Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyres ER6-N

Options
  • 23-06-2020 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Considering going for Bridgestone Hypersport S21.

Bike is (was) intended as a commuter.

Was gonna go with Dunlops (GPR 300) but think the Bridgestone may be a better tyre.

The price difference is :
    Bridgestone €99 front, €120 back : total €219 (+fitting)
    Dublop €77 font, 97 back : €174 (+fitting)

Approx €46 in the difference in price.

Any advise (specifically on these 2 tyres) welcome

Thanks.
    Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

jim salter wrote: »
    Considering going for Bridgestone Hypersport S21.

Bike is (was) intended as a commuter.

Was gonna go with Dunlops (GPR 300) but think the Bridgestone may be a better tyre.

The price difference is :
    Bridgestone €99 front, €120 back : total €219 (+fitting)
    Dublop €77 font, 97 back : €174 (+fitting)

Approx €46 in the difference in price.

Any advise (specifically on these 2 tyres) welcome

Thanks.
    Jim

I've Michelin pilots on my cbr and love them.
    Mate was adamant battle axe were the best tire ever and she's converted to pilots on her 400rr says they're worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

I got Michelin Pilot Road 4, best tyre I have ever used.

Great reviews and the Garda bikes use them.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/motorcycle-tyres/michelin/pilot-road-4/120-70-r17-tl-58-w.html

About €100 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have Pilot Road 4 on my Deauville, I like the wet grip a lot, dry is good as well but they seem to be much better than most in wet and damp conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Well feic ye anyways. :D

I was all set on the Bridgestone and now I'm considering the Pilot Road 4

Have Pilot Sport 4's on the car (400hp AWD) and they are the best tyre I've put on it, I may just have to do the same for the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Well feic ye anyways. :D

I was all set on the Bridgestone and now I'm considering the Pilot Road 4

Have Pilot Sport 4's on the car (400hp AWD) and they are the best tyre I've put on it, I may just have to do the same for the bike

I love them like riding on a cloud but no lack of grip in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The 2 tyres you're looking at are more sports focused. I've had the bridgestones and they spin up way too much in the wet, I'd avoid them. I would encourage you to look at sports touring tyres, they will last longer and normally offer better traction in the wet. A good balance for most riding. The top sports touring tyres are all pretty similar imo but I've had more PR4s than any other, I've always gone back to them. Consider these, I'd go with whichever is cheapest, PR3, PR4, Road 5, roadtec 01, angel GT, roadsmart 3.

Got a quote of €293 fitted for PR4's (120/70/17 front, 160/60/17 rear from Cotters.

Can buy online for €233 from Pneus (+approx €40 fitting : total €277).

On Tyres.ie for €219 (+approx €40 fitting: total €269) the place I am considering have the fitting done will stand over the fitting of the tyre but not the tyre itself (which it completely understandable)

Can anyone recommend anywhere else in Dublin/Meath/Kildare that may be more competitively priced?

Got a quote of €293 fitted for PR4's (120/70/17 front, 160/60/17 rear from Cotters.

Can buy online for €233 from Pneus (+approx €40 fitting : total €277).

On Tyres.ie for €219 (+approx €40 fitting: total €269) the place I am considering have the fitting done will stand over the fitting of the tyre but not the tyre itself (which it completely understandable)

Can anyone recommend anywhere else in Dublin/Meath/Kildare that may be more competitively priced?

Get back to cotters and quote them the best price and see if they'll fit them for free if you buy from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

PR's would be my choice too, great grip and super on mileage.

For commuting and touring I really wouldn't bother with another tyre at this stage.

Not sure how many pennies you want to pinch but you can get the angel gts for 200 online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

A sport-touring tyre is the best compromise for most people.

Michelin Pilot Road 2 (if on a budget, the first proper dual compound tyre and very good in the wet).
    Michelin Pilot 3 or 4 (better, but more money. They're extremely good in the wet).
    Pirelli Angel GT (great tyre, very good in the wet, great stability in any condition).
    Bridgestone BT023 (a bit of an old design now but still a good tyre and can be picked up cheap).
    Bridgestone T30 (development of the BT023, great wet weather ability, stable out, good grip too).
    Avon Storm 3d (another good wet weather tyre but I lost confidence in it when it was worn out whereas others remained grippy).

They're the ones I've had throughout my years on bikes. There is no such thing as a "bad" sport touring tyre these days, it's more about personal preference. BTW there's no such thing as a "Battleaxe", the BT023 is a member of the Battleaxe family, so was the BT021 etc etc).

Enjoy exploring!

Ended up ordering Pilot Road 4 online (tyres.ie) and the lads in City spares will fit.

Thanks fir the input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Surprised there aren't more Metzler Roadtec 01 recommendations? They get great reviews.

I have them and like them but I have little experience. All I can say is that they feel better than the Bridgestones I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I haven't used the Metz for years, I do know that Bridgestones have very stiff sidewalls and Michelin are the polar opposite.

That may have a large bearing on the feel of the tyres for different people and machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I haven't used the Metz for years, I do know that Bridgestones have very stiff sidewalls and Michelin are the polar opposite.

That may have a large bearing on the feel of the tyres for different people and machines.

The tyres I had when i bought the bike had thread but just felt slippery. The Roadtec are 'sticky' in comparison. Maybe the Bridgestones were just old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Surprised there aren't more Metzler Roadtec 01 recommendations? They get great reviews.

I have them and like them but I have little experience. All I can say is that they feel better than the Bridgestones I had before.

I used Metzeler Roadtec Z8s before and they were unreal. I used them on track and they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm on the Pilots with my ER6-F.

They're amazing.

Using roadtec 01s at the mo.

Advertisement