Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify insect

Options
  • 11-04-2020 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Would anyone know what this little guy is - will need to zoom in but we're under attack from them, all covered in bites. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

caddy16 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Would anyone know what this little guy is - will need to zoom in but we're under attack from them, all covered in bites. Thanks!
    Attached

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Obviously very hard to tell from that photo but my guess is that it's a flea. Have you any pets?

Does it have wings or does it jump?

Obviously very hard to tell from that photo but my guess is that it's a flea. Have you any pets?

Does it have wings or does it jump?

No pets. Ya jumps alright. Presume flea but don't know where they could be coming from, bites on are mainly in lower legs. No long grass around house.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not a flea, definitely not. Wrong shape, size and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Are they st marks flies perhaps... though usually appear later in the month

• Advertisement

Are they st marks flies perhaps... though usually appear later in the month

They do look like them but after a quick search they don't seem to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Would the bite mark tell you more about what they might be?

Would the bite mark tell you more about what they might be?

Attached

Attached

I wonder if you looked them up against common bites or something would t give you any insight. Appears as if they are along seams and collars.

Just looking at Doctor google there op the shape of the insect you posted looks like a flea and the bites seem similar to theirs as well
    Might be worth sending the pics to your GP and get their professional opinion.
    Have do the insects travel?
    Would you be able to trap one?

• Advertisement

Appreciate the response. 90% of bites are around the ankles so I'm guessing they don't fly.
    Will do and will trap one next time. My wife saw the ones I posted and her camera isn't the best so I'll be on the look out today!

Leave a tray or a shallow dish of soapy water in the room tonight with a lamp over it so it's the only bright point in the room. See what's there in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

never heard that before, will they be attracted to the soapy water or light?

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

never heard that before, will they be attracted to the soapy water or light?

Lots of things move towards the light. If the water is soapy it means there's no surface tension so if they land on it they're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

even the likes of fleas & mites ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's still not a flea, though - the body is too dark, too long, too pointy, and with legs which are too short for a flea. It doesn't look remotely like this, to me:

https://www.fleabites.net/what-do-fleas-look-like-flea-pictures/

I'll keep looking. It's a shame Srameen isn't around or he'd be able to tell you in no time (and some of the other folks, too).

Leave a tray or a shallow dish of soapy water in the room tonight with a lamp over it so it's the only bright point in the room. See what's there in the morning.

Had one in the dish this morning.
    Clearer picture attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some kind of ladybird larva? They're known to bite.

100% not a flea, and 98% not a ladybird larva, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Had one in the dish this morning.
    Clearer picture attached.

Hi caddy16, put something in pic for scale so we can gauge the size of the creature.....

• Advertisement

If I'm correct, I don't think it's bigger than 4-5mm, if even that. I know I've seen them around before, I just can't think what they are.

Zoomed in picture snip here.

509527.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Best way to catch insects i found is to put a bowl of Apple Cider Vinegar in the room.

Could we see it from the side to get an idea of the legs? And maybe add something for scale if you can manage it too.

Hi caddy16, put something in pic for scale so we can gauge the size of the creature.....

Correct I'd say 3-4mm, I'll put something down for scale next time I capture one.

BTW the soapy water caught one last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Any chance it's a springtail?
    I know...legs don't look right and I can't see any antennae but the thin shape and the fact that it hops? But I don't think they bite.
    (I think I've just ruled out springtails!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is it a swift louse?
    http://members.home.nl/gierzwaluw/Dag-logboeken/Diary%20-%20Logbook%202007/June/gierzwaluwluisvlieg.htm
    Or louse fly:
    https://www.pestium.uk/bedbugs-bites-stings-and-itches/mosquitoes-and-flies/louse-flies/

"From the nests, the lice flies can sometimes stray into homes. This probably only happens if the birds, for some reason, leave the nest during the breeding season, or if the bird do not return to a nest in which louse flies are overwintering. Louse fly innovations happen in the months from April to August, mostly in June."

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Is it a swift louse?
    http://members.home.nl/gierzwaluw/Dag-logboeken/Diary%20-%20Logbook%202007/June/gierzwaluwluisvlieg.htm
    Or louse fly:
    https://www.pestium.uk/bedbugs-bites-stings-and-itches/mosquitoes-and-flies/louse-flies/

"From the nests, the lice flies can sometimes stray into homes. This probably only happens if the birds, for some reason, leave the nest during the breeding season, or if the bird do not return to a nest in which louse flies are overwintering. Louse fly innovations happen in the months from April to August, mostly in June."

Could be on to something here, definitely the right shape. Also I've an unused nest in the garage from last year. Have been cleaning out garage over the last week so that's what might have brought them into house.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Could be on to something here, definitely the right shape. Also I've an unused nest in the garage from last year. Have been cleaning out garage over the last week so that's what might have brought them into house.

Those Hippoboscidae are very flat and almost resemble a Tick. They move swiftly in a sideways/almost crablike motion, hard to catch them between your fingers.....

Ticks have 8 legs, though, and a round abdomen.

• Advertisement

This is the same type of bug, isn't it?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057923060

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement