Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rospa Test

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Congrats Lenny, no small feat;)
    Describe the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Well done Lenny, what's your overall biking experience and did you find much specific prep to get ready for the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

How did you train for this with lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

How did you train for this with lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

backround - 20 + years riding, ex racer, lots and lots of commuting in all weather and previous training. Took a break from riding for a year or so, came back. Started volunteering with blood bikes, they like their riders to have ROSPA, so did an assessment, the guy reckoned I was well able for the test, applied and did it last week. The test itself, was a couple of questions about POWDERS, and then following a route that the examiner told me, he followed, watching my use of the system (IPSGA) , and then gave me the feedback.

Being a blood biker, i was out and about during the covid lock down on essential runs, was able to train when on the bike (although, to be fair, I didnt do that much training), but have spent 20 yrs riding and building on my safety skills.

Anyone thinking of doing it should look at getting an assessment done, and work on whatever feedback you get. It's a nice thing to have, and saves a few quid on insurance apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Congratulations, @lennymc. Your insurance premium should go down at the next renewal. When I went from Bronze (I did too many lifesavers!) to Gold a few months later I saw my premium drop again, though the biggest difference was getting the first result. It definitely keeps you engaged and learning if you don’t get Gold straight away. :)

Anyone looking for tuition for the test, consider joining RoSPA IART. They have helped me all the way. It is all volunteer and the membership costs €25/year only. A good few Blood Bikers there, otherwise a mix of everyone from Mondello racers to casual riders, even a few healthcare professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Must look into doing some training next year and who knows I might start eyeballing the rospa down the line.
    Ps: do you actually get a medal and are ye wearing it round yer neck all the time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

Where are IART based, are they predominantly Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

lennymc wrote: »
    did the test, got a silver. 'my lifesavers could have been earlier, but i'm well on the way to gold' was the main feedback. happy days.
    if anyone haas any questions, ill do my best to answer them

Well done Lenny! Did you get extra training or did you do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i looked at IART, but they werent taking new members during the lock down as far as I could see.

No medal h_lime, unfortunately. I love medals.

Some extra training, but mostly 20 yrs riding and practicing the safe stuff (quiet h_lime, the gap back in the day doesn't count), reading books like the police riders handbook, understanding what the bike is doing, and lots and lots of miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ratracer wrote: »
    Where are IART based, are they predominantly Dublin?

There's a very good group in Munster - Munster Advanced Riders - https://munsterriders.ie/

There are also individual trainers around the country that bring people to RoSPA standard - e.g. Rob McGrath of West Coast Motorcycle Training in Galway http://westcoastmotorcycletraining.com/

Mo Garvey in Clare I think does it as well: https://www.motorcyclelessons.ie/

A quick Google RoSPA trainers Ireland showed up others in different places. The RoSPA test itself you apply directly to RoSPA for once training is done.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement