Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I wasn't saying that, I was just answering to why I believe it may be happening.
    They were definitely having issues due to drivers having to do different routes and stick in traffic.

Heard lately they have even been throwing passengers off as they can go on to get back on time at the other terminus.
    Not sure if true or not but that isn't on at all.

Have you contacted GAI and the nta.
    If not do so and don't bother on twitter, contact the CEO of each.
    NTA is Anne Graham

I’ve found GAI incredibly difficult to deal with, from blatant lying, to just ignoring complaints. They seem to reply quickly enough when you cc local TDs in your emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I’ve found GAI incredibly difficult to deal with, from blatant lying, to just ignoring complaints. They seem to reply quickly enough when you cc local TDs in your emails.

You tweet them a lot, and your tone is always very demanding and unreasonable, so they've probably dismissed you as a crank.

.anon. wrote: »
    You tweet them a lot, and your tone is always very demanding and unreasonable, so they've probably dismissed you as a crank.

I tweet them when they don’t provide the service they're paid to provide, it’s hardly my fault that’s a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

When passenger numbers allow, they occasionally transfer passengers from a bus that's running late onto the next one, if they're running close together. It's not ideal, but Dublin Bus used to do the same (I don't know if they still do). It certainly wouldn't be company policy to just throw passengers off unless there was another bus to throw them onto.

Yeah I think DB call that turning short and apparently it has not been agreed to by SIPTU at least as of 2017
    http://www.dublinbusdrivers.com/turningshort.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,544 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty standard service recovery procedure - ensure passengers aren't further delayed by the swap and get a vehicle back the opposite direction. Only practical on high frequency routes.

Irish operators of all kinds need to study how others do service recovery - Irish Rail are incompetent at it when there's signalling issues or stopped trains even where they have alternative paths, bi directional signalling and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

as on other thread DB have been great during lockdown but its a shame that they are cutting the hospital routes during this period. Have they indicated a timeframe for this enhanced saturday schedule as i'm spending 20e a pop on taxis instead of 2.55e on bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pottokblue wrote: »
    as on other thread DB have been great during lockdown but its a shame that they are cutting the hospital routes during this period. Have they indicated a timeframe for this enhanced saturday schedule as i'm spending 20e a pop on taxis instead of 2.55e on bus

Which hospital routes are cut?

If it's say the 7 they put extra works on for the peak times and if there are issues contact them and they will add if needs be....

They done this in the 1st lockdown where it went to Saturday service for a good number of weeks.

pottokblue wrote: »
    Have they indicated a timeframe for this enhanced saturday schedule as i'm spending 20e a pop on taxis instead of 2.55e on bus

Probably will go back to M-F timetables once schools return

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Finished work later than anticipated yesterday so just missed the sole Xpresso service still serving Clondalkin (51d at 5.15) so jumped Luas up to James to catch the 13 instead. 15 min wait and myself, another guy who was there before and a woman and with a toddler in her arms who arrived after me eventually waiting at the stop. Bus arrives and lad gets on first and I let the woman and toddler on ahead of me. I go to get on and driver (who saw me let her ahead of me) says bus is full (it wasn't, wheelchair/buggy space was empty.) I had been working in an essential government service since 8am that morning and also had a heavy backpack crammed full of files to do at home.

30 min wait for next 13 to Clondalkin, so I got a citybound 13 (that was jammed!) and got the 69 home. Left office at 5.10 and got home just after 7pm. The joys of commuting on public transport during Covid.

• Advertisement

Finished work later than anticipated yesterday so just missed the sole Xpresso service still serving Clondalkin (51d at 5.15) so jumped Luas up to James to catch the 13 instead. 15 min wait and myself, another guy who was there before and a woman and with a toddler in her arms who arrived after me eventually waiting at the stop. Bus arrives and lad gets on first and I let the woman and toddler on ahead of me. I go to get on and driver (who saw me let her ahead of me) says bus is full (it wasn't, wheelchair/buggy space was empty.) I had been working in an essential government service since 8am that morning and also had a heavy backpack crammed full of files to do at home.

30 min wait for next 13 to Clondalkin, so I got a citybound 13 (that was jammed!) and got the 69 home. Left office at 5.10 and got home just after 7pm. The joys of commuting on public transport during Covid.

1st come 1st served....

Just because someone isn't in wheelchair area doesn't mean the bus isn't full...

People are thick and sit everywhere they aren't meant to...

You should have got on as you were there before, it's just how it is at the moment and we as Drivers aren't getting joy out of turning passengers down.

My morning commute has changed too. GoAhead decided to pull the only bus that got me to work at around 9am, normally around 8:50. So my choices are get the earlier bus and get to work before 8am, over an hour early, or the later bus and get to work at 9:25/9:30, half an hour late. They are literally the only public transport that runs that route, there is no other way to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Will there be another extension for tax saver tickets?

I took the extra 6 months instead of a refund, but that's been no good to me.

My morning commute has changed too. GoAhead decided to pull the only bus that got me to work at around 9am, normally around 8:50. So my choices are get the earlier bus and get to work before 8am, over an hour early, or the later bus and get to work at 9:25/9:30, half an hour late. They are literally the only public transport that runs that route, there is no other way to get there.

They didn't decide anything. The NTA did. However, if these changes impact upon several people, and not just yourself, it might be worth contacting them (politely, if you can manage that) and getting others to do so too, because they might be able to add an extra bus to meet demand, subject to the NTA giving them permission.

People are thick and sit everywhere they aren't meant to...

To be fair a lot of the signs are missing

GT89 wrote: »
    To be fair a lot of the signs are missing

Since the 1st day they will sit on them....

I know they do be pulled off sure see them out on the streets....

People are that dim they will sit anywhere and find a lot they will be on top of eachother even after all this time....

• Advertisement

There's people on twitter who complain to DB every day that buses are passing by them full at stops due to social distancing capacity then when buses do pick them up they complain buses are too busy and they feel unsafe.

There's people on twitter who complain to DB every day that buses are passing by them full at stops due to social distancing capacity then when buses do pick them up they complain buses are too busy and they feel unsafe.

Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.....

Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.....

Very true it's usually the same people everyday too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Timing point are incoming rapidly for Dublin bus.

Going to take a long time to get home soon. Buses driving around like snails on empty roads. Full buses sitting at stops with doors closed ..

I expect alot of pissed of people.

Timing point are incoming rapidly for Dublin bus.

Going to take a long time to get home soon. Buses driving around like snails on empty roads. Full buses sitting at stops with doors closed ..

I expect alot of pissed of people.

Journeys won't take any longer than the timetable currently states. I have more sympathy for the people who currently get left at the bus stop because their bus passed it ten minutes before it was due. Timing points are a fundamentally good idea, but they should be done alongside reasonable timetables - which would require bus priority measures that eliminate the effect that private cars have on the speed of public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Will Monday to Friday timetables be restored from next week, now that we know the schools are starting to come back from Monday?

Will Monday to Friday timetables be restored from next week, now that we know the schools are starting to come back from Monday?

I don't think it'll be quite that soon (haven't heard anything yet anyway), but a lot of kids will be getting left behind at bus stops if they aren't restored soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Word is we're staying on Saturday+ until May

They will just add in extra buses where needed like before.

Garages are full of free buses.
    Ax and Ev are all parked in the shed in Donnybrook, mirrors removed.

Only primary schools (junior infants-2nd class) and 6th years going back. It's generally mostly secondary school children relying on public transport to get to and from school.

Journeys won't take any longer than the timetable currently states. I have more sympathy for the people who currently get left at the bus stop because their bus passed it ten minutes before it was due. Timing points are a fundamentally good idea, but they should be done alongside reasonable timetables - which would require bus priority measures that eliminate the effect that private cars have on the speed of public transport.

With the exception of route 84 Dublin bus don't have timing points presently buses only have departure from the terminus. Buses are not due at a particular time at a particular stop. If people miss a bus chances are it left the terminus on time or was late.

The timing points model works better for lower frequency route meaning it's works well for GAI and low frequency DB routes. For high frequency DB routes an even headway system would work better this means instead of running to fixed times drivers avoid running too close to the bus in front in order tomprevent bunching.

Only primary schools (junior infants-2nd class) and 6th years going back. It's generally mostly secondary school children relying on public transport to get to and from school.

I've been left behind by my once hourly route after work at 5pm & 6pm last Thursday, Friday & this lovely evening at 6pm cos bus is 'at capacity' by the outskirts of the city centre. To say that the increase in teachers & more people going back to work because kids are back in school won't add more passengers on at capacity peak time services is nonsense and ignoring reality. They should at least restore the X services to pre level 5 levels morning & evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm making the early morning route again usually about 1-5 on the bus, nighttime maybe 1-10. I'm still suprised that peeps aren't opening windows near them. Sunday afternoon I got the bus to see a friend and the driver started flashing the indoor lights at the last stop for a split second I felt I was back in the pub when they flashed the lights for "last drinks/last destination".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I had to go for a dental appointment in IFSC on Wednesday and attempted to use Docklands train to get home but the whole place was shuttered when I arrived and no train timetable online. I tried to google but don't see one word anywhere about it being closed due to COVID. Is there an official status as to why it's closed and when it'll reopen?

