Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living Room Colour scheme

• 30-06-2020 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice.

I'm re-painting my living room in a dark colour, probably dark olive green.
    My issue is that the fireplace is oak and dark colours never seem to go with it.
    Currently the room is painted off-white/mushroom.
    Would it be a no no to leave the existing colour at the chimney breast and re-paint the rest of the room in the new colour,
    The reason I ask is that I've never seen the chimney breast feature colour in a lighter shade than the rest of a living room.

Grateful for opinions/guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Looking for a bit of advice.

I'm re-painting my living room in a dark colour, probably dark olive green.
    My issue is that the fireplace is oak and dark colours never seem to go with it.
    Currently the room is painted off-white/mushroom.
    Would it be a no no to leave the existing colour at the chimney breast and re-paint the rest of the room in the new colour,
    The reason I ask is that I've never seen the chimney breast feature colour in a lighter shade than the rest of a living room.

Grateful for opinions/guidance.
    Having a brighter colour pop in to the room on a chimney breast which already protrudes may make the room feel smaller,
    I'm looking at my solid oak mantle here as reference to your planning; I think it would go quite well with the oak,

Are you painting the 4 inch wall area around the window white?
    Would look good and increase light a bit,

Also some black framed pictures or a collage formation. I've put a black frame collage in my living room
    As saw here might be an idea: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=645217

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

LenWoods wrote: »
    Having a brighter colour pop in to the room on a chimney breast which already protrudes may make the room feel smaller,
    I'm looking at my solid oak mantle here as reference to your planning; I think it would go quite well with the oak,

Are you painting the 4 inch wall area around the window white?
    Would look good and increase light a bit,

Also some black framed pictures or a collage formation. I've put a black frame collage in my living room
    As saw here might be an idea: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=645217

Thanks for that.
    Interesting to hear that a lighter colour on chimney breast would make the room feel smaller.
    Are you saying that the darker colour right through the room would be the better option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Thanks for that.
    Interesting to hear that a lighter colour on chimney breast would make the room feel smaller.
    Are you saying that the darker colour right through the room would be the better option?

If the chimney breast is a brighter colour to the rest of the room your eyes will be drawn to the brighter colour,
    I'd go with the dark colour throughout the room,
    But you could always paint the chimney breast last and see what you think yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,529 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The fireplace itself can be painted if you think it will look odd with a darker colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

The fireplace itself can be painted if you think it will look odd with a darker colour.

Thanks, I have considered that but I'm a little worried I may destroy the character of it. Ideally I would have a marble fireplace (whitish) which I think would be easier to match with colour. Changing the fireplace is not really on the cards atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

We recently painted our living room Farrow & Ball - Cats Paw
    We have an oak floor and wooden fireplace surround

its a fantastic rich colour and goes really well with the french white painted skirtings & architraves

We got it painted in a store that mixes paints, you dont have to buy a F&B paint tin off the shelf. Ours is mixed from a fleetwood matt base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks, I have considered that but I'm a little worried I may destroy the character of it. Ideally I would have a marble fireplace (whitish) which I think would be easier to match with colour. Changing the fireplace is not really on the cards atm.

I had my oak fireplace painted. Like you I was nervous about it, but it has totally changed the room. The fireplace was very plain, which makes it look very classic. . Looks like a new fireplace. I got a painter to do it, rather than myself.

Not a fan personally of the chimney breast a different colour, it can look choppy and bitty.

Advertisement