Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was the length of the secondary post-grad diploma extended?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

When I was in my first year of teaching my own 22 hours, I was able to put my time to good use preparing resources for my classes rather than writing tedious lesson plans that took longer to write than it did to teach the class, and even more waffly reflections.

The people in your staffroom will provide more real world support in 5 minutes if you have a problem because they know the kids and have the experience than a university lecturer who comes out to see you once or twice and has to find something to criticise in your lesson, otherwise they have nothing to talk about. Same for the tutor who is not out teaching, they are lecturing on campus or whatever. Not saying they can't provide any support, but what you get in your staffroom will always be more meaningful. The same lecturers often have spent little or no time in the classroom themselves.

I completely agree that the support you get in the staff room will always be better than anything you get from University. But in my personal experience I'm glad that I had the two years, I felt more prepared coming out of it. I managed to get a full time CID job straight away, so I'm also glad to have had the experience in two other schools.

I'm sure many feel ready at the end of year 1, personally I did not though and was glad of the additional year.

Regarding the lesson plans, in UCD when I done the PME they didn't require them to be submitted in 1st year and in 2nd year they weren't required at all. So they did not take any time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Rather than berating, consider this...

Done is for recent past and usually it is preceded by 'have' ... Always think of 'I have just done it' which is shortened to 'I have done it'.

Use 'did' if it happened a while ago.

Our principal regularly gets complaints from parents when they spot incorrect grammar/spelling in school reports. So we're encouraged to look at each others when entering our own.

Anyway..

Advertisement