Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found carrots growing

Options
  • 08-07-2020 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

We bought a house in 2017 in the country which had not been occupied for several years. In a corner of a rush-covered field yesterday I found several dozen carrots. I rarely go in there so hadnt seen them before. They look very fresh (although I am not planning on eating them) i am wondering if it is possible that these were sown many years ago and keep growing without human assistance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    We bought a house in 2017 in the country which had not been occupied for several years. In a corner of a rush-covered field yesterday I found several dozen carrots. I rarely go in there so hadnt seen them before. They look very fresh (although I am not planning on eating them) i am wondering if it is possible that these were sown many years ago and keep growing without human assistance?

They self seed, so yes. It's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Aldi carrots are from Israel at the minute! You could be on to something, wouldn’t it be great for the environment now if they’d grow here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You could be producing a disease resistant, carrot fly resistant, organic variety right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Why wouldn’t you eat them if they look fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

We get a crop every year since we built in 2009, they grow in a secluded area similar to yours. They are delicious and we look forward to them every year. They did start degrading a couple of years ago so we compost the area now and they are back to their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Your rush covered corner could be quite moory/peaty, and as such would possibly have been considered a good spot for carrots etc.
    No stones to cause them to fork or grow crooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No stones to cause them to fork or grow crooked.

Stones do not cause forking in carrots.

Carrots like poor sandy soil, it’s well manured rich soil causes forking!

invicta wrote: »
    Stones do not cause forking in carrots.

Carrots like poor sandy soil, it’s well manured rich soil causes forking!

It's a bad day when you don't learn something new!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It's a bad day when you don't learn something new!

We are right beside the sea but that field is very boggy so ye are both right!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So... I can just stick a few carrot seeds down in a random clear patch and have a no maintenance crop every year? Any particular varieties I should try for this experiment?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    So... I can just stick a few carrot seeds down in a random clear patch and have a no maintenance crop every year? Any particular varieties I should try for this experiment?

Nothing with F1 in its description, as they are varieties which are sterile and cannot develop viable seed.

I'm going to do it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Obviously they would need to be allowed go to seed to keep the cycle going. If you plant them and harvest everything before they flower and set seed then where would the next crop come from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I'm going to do it I think.

I find this guy very informative..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

But if you do that the only problem is that you can’t eat them, unless of course you grow twice as many as you eat.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    But if you do that the only problem is that you can’t eat them, unless of course you grow twice as many as you eat.
    _Brian wrote: »
    Obviously they would need to be allowed go to seed to keep the cycle going. If you plant them and harvest everything before they flower and set seed then where would the next crop come from.
    Well obviously I'll have to let some go to seed, they seem to produce a lot when you let them seed though, I won't be relying on them for my carrot needs :pac:

I just want to see if I can get a zero maintenance patch like the OPs going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Who is the guy in the vid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

lab man wrote:
    Who is the guy in the vid

He has a YouTube channel with growing tips. Seems to get good results each year..

Advertisement