby players, are more out of touch with reality than somebody listening to the show?
    What reality is that? Surely they know rugby and the context within which they were discussing the game.

We've former Irish soccer pro's who talk about progress also and in that situation the time might not have even scored for x number of games in a row.
    And it's the same the world wide, pretty much every sport and every station that covers it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I really, really wish they'd change the buzzer in the Crappy Quiz.

It's just a fùcking horrible noise.

We've former Irish soccer pro's who talk about progress also

Speaking of which, 10 minutes before hand we had John Giles on telling us that Bruno Fernandes was as useless as Pogba and basically just a goal poacher that can’t do anything without service into the box. A proven box to box attacking midfielder that covers the whole pitch. 15 goals and 10 assists in 27 games. Giles has his finger on the pulse.

• Advertisement

Speaking of which, 10 minutes before hand we had John Giles on telling us that Bruno Fernandes was as useless as Pogba and basically just a goal poacher that can’t do anything without service into the box. A proven box to box attacking midfielder that covers the whole pitch. 15 goals and 10 assists in 27 games. Giles has his finger on the pulse.

I've seen a number of reports over the last week or so that the shine has gone off Bruno a bit and that he needs to recover his form....

I'm not watching full games at the moment so I'm not the best judge myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I didn’t watch it because the way you describe it is exactly how I knew it would be. Initiation songs. How funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

I'm not generally a fan of Giles any more, but he didn't say that Fernandez was as useless as Pobga, that's just hearing what you want to hear. All he said was Fernandez wasn't a central midfielder (in the Giles classic sense), and neither was Pogba. If I remember rightly I think he said Fernandez was a super player. What struck me from that interview was the presenter (don't know who, I don't pay attention to their names or voices) being seemingly surprised that Giles believed Fernandez is a different type of player to Paul Scholes. Seriously? Someone presenting a sports show who thinks that Fernandez and Scholes are similar types of players? Has he ever watched either player? Embarassing.

yuridwyer wrote: »
    I'm not generally a fan of Giles any more, but he didn't say that Fernandez was as useless as Pobga, that's just hearing what you want to hear. All he said was Fernandez wasn't a central midfielder (in the Giles classic sense), and neither was Pogba. If I remember rightly I think he said Fernandez was a super player. What struck me from that interview was the presenter (don't know who, I don't pay attention to their names or voices) being seemingly surprised that Giles believed Fernandez is a different type of player to Paul Scholes. Seriously? Someone presenting a sports show who thinks that Fernandez and Scholes are similar types of players? Has he ever watched either player? Embarassing.

Utd Manager on Bruno Fernandes
    "He reminds me of Scholesy as a player but definitely a different type of personality off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

That says a lot about OGS, and not in a good way (if he actually thinks that, in the sense we're talking about, but I would doubt Solskjaer really believes it. It's a nice soundbite to give reporters and supporters). Of course reminding someone of someone doesn't mean they're a similar player, it might be only be one aspect of their game they're talking about.

I'm a United fan (long long time). Love both players but they are not similar. Anyone who thinks they are doesn't understand football. Scholes controlled the tempo of games and rarely gave the ball away. Fernandez, for all his qualities, doesn't attempt to control the game, he wants to play forward all the time and gives the ball away a lot in the opposition half. Don't get me wrong, for this United team it's something that is necessary in terms of taking risks, previous United teams with Scholes in it had enough quality in other areas to just let that quality dominate teams.

Giles was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I really, really wish they'd change the buzzer in the Crappy Quiz.

It's just a fùcking horrible noise.

The quiz show isn’t particularly enjoyable, but that noise is like a chainsaw to the ear.

Only got listening to this today. I don’t mind him sometimes and enjoy reading some of his articles but Jesus he can be insufferable at times. That was him at his worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Only got listening to this today. I don’t mind him sometimes and enjoy reading some of his articles but Jesus he can be insufferable at times. That was him at his worst.

Only listened to some of it. Brolly saying wee James every 2 minutes, like he wasn't there was cringe stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5T4gRdEuAA

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »
    Only listened to some of it. Brolly saying wee James every 2 minutes, like he wasn't there was cringe stuff.

Just came across as really condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Jaysus that was a weak sunday paper review.
    John Duggan sounded like he pulled the short straw and was forced into hosting the 'discussion'.

Also, the sound quality of Sarah O Donovan's line was shocking. If your going on national radio for an hour, surely you could justify the cost of a decent headset system?

bamayang wrote: »
    Also, the sound quality of Sarah O Donovan's line was shocking. If your going on national radio for an hour, surely you could justify the cost of a decent headset system?

With a long time, I've found the audio of guests on Newstalk shows can be very poor and particularly since digital calls on the likes of Skype started being used more frequently. Pat Kenny frequently and Joe Molloy occasionally are the only ones I can remember who'd say they must try again and go to an ad break or something.

It's better now but still bad on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

rrs wrote: »

Just came across as really condescending.

In fairness to Brolly (And I am not a big fan of his) 'Wee James' is commonly used to distinguish the younger James, from his auld fella who is (also called James) who played for Down in the 60's.

For example in this article (not a Brolly one) 'Wee James' was used.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20126659.html

'‘Wee James’ scored 3-1. Every time he gained possession an electric current ran through the crowd. His explosive style was predictable but unstoppable. Drawing on his searing pace and power, he simply ran in straight lines towards the goals. His cool, clinical finishing provided a striking contrast to his frightening speed."

Also if you do an internet search for 'wee james mccartan' James McCartan Junior shows up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I just listened to the OTB Brolly/Bonner/McCartan interview about Ulster's golden years. John Duggan the presenter should have done a better job of controlling Brolly. He completely dominated the interview. Bonner and McCartan hardly got a word in sideways.

It was a pity, because it could have been a really interesting discussion.

I just listened to the OTB Brolly/Bonner/McCartan interview about Ulster's golden years. John Duggan the presenter should have done a better job of controlling Brolly. He completely dominated the interview. Bonner and McCartan hardly got a word in sideways.

It was a pity, because it could have been a really interesting discussion.
    if they got another Derry player from the era on it could have been an excellent segment, i remember Tony Scuillon from the team doing an interview with Shane Stapleton in the 1st lockdown and it was very interesting, alot of that Derry team were very good hurlers too, Scullion been 1 of them.

• Advertisement

if they got another Derry player from the era on it could have been an excellent segment, i remember Tony Scuillon from the team doing an interview with Shane Stapleton in the 1st lockdown and it was very interesting, alot of that Derry team were very good hurlers too, Scullion been 1 of them.

I firmly blame John Duggan on it, as the presenter his job was to control proceedings and bring in the guests and let them make their points. He did not seem to even attempt too. Just sitting there with a smirk on his face while Brolly was on rant and after rant. There is no way Joanne Cantwell on RTE would have let this happen. Very amateurish stuff as a result. You would hear better on community radio

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

You would hear better on community radio

Ah that's a bit harsh in my view. OTB AM in particular serve the Woke Community very well indeed. :D

Interview with Danny Murphy was good. Some honest stuff from Murphy on how his time in Liverpool ended.

Really good piece with Vinnie Perth this morning, couldn't agree more around some of the toxic media frenzy in recent times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Really good piece with Vinnie Perth this morning, couldn't agree more around some of the toxic media frenzy in recent times

Id have to listen to the piece but not much toxic media coverage of Kenny’s reign I’d have thought. Certainly there has been going to around 1990 from Dunphy through to Dion Fanning.

Dunphy basically made a writing and broadcasting career out of putting targets on manager’s back so I wouldn’t say recent times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement