Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike Air-vest.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Right, timely subject this: I went to a demo of, and got to try one, this a.m. - including of it being inflated.

Def something I'm going to think about now.

[EDIT] - video added, 9th March : Helite Turtle 2 Airbag Vest

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Well, after much tooing and frooing, the Chinese airvest finally arrived. :)

In fairness, the pandemic didn't help matters, and the supplier was more than helpful, sending out a second unit when the first one went waywards. The second one seemed to jump between the airport and dispatch for a long time, judging by the tracking information, then the supplier intervened and it got moving again.

So what is it like I hear you all ask? I've examined it, taken it apart and dry-fired it, so to speak. I'll upload a video of it inflating later on.

So far I'm impressed. I half expected it to be garbage, but it is well made and had no loose stitching, seams etc. It reminds me of the Richa florescent vest. It is made from 600D fabric, the same as that vest, and the Helite, so looks and feels pretty hard-wearing. It is made of webbing or mesh material on the inside, with a number of well stitched zippers to access the bladder. On one of the photos, I have taken out the bladder and laid it where you can see it, following the path it is positioned on the inside. The bladder is made from pretty thick, flexible rubbery tubing.

I've also blown it up manually and it's pretty much what you'd expect, an inflated tube that runs up, along, down, back up, along, down and around the body.

It is fastened across the front by three robust clips, and has webbing up the back and under the arms, so that it can expand when inflated.

The firing mechanism looks solid, and is fairly simple. A spring, a captive ball, and a firing pin. I've set it off without a gas canister, and it works. It also takes a fair tug to do so, so it would be hard to set off by getting off the bike. It's securely fastened using bolts, to the bladder. It says that it takes 60lbs of pressure to set it off, which is the same as the Helite. I certainly felt a good tug when I got off the bike with it attached, and it didn't fire. It would be difficult to set it off by accident.

So, think of a Richa vest (which are €60 anyway) with the added bonus of an airbag.
    https://www.richa.eu/en/sleeveless-safety-jacket

I don't particularly like the cord that attaches to the bike. It is steel wire, with a clip and a curly bit to give a bit of adjustment. But this can be replaced with a fabric cord and clip, which are available separably. Or can be made from a bodyboard/surf lanyard etc. Not a biggie.

Is it as good as a Helite turtle or turtle 2? Probably not, but at a fraction of the price it certainly has a role to play. It cost €82 delivered, while the turtle2 is upwards of €500.

I haven't seen a helite or hit-air in the flesh, but on videos, it looks like they cover the lower body/arse better, and the bladder is in a more enclosed pathway. In the Chinese one, the bladder is not as enclosed, but can't move around in any case.

On that note, it looks like the Richa, in that it is fully across the front and back of the body, so it will restrict airflow if you have a mesh or vented summer jacket. The helite looks more tube-like so would possibly be cooler.

The gas canister was bought from a marine supplier (CH Marine) for €12. It's a standard 33g one.

I've ordered a second one for my wife.

And to address the idea that I wouldn't buy a Chinese helmet, that is correct, but the only thing below my helmet is my thick head. Under this is my Revit jacket,with CE2 body armour and back protector. Hence, I think of this as an added protection rather than an essential. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but I'd say it would fulfill the role of an air cushion between me and a hard object pretty well.

So, to sum up. If you have to money to get a helite, or hit-air, absolutely buy one. If you don't, but want to get something that is good value for money, and adds a bit more safety to your ride, then this is worthwhile. At the least it is a good hard wearing florescent vest.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976637823.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_4093388.subject_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Great review. Thanks for sharing. The fact you said you've bought a second one is very reassuring.

Great review. Thanks for sharing. The fact you said you've bought a second one is very reassuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Thread regarding this vest started here :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114312191#post114312191

Maybe merge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

I'm due a new jacket soon and was looking at the helite airbag jacket.

Could incorporate the air vest and the jacket together instead of buying the two separately.

Anyone have any experience with these type of jacket..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

stratowide wrote: »
    I'm due a new jacket soon and was looking at the helite airbag jacket.

Could incorporate the air vest and the jacket together instead of buying the two separately.

Anyone have any experience with these type of jacket..?

Don't incorporate together best kept separate in case jacket needs swapping. You can continue on with separate vest in any jacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have the Helite Turtle vest 2, dont get the 1st edition the 2nd version is alot better.

So being a tight @rse and not wanting to pay top dollar for an airvest but also skeptical enough not to buy the aliexpress ones, I eventually found a couple of video of the Chinese and Thai air vests, they did not inspire confidence, in some of the vids they were noticeably slow to inflate, sometimes 1+ seconds, didn't inflate fully or didn't inflate at all. While i was down the rabbit hole I found a vest that ticked most of my boxes, price, cosmetics, coverage and firing speed, I've held off on pulling the trigger until now and just received the Bering C protect.

So for those of you who are a bit tight like me or want the best bang for their buck at least, it was less than 350 with a 10% discount, it seems to be available through the usual continental sites FCmoto etc. I got mine on motocard. Shop around though as 370 was the standard but there's definitely cheaper than this if you look. I've just tried it on and it fits perfectly over my current gear. Review videos show the firing time is very impressive and is in line with all the usual suspects. The gilet or vest itself is made from a softshell, I'd have preferred something with more abrasion resistance but my jacket has that anyway so felt this was as close as I'll get without spending twice the money.

I hope it gives an extra option to anyone that's still on the fence and might be holding off because of the eye watering prices some vests sell for. Safety equipment shouldn't be that expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭H_Lime

zubair wrote: »
    So being a tight @rse and not wanting to pay top dollar for an airvest but also skeptical enough not to buy the aliexpress ones, I eventually found a couple of video of the Chinese and Thai air vests, they did not inspire confidence, in some of the vids they were noticeably slow to inflate, sometimes 1+ seconds, didn't inflate fully or didn't inflate at all. While i was down the rabbit hole I found a vest that ticked most of my boxes, price, cosmetics, coverage and firing speed, I've held off on pulling the trigger until now and just received the Bering C protect.