Saturday timetable since the start of January. It's a Monday-Friday station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ongarboy wrote: »
    I had to go for a dental appointment in IFSC on Wednesday and attempted to use Docklands train to get home but the whole place was shuttered when I arrived and no train timetable online. I tried to google but don't see one word anywhere about it being closed due to COVID. Is there an official status as to why it's closed and when it'll reopen?

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-IE/train-timetables/revised-timetable-in-operation-from-11th-january#maynoothm3dart

Reduced due to Covid: Saturday service on commuter lines, Docklands is only open Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

So in essence, no service to Docklands Monday to Friday as it never had a Saturday service? Why not just list it as being shut? Infrequent users won't know that a Saturday Docklands service Monday to Friday means no service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is Go Ahead currently operating a normal Monday-Friday service (with 25% capacity)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Is Go Ahead currently operating a normal Monday-Friday service (with 25% capacity)?

Yes,though I've been on a bus that exceeded that.

Yes,though I've been on a bus that exceeded that.

Thanks, I fully expect the 76 to be jammers, I just wasn't sure about the timetable, with DB running to Saturday times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Thanks, I fully expect the 76 to be jammers, I just wasn't sure about the timetable, with DB running to Saturday times.

No, GAI are running to the Saturday Plus timetables too

No, GAI are running to the Saturday Plus timetables too

OK. Thanks. Looking at it now, is the timetable currently listed under each route the Saturday Plus - valid from 24th Jan? So the normal timetable is no longer listed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ongarboy wrote: »
    So in essence, no service to Docklands Monday to Friday as it never had a Saturday service? Why not just list it as being shut? Infrequent users won't know that a Saturday Docklands service Monday to Friday means no service.

I agree with you, especially as they have removed all the timetable PDFs from the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A fire has destroyed a large number of buses in Los Angeles.

https://youtu.be/DZ0XODG5wmA

Sorry I am posting link on mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A fire has destroyed a large number of buses in Los Angeles.

https://youtu.be/DZ0XODG5wmA

Sorry I am posting link on mobile.

The virus starting fires now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Any word on how long the Saturday service will continue for?

The combination of Saturday service and the return of schools is not good for travel.

Am noticing the odd bus service not running too. I suppose it happens with people calling in sick it can happen but 30 minutes between busses can be a pain in the morning at rush hour.

Until construction activities return probably, although they will really have to look at the buses when the next batch of schools open

Any word on how long the Saturday service will continue for?

The combination of Saturday service and the return of schools is not good for travel.

Am noticing the odd bus service not running too. I suppose it happens with people calling in sick it can happen but 30 minutes between busses can be a pain in the morning at rush hour.

Have been denied getting on 3 buses yesterday evening and this morning cos they were “full”.

Losing so much time and almost late this morning for work as a result.

My 7.30am bus has been full by the time it gets to me last 2 mornings so got up earlier and got the 6.55am one instead today so am hanging around work longer now. 3 free seats on it when I got on. Surely defeats the purpose of running less buses because of Covid, if those buses are now full of more people (thus more covid risk) than if a regular service was operated even just at morning/evening peak. Same with the useless Garda check/stand around and chatpoints that block bus lanes, you just end up sitting on busy buses for longer.

No thought put into this by our political/medical betters, probably cos none of them rely on public transport to get to work to begin with.

GAI adding some extra departures from Monday
    https://www.goaheadireland.ie/odma-timetable-change-sunday-8th-march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Conyngham Road have been sending an extra 69 out from the garage for the 7:20 departure to Rathcoole.

Doesn't enter service until Inchicore.

At 25% capacity I've managed to not be able to get a seat at Islandbridge which is madness!

One of twelve a bus passed by this afternoon. Things are way busier, kids back at school, need more capacity on DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Zebra3 wrote: »
    One of twelve a bus passed by this afternoon. Things are way busier, kids back at school, need more capacity on DB.
    Its upto the nta and government to up capacity

Is the limit on double deckers 17 or 23 now?

They are sending 2 buses at a time for my bus this week. It has been full from the 5th stop for the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement