Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical condition declaration

Options
  • 28-06-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

My car insurance is up for renewal in a few weeks. When I received my renewal forms I noticed under the medical section it is marked ‘no’.

I do require a medical to renew my licence (which I discovered last September when I renewed it). It is due to an eye problem. When I applied for my 1st licence 10 years prior I only needed an eye test. I can legally drive without corrective lenses so I always assumed I didn’t have a medical condition which could have affected my ability to drove.

So now I’m in a predicament, if I now inform my insurers with a few weeks before renewal will they cancel my existing policy? This will make it difficult to be insured elsewhere.

I’m incredibly worried. Could anyone give any advice? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is 'no' if you can drive without corrective lens but I'll ask it anyway....

Is there a restriction code (based on your eye condition) on your driving licence? Disregard anything not medically related, like that you can only drive automatics or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is 'no' if you can drive without corrective lens but I'll ask it anyway....

Is there a restriction code (based on your eye condition) on your driving licence? Disregard anything not medically related, like that you can only drive automatics or anything like that.

The only code is 101, indicating that my next licence is subject to a medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Assuming that you're under 70 then, if you have a medical condition that requires a doctor's report (D501) to renew your licence, you need to report it to your insurance company.

The rule is simple - if in doubt, declare it. Stress to everyone you speak to that you have an unrestricted licence. There shouldn't be a problem but it's best to notify them.

coylemj wrote: »
    Assuming that you're under 70 then, if you have a medical condition that requires a doctor's report (D501) to renew your licence, you need to report it to your insurance company.

The rule is simple - if in doubt, declare it. Stress to everyone you speak to that you have an unrestricted licence. There shouldn't be a problem but it's best to notify them.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

I had a no marked before as I'm Deaf. I successfully argued it wasnt a medical condition. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Basic rule of thumb with insurance, is "If in doubt, let the insurance company know, and they can give you an answer". It might possibly increase your premium, but that's a load better than the case where you have an accident, and they refuse to indemnify you due to non-declaration.

anplaya27 wrote: »
    I had a no marked before as I'm Deaf. I successfully argued it wasnt a medical condition. Sorted.

I marked no because when I first applied for my licence a medical wasn’t required. I have no sight in one of my eyes since birth but legally don’t need corrective lenses to drive.
    My Optometrist didn’t think a medical was necessary because I didn’t need time to adjust to having vision in one eye. I got one anyways because the NDLS required and will mention it when renewing my insurance. I’m a worrier as it is, so it’s better they know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like a material fact to me.

Advertisement