Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub Frame dismantle and resprasy

Options
  • 06-03-2021 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi all,
    So the bike is Vstrom 1000 2014 and I've had it 2 years, was/is well looked after by previous owner and myself.

There's a common problem with the subframe esp around weld points where rust is appearing. Last year I wire wheeled, treated with Jenolite, Zinc primed, retouched with matching spray and used to ACF it after a wash. Bike is not used too much due to WFH the last year.

Kinda annoying me now that it's really noticeable (to me anyway) so thinking of taking the subframe out and getting it resprayed, or if I brought it to a spray painter would they be comfortable taking it out for me? Just wondering do they do that and have no problem doing it?
    I hear guys here getting tanks resprayed etc and wondered do they just bring the tank in or the bike?

And next question, I'd sort of be confident of taking it all apart as there's many bolts holding integral parts together but wondered have many others done similar, any advice? I'd be inclined to photo the f&%k out of everything to make sure I know which part went where and how...
    Few pics below just so you can see what I see.
    Thanks,

Edit: Pics are not previewing for some reason but will host soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

31kyyHjn_t.jpg OyTBSzTC_t.jpg 8UehdIKT_t.jpg 9I9FmYqE_t.jpg Dsgcq2Ol_t.jpg 9MD2cVpK_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

If it were me I'd powder coat it if I was annoyed to the extent you are by the corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

H_Lime wrote: »
    If it were me I'd powder coat it if I was annoyed to the extent you are by the corrosion.
    Thanks H Lime, Would you take it out first to get it powder coated or would you leave the bike with the person doing it to remove it?
    I know it'd have to come out either way but just wondering? I guess a call to a few folk that offer that service would explain it but just curious for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Thanks H Lime, Would you take it out first to get it powder coated or would you leave the bike with the person doing it to remove it?
    I know it'd have to come out either way but just wondering? I guess a call to a few folk that offer that service would explain it but just curious for now.
    It would need to be removed. It's laborious but not rocket science so if you're capable and have the tools just be methodical and take photos as you go. Failing that give the bike to somone who can and take the subframe to be coated. It won't be a problem for you thereafter.

Advertisement