Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underplanting hawthorn hedge

Options
  • 05-03-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

I have a 60 metre hedge at the roadside at the front of the house which is a mixture of hawthorn, elder, brambles, ivy and and some other growth.

My preference is to have a hawthorn hedge for the full length which will mean taking out some of the hedge where there is currently no hawthorn at all
    and putting in new plants so that's pretty straightforward.

The existing hawthorn parts of the hedge are very mature and kept at a height of approx 4 feet. It is thickest on top and underneath it is a mixture of the aforementioned other plants but it is mainly the ivy which has taken a foothold.

This photo shows part of the edge where I recently cleaned a lot of the ivy out from underneath the hawthorn:

20210305-135118.jpg

If possible I would like to underplant this with new hawthorn plants with the intention that they will eventually fill the gap. I would have to do further cleaning out underneath before I do this.
    However, my question is will the new plants have too much of struggle with the canopy overhead and competition from the existing roots?
    Anyone ever done this?
    If the hawthorn isn't feasible is there anything else suitable for underplanting here?

The next photo shows part of the hedge with hawthorn on the right and a mixture of ivy and elder on the left:

20210305-135534.jpg

My plan with this part would be to remove the left half of that section and plant new hawthorn in its place with the intention that it will eventually grow and blend with the existing hawthorn on the inside.

Any thoughts or observations on what I can or should do with these two parts of the hedge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have the same problem and the same partial solution - in that the ivy has been cleared and there is not much of anything left. We have the added problem that most of it is at the top of a stone wall/ditch. I am of the same opinion as you, the roots will have too much trouble dealing with other roots and, in our case, lack of soil because of stones.

All I can suggest is get some very young hawthorn, one year whips I would think, and put them in as best you can, and see what happens, they are very cheap and all you will lose is a little time if they don't take. My other solution to my gappy hedge, which anyway is certainly not all hawthorn, is to introduce some wild honeysuckle - I have some layers rooting - and wild roses and see if they will fill the gaps. It might be possible (for me) to put them in a fibre pot and just introduce it into the stones/roots/whatever else and let it sort itself out. Give them some water in dry periods at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks for the reply, looksee.

Yes, I'll give it a shot. Will probably add some new soil as well and mulch as best I can to keep the weeds down and also water frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I would suggest getting 2-3ft whips and cut them back to 1ft- they will have better roots developed and by cutting back, the plant will fork and become bushier to fill out the base. It feels counterintuitive to cut back plants you have just bought, but it does work! I would also add a few holly and do the same thing- and as they re evergreen the hedge will appear less bare in winter. Throw in a few primroses as well to catch the eye in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

How about laying the hedge that's there
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0W5kM4kE0

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    How about laying the hedge that's there
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0W5kM4kE0

I wondered about that but I don't think there is enough useful branches and space to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Often wondered about using whitetorn in a situation like that to thicken it up. Downside though is you have to put up with side suckers in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What you do is mixture of coppicing, laying and interplanting. Coppicing is cutting whitethorn about 4-6'' from the ground. The roots that are left will send up shoots like whitethorn quicks. As you coppice any suitable trunks can be laid. This will give you room to deal with the bramble and elder. When you cut a elder try to split the trunk and paint a strong gysophate mixture (roundup) or a brushwood killer onto it to kill it. Do something similar with the brambles.

It's virtually impossible to kill ivy. However it will surpress other weeds under your hedge. In between you existing white thorn roots plant new quicks. You could also plant a hazel plant or two or better still a few trees. You could allow 1-2 of the whitethorn grow to become a standard tree. They seldom exceed 12-15', mountain ash is another low sized tree or a crab apple.

This is not a job for this year. It is now too late to interfere with a hedge. We are into march and the hedge cutting/laying season has closed. As well it really too late to set quicks. They would struggle anyway as the underneath of a hedge can be very dry.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks for all the replies.

One thing I won't be doing is laying it (I was expecting that to be suggested!). I really like the concept but the material in the hedge doesn't really lend itself to it
    and it's not wide enough anyway.

Will consider all the other suggestions between now and next autumn and will hopefully have a plan ready to implement by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Yes, the hedge would need to be a good bit taller to be fit for laying.

Advertisement