Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT charged from UK company?

Options
  • 07-07-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Some advice please! Google is not helping me

Working for a VAT registered company in Ireland. Received an invoice from a UK registered company and they have charged 20% VAT.

I am correct in thinking they should be charging no VAT (well, reverse charge) on this until the transition period is over?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,029 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Hi,

Some advice please! Google is not helping me

Working for a VAT registered company in Ireland. Received an invoice from a UK registered company and they have charged 20% VAT.

I am correct in thinking they should be charging no VAT (well, reverse charge) on this until the transition period is over?

Thanks in advance!

they should. have you supplied them with your tax reg #?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

they should. have you supplied them with your tax reg #?

Hi, I've supplied them with our tax reg# yes.

Are you saying they should have charged VAT or they should have charged Zero/reverse charge VAT? I realise now my question was a bit poorly worded!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,029 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Are you saying they should have charged VAT or they should have charged Zero/reverse charge VAT? I realise now my question was a bit poorly worded!

and my answer was worded badly! the UK company should not be charging you VAT on the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What was the invoice for? Goods or services? If goods, did they dispatch them to you or did you take delivery in the UK? If services, what type of service? Most services are treated as received where the customer is but some (e.g. conferences, events etc) are where the event takes place.

otherwise, if your supplier does not deal with international customers regularly, perhapsthey are unfamiliar with the rules. If they are wrong, they should re-issue the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

Do you have an Irish Only VAT no or an international one, its a change in the system mainly involving newer registrations

• Advertisement
Advertisement