Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 09-07-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

I was involved in a collision where I was at fault and the damage to the other side is about €1300 and to mine about €500. I could pay this out and that would be that and I'd be down near 2k. My second option is to go through the insurance company - I do have NCB full protection with an excess of €350, so to go that way I'd be down initially €350, but just wondering to what extent the claim would affect my renewal premium or any other offers of cover from other companies come renewal time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Goose81

Most other companies won't quote if you have had a claim in the last 5 years so you will be stuck with your current insurer but that's what you paid extra for NCB protection for. I would claim

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will be stuck with your existing insurance company as no other company will take you on with an open claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will be stuck with your existing insurance company as no other company will take you on with an open claim.

If I go ahead with it, the claim will be settled and closed come renewal time in November I'm assuming.
    So going on what's been said, the current insurance company can come back with any number come renewal time and I'll have to suck it up regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

You know the other person and you know they won't make a personal injury claim later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Goose81

newmember? wrote: »
    If I go ahead with it, the claim will be settled and closed come renewal time in November I'm assuming.
    So going on what's been said, the current insurance company can come back with any number come renewal time and I'll have to suck it up regardless?

Exactly. Any other insurance company you ring up will most likely refuse to quite you for the next 5 years

• Advertisement

I ended up ringing the Insurance company claims dept and had a good conversation with the guy there. Although he couldn't guarantee as to how much my premium would rise come renewal if I claimed, he was under the impression that it would not be as much as the cost of the claim. He was also telling me I had the option of using the insurance company as a financial facility - I could get the insurance company to handle the claim and then pay them back before renewal and the claim would then be struck off the record.
    In the end I elected to pay for the damage myself as the last thing I'd want come renewal time would be to be tied to just one quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

newmember? wrote: »
    I ended up ringing the Insurance company claims dept and had a good conversation with the guy there. Although he couldn't guarantee as to how much my premium would rise come renewal if I claimed, he was under the impression that it would not be as much as the cost of the claim. He was also telling me I had the option of using the insurance company as a financial facility - I could get the insurance company to handle the claim and then pay them back before renewal and the claim would then be struck off the record.
    In the end I elected to pay for the damage myself as the last thing I'd want come renewal time would be to be tied to just one quote.

You really should be more careful and if you want to believe the Insurance company-then you are more foolish than i think.
    Most insurance companies wont take you if you try to switch within three years of a claim. But you being a know it all(going by other posts other threads) you probably knew that? Fool and his...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

You may not lose your no claim bonus but they will load your premium come renewal time. Now they may do it even if you don't make a claim, the fact that you were involved in a accident means they can and probably will load policy. I was in a fault accident a few years back as a named driver and my own insurance was loaded even though i never claimed on my policy

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You really should be more careful and if you want to believe the Insurance company-then you are more foolish than i think.
    Most insurance companies wont take you if you try to switch within three years of a claim. But you being a know it all(going by other posts other threads) you probably knew that? Fool and his...

???

Advertisement