Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bed linen from Primark, any good?

• 24-06-2020 9:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

If not, where does one go about getting decent linen that's not at exploitation level prices.

It's not being used to cover the Queens bed, but still, I like setup fresh, clean, looking sharp, smooth.

That dust collecting linen I bought from Primark last year, LAWD.

Terrible linen.

Their undersheet is fine.

Duvet cover and half decent pillow cases would be nice.

I can't imagine it gets any cheaper outside Primark so, is Primark stuff worth a damn?
    If not, next best stop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I find Dunnes stuff decent and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My daughters beds are dripping in Primark stuff and it gets washed ALOT. Holds up fine.
    However for my bed, Harvey Norman, excellent quality and price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

So far we got Dunnes and Harvey Norman (don't have the latter local to me, their prices are my style).

Home Store and More?

Had a look on their website.
    Undersheets alone were coming in about 25/30 euro.
    F**k that noise - I'm not about to drop 100+ on a bedroom set.

Just half decent linen that doesn't look like garbage after a couple washes (maybe that depends on the threading etc however, less where it's actually being sold)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I got some of Amazon's own-brand 'Umi' 300 thread sheets and they're very nice. If you want to go a bit swankier for duvet covers etc Bedeck of Belfast are excellent.

I got a set from primark a few years back that has stood the test of time and hot washes.

I like dunnes too but hate their pillows and duvets. Really bad quality.

Stay away from harry corry as the quality is the worst of the lot.

Luxury brand - bedecks of Belfast. Looks and feels amazing and washes well too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Got some decent duvet cover sets (with pillows) and fitted sheets from Arnotts (online) at better than half price recently.

Considering getting a 4.5 tog duvet.

sabat wrote: »
    I got some of Amazon's own-brand 'Umi' 300 thread sheets and they're very nice. If you want to go a bit swankier for duvet covers etc Bedeck of Belfast are excellent.

Great minds, sabat. Great minds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If you are not spending 100+ on an entire set, then you can't be expecting quality.

It's like saying you are not going to spend more than 2,000 on a car. Sure, you can buy a car for less than that, and it will do the job of getting you from A to B but nobody would consider it quality.

The same with bedding. If you are spending less than 100 on the entire set, then you absolutely can. You will get a full set, and it will serve its purpose, but nobody would consider it "quality".

For quality, you are really talking about 500+ RRP. The good news is that there is almost always sales in bedding, and sometimes with quite good discounts. I would say, expect to pay 300+, in a sale, if you want quality.

debenhams have an online sale, usually go with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Thread moved to Interior Design & Decoration

Please read the Interior Design & Decoration Charter Here before posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Dunnes Paul Costello range is lovely.
    I have some Bailey & Cole Hotel Collection bed linen that is my absolute favourite right now, and I think it was from Homestore & More last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

IKEA's sets are great - cheap and good quality. I have a few, and I love 'em.

(I love my very high thread count Linen Bundle set far more, but that's an investment!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

This isn't after hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

We got a set from linenbundle.ie
    Delighted with the quality, and ended up getting a second set from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Avoid anything that is not 100% cotton.

Then look for a decent thread count. 300+

Aldi can be good when they have it.

TK Maxx too, but you need to know what is a real price reduction and what is their own overpriced brand (about 50% of tk Maxx items are own brands and are overpriced)

Also depends on whether you plan to keep them for a few years or like to change more regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Oh, I've just looked at their website. I want their 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton bed linen. It's expensive but would last years, it's something to save for.

Are their pillows good? I'm sick of buying pillows that are like pancakes after a few weeks.

We got a set from linenbundle.ie
    Delighted with the quality, and ended up getting a second set from them.

Actually they look fantastic too and the bundles are good value.

Actually they look fantastic too and the bundles are good value.

Linenbundle.ie stuff is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

First lone voice for Marks and Spencer. The all cotton ones or with a high cotton %

They are not the very cheapest but not the dearest: They look well, feel nice, last well, and have not let me down yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

You'll be fine with the cheaper brands (I've Ikea sets from over 10 years ago and still holding up) as lonmg as they're 100% cotton. That is the main thing as it'll let you breathe. I found a lot of penneys spreads are polyester mixes so not ideal IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Oh, I've just looked at their website. I want their 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton bed linen. It's expensive but would last years, it's something to save for.

Are their pillows good? I'm sick of buying pillows that are like pancakes after a few weeks.

I just got 2 duvet covers and 2 of the 400 TC top sheets (which I'm using as covers in this weather) from them so I can't answer. I'll probably get one of the heavy down duvets and a couple of pillows while they're still at summer sale prices so I'll update you. Delivery etc was flawless compared to the shambles most companies have been lately.

I just got 2 duvet covers and 2 of the 400 TC top sheets (which I'm using as covers in this weather) from them so I can't answer. I'll probably get one of the heavy down duvets and a couple of pillows while they're still at summer sale prices so I'll update you. Delivery etc was flawless compared to the shambles most companies have been lately.

Cheers, there's nothing like a comfy bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

I would go to Guineys for cheaper bed linen. For something a bit more expensive I like Foxford bed linen, usually buy it in Arnotts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Bought stuff in pennys years ago and it was great, but only buy cotton everything. Yes the colour choices not amazing but I’ve done things here 10 years plus and still going strong being washed tumble dried and ironed. Polyester stuff I find horrible and bobbly and doesn’t last at all.

Homestore and more have their hotel collection half price this month.

I've never tried it, but it might be of interest to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Having recently made the switch to Homestore and More, I have to say that it is worth the extra money. Your sleep is vital for your health and wellbeing, you spend a third of your life in your bed, so I don't see the problems when it only works out at 25 extra for a set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Homestore and more have their hotel collection half price this month.

I've never tried it, but it might be of interest to someone.

The bamboo sheets are gorgeous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

screamer wrote: »
    Bought stuff in pennys years ago and it was great, but only buy cotton everything. Yes the colour choices not amazing but I’ve done things here 10 years plus and still going strong being washed tumble dried and ironed. Polyester stuff I find horrible and bobbly and doesn’t last at all.

Maybe that was the issue with the pillow cases, polyester - they got real unclean and dusty looking really quick (when I bought them I had no idea their material and there's no tags on them to check).

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

As with anything in TK Maxx, they have great bargains in bedding but may not meet your colour requirements.

• Advertisement

Duck or goose down all the way!!

I've had two now, first one I got in Arnott's (I think, it was years ago), and it eventually went a bit flat and floppy.

My latest one is is from the Silverhill Duck shop in Emyvale in Monaghan, and it's still going strong years later - I love it to the point that I bring it with me if I'm travelling in Ireland in the car!

Otherwise, the feather/down mix pillows from IKEA are fantastic (just not in comparison to the all down one).

Just to bump this for anyone who wants to treat themselves - linenbundle.ie offering 45% off if you sign up to their newsletter (and maybe even if you don't? possibly a Black Friday thing).

This is my favourite bedlinen, bar none. 500 thread count, super soft, utter luxury.

(I have no connection with them, just love the stuff!)

Advertisement