Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: The Story Of Fire Saga

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I watched it today as the rain howled down and I found it enjoyable, cheesy and had a grin on my face for a lot of it. I like Will Ferrell - he is a big old goof and his huge big odd face up close is hilarious all by itself. Rachel McAdams was brilliant. The Icelanders in their jumpers were all so endearing and dead pan. It is not a serious movie or an art piece but it is good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thought it was pretty good. Funny and the music was actually decent enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Little bit long, but quite amusing. Loved the medley of songs and the many cameos. Dan Stevens was great and the elves played a blinder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Jedward or Dustin in for any cameos?

No and I was surprised at that, none of them could be that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Very enjoyable , just a few big laughs but most scenes were humourous and pushed along the plot nicely . It would be interesting to see what Americans make of it .

The music was actually better than the Eurovision most years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I had very low expectations but actually enjoyed it.

I thought Dan Stevens was excellent. The comment
    about Mother Russia not being accepting of him
    felt poignant.

As a Eurovision fan,
    the semi final with some of the big 5 in it and how the scores were done
    made me mad but I loved the cameos from
    Alexander Rybak, Conchita etc.
    . The song a long was great!

Loved the Icelandic jumpers and Dan Stevens jacket at the party!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ah lads, the best Netflix movie I've seen so far. Probably too many in-jokes for someone who doesn't like the Eurovision, but if you do it is a really fun movie.

This one is going to have a 5/10 critic rating, and a 9/10 fan rating.

Sentimental in place, but without a cloying sentimentality. It's all gentle fun with some sharp edges in places. It's satire, but it isn't cruel towards its target - particularly the cameo song in the middle is just sweet rather than critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This was good fun, but definitely a half hour or so too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I liked how aggressive Olaf was about jaja ding dong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

wasnt great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just watched this having never even heard of it and thought it was great fun. Genuinely amusing, great musical numbers, and Dan Stevens is just phenomenal....totally steals the show.

If I had to complain, as much as I like Will Ferrell, he's a bit too classic Will Ferrell in this movie and it feels out of place a little too often when contrasted to the behavior of literally every other character.

But it's a good film with good heart. Probably the best Will Ferrell film in a long time actually. I didn't find it too long personally.

Thumbs up from me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well.... It wasn't terrible. I know that sounds like I'm damning it with fain praise but it could hve been another Holmes and Watson as someone said previously.

It didn't do anything you didn't expect: Intentionally dodgy accents (Brosnan veering from Cork to Iceland. sometimes within the same word - don't know if that was intentional) and Ferrell doing his usual man-child thing.

I didn't laugh a lot but I smiled a bit at it. It was obviously done with its heart in the right place and with good attention to detail (The songs were 100% Eurovision). As expected, Dan Stevens steals the show with a surprisingly heartfelt turn at times
    No, no. There are none in Russia. This is a known fact

I mean, yeah, it's not going to change the world but it's not going to end it either (Which was a possibility :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I went in with low expectation, as some others, but it is actually decent. I had a fear that Ferrell would just way over the top on the campness of the Eurovision, but in fairness he didn't go for the easy shots. I mean it is hard to take the p*ss on the Eurovision as it is so over the top already.

It has a nice bit of heart to it and felt like the writers like the Eurovision rather than scoffing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Watched it last night (along with half the population going by Facebook). I really enjoyed it and I am not a massive Will Ferrell fan. The songs were really good. My god Husavik is an outstanding song. Reminded me of Never Enough from The Greatest Showman.

One line that I was in hysterics at was when
    The boat blew up and Sigrit said "The elves have gone too far"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I think when people talk about movies with heart this is what they mean. Loads of flaws and completely stupid but I was grinning ear to ear at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

This started really well and was very funny for me until they arrived in Edinburgh, specifically from that very strange scene of the two sitting on a park bench and filmed from behind. After that it was more an odd chuckle film.

Ferrell was good but Rachel McAdams was fantastic. She really elevated what could have been a two-dimensional character to someone real. She's a really talented actress, possibly cursed by her stunning looks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

play ja ja ding dong :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Pretty terrible and a bit long but I still enjoyed it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Thought it was so feel good. But the funniest parody of eurovision was the swedish presenters 4 years ago.

The song was fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Half an hour too long and too many penis jokes but still funny enough. The best part was when the wee door on the hillside slammed shut!

• Advertisement

Fave bit was Rybak's appearance. The crossover was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Fave bit was Rybak's appearance. The crossover was epic.

I actually completely missed him the first time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Thought it was so feel good. But the funniest parody of eurovision was the swedish presenters 4 years ago.

The song was fire.

Love Love Peace Peace?

I just found out it's on Spotify!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just finished this. The "wheel incident", as another poster called it, literally had tears rolling down my cheeks. Overall it was funny. Fantastically funny. Also at the end I was ranting (possibly owing to the beers I have drank) they better put a tricolour with Graham Norton....and they did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The aggressive, pined over primadonna doesn't work all that well these days but that being said I enjoyed the film for the novelty.

So nice to hear Salvador again. What a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Thought it was refreshingly brilliant myself and as many have said Dan Stevens was excellent!

I really wish Volcano Man wasn't so short!Absolutely love that song!

Some seriously great music in it for me!

The best thing Netflix have ever done for me along with the The Lonely Island Presents: The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience which I found fantastic as well!

Really think the song 'Husavik' should have a good shout of at least a nomination for Best Song at the Oscars.Would be a worthy winner if it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched it on my own, I've been singing jaja ding dong for days and the missus is just like "what the f**k is wrong with you"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Watched it on my own, I've been singing jaja ding dong for days and the missus is just like "what the f**k is wrong with you"

Easily the best song in it! :):)

It's funny tho the amount of people who think the eurovision isn't self-aware and if this is unique in taking the piss out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Loved this movie, just what the doctor ordered with all the miserable news around! Good songs in the soundtrack also - the Icelandic song Husavik, Demo Lovato’s - ‘In the Mirror’.

Advertisement