Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

12-03-2020, 14:15   #1
spurious
Category Moderator

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

OK, we will try this again.

This thread is ONLY to be used for queries regarding closures, or to share information on methods of 'remote working' etc.

There are already schools that were closed last week, does anyone know how are they managing, what are they doing, what is working, what isn't etc, are there any lessons that they have learned that can be shared?

If anyone knows of specific actual GDPR issues, please post them here too.

We have lots of expertise on here regarding different ways of using IT to help in situations like this, please let the thread develop on those lines.

It is NOT for
  1. moaning about teacher's wages
  2. moaning about teacher's holidays
  3. moaning about teachers in general
  4. moaning about having to use our own IT equipment - I know, along with many other things, teachers should not have to fund these, but we do and it's not going to change before tomorrow, so however valid, that is an argument for another day.

Please keep posts helpful.
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 17:55   #2
TheValeyard

I've a feeling the amount of teachers using the learning programs, that they will probably come under some strain
12-03-2020, 17:59   #3
Bobtheman

Personally I think teachers should stick to using school emails . Student school email.
I'd be wary of using video or Skype because that can end up being manipulated. Screen shots et
Perhaps goggle classroom but to be honest I ain't that familiar with it.
Hopefully can locate it on my Gmail. Work it from home
Thanks from:
12-03-2020, 18:20   #4
cmssjone

For people who have tablets with a stylus I would recommend explain everything. You can make and publish videos to Google classroom etc as well as import, annotate and send back homework.
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2020, 18:49   #5
mirrorwall14

iPads and iPhones have a screen record function (not sure whether androids do). You can have your slide showing or notes will let you draw on the screen. Then talk and record. You aren’t visible at all.

Steps
1. Turn on the screen record in settings->control centre->customise
2. Bring up the control panel by swiping
3. Hold down the new button (round circle) and tap on microphone off to turn it on
4. Then just tap start.

I use it a lot for recording maths videos but also useful for talking over PowerPoints

Last edited by mirrorwall14; 12-03-2020 at 22:01.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 19:15   #6
km79

I found today to be a confusing , scary and emotional day
I am absolutely mentally exhausted .
The constant sniping about “2 more weeks holidays “ from people I know has also worn me down . Nobody else is expecting to give up annual leave while they work from home but yet they think we should .

Going to watch a kids movie with my youngest and appreciate what I have .
Stay safe everyone .
12-03-2020, 19:18   #7
Motherof123

Does anyone have any info on home tuition for special needs I rang them and they said wait for an email.
12-03-2020, 19:21   #8
Postgrad10

It was one long tough day all right. The general consensus in local schools was using Microsoft teams to keep in contact and put up resources for all years.

I saw on twitter last night that an English department in a UK school each took a particular year group and made work booklets to suit topics they had done/were doing. These were made available to students in person and online. Good example of how teamwork actually works.

Last edited by Postgrad10; 12-03-2020 at 21:19.
12-03-2020, 21:17   #9
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
I found today to be a confusing , scary and emotional day
I am absolutely mentally exhausted .
The constant sniping about “2 more weeks holidays “ from people I know has also worn me down . Nobody else is expecting to give up annual leave while they work from home but yet they think we should .
[B][u]
Going to watch a kids movie with my youngest and appreciate what I have . [B][u]
Stay safe everyone .
That's the most sensible thing I've heard this month.

Although, I wound up playing Fortnite with them untill their friends told them to kick me out cos I wasn't good enough. So I went to plan my lessons for tomorrow. #sad_and_old

Think I'll just stick to email and keep the work minimal to start. A lot of the older students reckoned teachers' expectations of how much they could do were unreal. Essays and chapters being assigned left right and centre today... With more to follow.

Start small
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 21:27   #10
Cliona2012

Any idea how casual substitutes will be affected by the closure in the short and possible long run?
Thanks from:
12-03-2020, 21:29   #11
jimbobaloobob

Can I ask here what other teachers subbing do From tomorrow onwards? Do you have to visit social welfare office or can it be set up through MyGov.ie ?
12-03-2020, 21:35   #12
godtabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postgrad10 View Post
It was one long tough day all right. The general consensus in local schools was using Microsoft teams to keep in contact and put up resources for all years.

I saw on twitter last night that an English department in a UK school each took a particular year group and made work booklets to suit topics they had done/were doing. These were made available to students in person and online. Good example of how teamwork actually works.
Teams is very useful and I believe is free?`

We use it in work to share screens with people across Europe. Not sure how many people can go online but if lesson plans are available as powerpoints or something similar its very easy to share.
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2020, 22:32   #13
Alex86Eire

Are some schools open to staff still? We were told we had to out by 6pm and it would be closed to everyone for the two weeks.

Second question - if a child sends me a photo of an exam paper question he completed for example, is there any way I can correct and draw on his photo and send it back to him with comments? What would be the easiest way to do this?
We're using google classrooms. I have a chromebook and an iphone.
12-03-2020, 23:05   #14
jimbobaloobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86Eire View Post
Are some schools open to staff still? We were told we had to out by 6pm and it would be closed to everyone for the two weeks.

Second question - if a child sends me a photo of an exam paper question he completed for example, is there any way I can correct and draw on his photo and send it back to him with comments? What would be the easiest way to do this?

You could edit or scribe on it with PDF editing edition
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2020, 23:08   #15
mirrorwall14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86Eire View Post

On iphone (I'm a macbook/apple person so can't help with chromebook) you can either
1. Set up an assignment in google classroom and have the student upload their image there. You go to the assignment and click on the students name from the list. You will see their attachment. Tap on it. WHen loaded you will see a pen on the top right of the screen. Tapping that will open the editing screen and you can write on it. When finished just hit save and thats it. Google Classroom does the rest
2. Have the student email you the picture. Tap on the image. You will see a pen up on the top right that will allow you write on it. Hit done when finished and reply to the student

TBH I can't see any reason why step 1 wouldn't work on a chrome book if it has the google classroom app
(3) thanks from:
Thread Closed