Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q102 Derry

• 09-02-2021 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Anyone know what has happened to the station? It looks like they've been bought over by a company now based in Belfast and are pretty much non-existant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't listened to it for any length of time in maybe 10 or 15 years,but as you say it appears to be like a franchise station now?

Does it even have local presenters or is it just a feed from a studio in Belfast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's been part of the Q Northern Ireland network since God knows how long now; I'd say since about 2004. If you're lucky you might hear them do one link a week saying hello to somebody in Stroke City in order to conform to IBA's minimal local broadcast output requirements. Other than that it's pretty much networked from Belfast all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

NIMAN wrote: »
    Haven't listened to it for any length of time in maybe 10 or 15 years,but as you say it appears to be like a franchise station now?

Does it even have local presenters or is it just a feed from a studio in Belfast?

The last I heard they shared an office space with Derry News but I'm not even sure that exists anymore. Kind of sad to happen to a station that used to have some sort of prominence in the city. Apart from BBC Radio Foyle, there's now only Drive 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

Q102.9 is a shadow of its former self. Frankie and co in the end where only interested in making a quick profit and Derry lost a truly local and decent station for the people of Derry. It is complete rubbish now. But on the bright side I see that River Radio are looking to bring back local radio to Derry, if only on the dab platform.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/uk-news/river-fm-director-gerard-doherty-tells-council-station-will-fill-gap-youth-radio-market-dab-licence-3132668

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are young people actually listening to radio though, especially with Spotify and the like?

And having a DAB only station would limit their potential market even more. I'd say many households may have an FM only radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

fmfan wrote: »
    Q102.9 is a shadow of its former self. Frankie and co in the end where only interested in making a quick profit and Derry lost a truly local and decent station for the people of Derry. It is complete rubbish now. But on the bright side I see that River Radio are looking to bring back local radio to Derry, if only on the dab platform.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/uk-news/river-fm-director-gerard-doherty-tells-council-station-will-fill-gap-youth-radio-market-dab-licence-3132668

That's good, hopefully they get a license. It's good that they're involving the Nerve Centre and the Tech which is something I wish Channel 9 did more when they were broadcasting. It always amazed me that they didn't link up with other production companies in the area. The owners seriously took that license for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

I see that River Radio in Derry have won a license to start broadcasting on DAB in Derry.
    https://www.derrynow.com/news/news/614017/derry-radio-station-awarded-new-licence-to-support-its-development.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wintergirl3

fmfan wrote: »
    I see that River Radio in Derry have won a license to start broadcasting on DAB in Derry.

River Radio was operating as a pirate on 104.7 for a period, they now appear to be going "legit" as a DAB station.

Advertisement