Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fabric for roller blind

Options
  • 29-06-2020 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Two questions about roller blinds.

I have roller blinds, they were in the house when I moved in and now I would like to change them.

1) Is there anywhere that updates the material on the blind as I have the mechanisms?

or

2) Has anyone changed the material themselves and if so where did you get material?

I had thought I might try second option out on the kitchen blind, if the first option isnt a goer.

edited to add, I have been googling just no success so far, thought ye boardies might have some ideas I hadn't thought of. They need replacing so might give it ago on kitchen blind and worst comes to worst it doesnt work and sure needs replacing anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

A quick google search brings up Baldoyle blinds. They will use your old rollers.
    It is almost impossible to do it yourself. I'm sure more companies provide the service. Ring your local suppliers and get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

wildwillow wrote: »
    A quick google search brings up Baldoyle blinds. They will use your old rollers.
    It is almost impossible to do it yourself. I'm sure more companies provide the service. Ring your local suppliers and get a quote.

Thanks I've been googling last few hours and ringing places leading to dead ends, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You can get iron-on and spray to stiffen fabric and make it suitable for roller blinds.
    To be honost I think it would cost just about the same and be much less effort to buy new. Most stiffeners do not realy work and it is impossible to get a perfect finish.

Have you considered painting them with a fabric paint? Or maybe a chalk paint with a wax finish would do the job. It is advertised as suitable for upholstery to give it a new look, but I wouldn't be sitting on it in my best clothes!
    Hope you get a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

khalessi wrote: »
    Hi,
    Two questions about roller blinds.

I have roller blinds, they were in the house when I moved in and now I would like to change them.

1) Is there anywhere that updates the material on the blind as I have the mechanisms?

or

2) Has anyone changed the material themselves and if so where did you get material?

I had thought I might try second option out on the kitchen blind, if the first option isnt a goer.

edited to add, I have been googling just no success so far, thought ye boardies might have some ideas I hadn't thought of. They need replacing so might give it ago on kitchen blind and worst comes to worst it doesnt work and sure needs replacing anyways.

I signed in just now in search of the same thing.

I have the old roller blind and I looking for a place that sells blackout material and will cut to size.

I saw a video that makes look easy. I don't have the old blind but I'm hoping it is the same as the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would give kavanaghs a shout.
    I had existing blinds when I moved in just replaced the fabric they were really reasonable

• Advertisement

wildwillow wrote: »

This seems easy enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwywCKnL5Y0

Is there more than one type of roller?

I would really prefer to be able to go the Ikea option but all their blinds and curtains are too small.

When did windows change?

Advertisement