Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to declare extra income?

Options
  • 09-07-2020 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a paye worker ( school teacher). A few years ago I was self assessed through ROS for extra music tuition I did at home. I ceased doing it a few years ago (not worth hassle!)
    I also play music in my local church. This isn't a paid position, although there is a fund to reimburse for any expenses. I do it as a favour/ out of good will.
    However, recently I've been asked to play at funerals a few times. There is a set fee for this (in any church) and the undertakers have handed me a cheque each time. (Haven't lodged any yet as am unsure what to do)
    I presume I need to declare this, and if so, what's the easiest way? There would generally be v few in the year, I might make 500 euro if I'm lucky (before expenses of traveling, photocopying, buying music, etc). Do I wait until the end of the tax year or do something now?
    I am absolutely clueless in this. The income is v small and I certainly don't do it for the money,when you take out the expenses it's v little, so might not be worth the hassle of doing it at all! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Is the 5K Gross or Net earnings?

I understand once you go over 5K you have to register as self assessed and submit a return yourself , is it worth paying a tax accountant for help/advice or is it something easily done yourself?

doh1988 wrote: »
    Is the 5K Gross or Net earnings?

I understand once you go over 5K you have to register as self assessed and submit a return yourself , is it worth paying a tax accountant for help/advice or is it something easily done yourself?

Gross.

Often it is worth getting an accountant as you can write their cost off as an expense (certainly as a landlord anyway).

The OP is well below that level...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Thanks. I was on that myaccount link, but still wasn't sure where the income would go, do I register it as 'new job'? Also what I'm wondering is do I need to do something immediately now or do it at end of year?

Corkie100 wrote: »
    Thanks. I was on that myaccount link, but still wasn't sure where the income would go, do I register it as 'new job'? Also what I'm wondering is do I need to do something immediately now or do it at end of year?

I'd need to have a look in my account again, it's been a while.

You have until 31/10 the year after the income was earned to file.

Some would say for such a small amount you shouldn't bother, that call is up to you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

review your tax for 2019, request statement of liability, complete your income tax return, other income -> trading income.

gross income will be the total earned in 2019.

adjusted profit will be how much is taxable after accounting for expenses.

Advertisement