So for those of you who are a bit tight like me or want the best bang for their buck at least, it was less than 350 with a 10% discount, it seems to be available through the usual continental sites FCmoto etc. I got mine on motocard. Shop around though as 370 was the standard but there's definitely cheaper than this if you look. I've just tried it on and it fits perfectly over my current gear. Review videos show the firing time is very impressive and is in line with all the usual suspects. The gilet or vest itself is made from a softshell, I'd have preferred something with more abrasion resistance but my jacket has that anyway so felt this was as close as I'll get without spending twice the money.

I hope it gives an extra option to anyone that's still on the fence and might be holding off because of the eye watering prices some vests sell for. Safety equipment shouldn't be that expensive.

Seems you might have found a happy middle ground there Zube. That's financially achievable for me unlike the software and battery operated jobbies.
    It's tig welder money but that might have to wait now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I shelled out for the Astars vest a while back. Due to unforseen circumstances I'm currently a long way from my machine but I was happy with it in general. Completely understand the price issue tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

If you don't mind wearing a melted welly there's a v affordable tethered version, only €170 found here: https://www.motea.com/en/airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

If you think the black is bad then see the yellow, its like wearing a life jacket !! I've tried in insert the image here, but it's on the link anyway.

airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

Betsy Og wrote: »
    If you don't mind wearing a melted welly there's a v affordable tethered version, only €170 found here: https://www.motea.com/en/airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

If you think the black is bad then see the yellow, its like wearing a life jacket !! I've tried in insert the image here, but it's on the link anyway.

airbag-vest-for-husqvarna-norden-901-xgp-va8-protection-black-size-l-a044643-0

Looks very like the Helite Betsy. If it is then it's much less obvious than you think. A lad in work had one.

Spent half the day on this, conclusions;

Splits into

1) tethered (all external); Helite Turtle c€400, Husqvarna €170 (CE certified), Merlin, Bering C-Protect

2) vests underneath (none tethered); Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5, Ixon IX-Airbag U03 Airbag Vest (subscription)

3) own tech (i.e. sensors not subscription) Helite-e (external) €690, Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5

4) Subscribed tech - RST, Furygan, Ixon, Held e-Vest etc., most using In & Box (120 p.a., or €12p.m. or €400 up front, or buy out for €99 after 3 years) - that's all on top of the €500 or whatever to buy the vest/jacket (some of which are specially made for a particular airbag).

5) extortionate cost and hassle post deployment - Dainese send back & €300, Alpine Stars - same.

All I wanted was an own tech vest to wear under a jacket, easy recharge. Could I find it?, No.

Closest is Heilte-e, but not meant to be worn underneath (on some Turtles it says could be under but recommend external) - probably be fine if enough room in jacket (&, if relevant, tether can work around), €30 to do a test run - price of cartridge - & hope doesnt pop jacket!

What will I do?, might buy the melted welly (Husqvarna), pop a high viz over it (to hide my shame) and see how it goes. Have an old textile jacket with bits of armour on shoulder etc (look of it prob doesn't matter if welly & high vis on). Don't like the subscriber thing, or integrated in a particular jacket (what if want to change jacket).

Only that I fell in love with the RST adventure jacket (part white, no need of high vis with it) €321 (€535 + subscription for airbag version) I'd go Helite turtle, or if I was feeling good to myself, Helite-e for more dependable deployment & no tether faffing. As mentioned I might consider putting a Helite under it. As I'm on - helmet - looking at AGV K5-2 c€250, I know flip probably more the adventure style, but can't break the bank at every side, seems a good make, even if at the mid/lower end of their range.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Spent half the day on this, conclusions;

Splits into

1) tethered (all external); Helite Turtle c€400, Husqvarna €170 (CE certified), Merlin, Bering C-Protect

2) vests underneath (none tethered); Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5, Ixon IX-Airbag U03 Airbag Vest (subscription)

3) own tech (i.e. sensors not subscription) Helite-e (external) €690, Dainese Smart D Air Airbag Vest, Alpine Stars Tech Air 5

4) Subscribed tech - RST, Furygan, Ixon, Held e-Vest etc., most using In & Box (120 p.a., or €12p.m. or €400 up front, or buy out for €99 after 3 years) - that's all on top of the €500 or whatever to buy the vest/jacket (some of which are specially made for a particular airbag).

5) extortionate cost and hassle post deployment - Dainese send back & €300, Alpine Stars - same.

All I wanted was an own tech vest to wear under a jacket, easy recharge. Could I find it?, No.

Closest is Heilte-e, but not meant to be worn underneath (on some Turtles it says could be under but recommend external) - probably be fine if enough room in jacket (&, if relevant, tether can work around), €30 to do a test run - price of cartridge - & hope doesnt pop jacket!

What will I do?, might buy the melted welly (Husqvarna), pop a high viz over it (to hide my shame) and see how it goes. Have an old textile jacket with bits of armour on shoulder etc (look of it prob doesn't matter if welly & high vis on). Don't like the subscriber thing, or integrated in a particular jacket (what if want to change jacket).

Only that I fell in love with the RST adventure jacket (part white, no need of high vis with it) €321 (€535 + subscription for airbag version) I'd go Helite turtle, or if I was feeling good to myself, Helite-e for more dependable deployment & no tether faffing. As mentioned I might consider putting a Helite under it. As I'm on - helmet - looking at AGV K5-2 c€250, I know flip probably more the adventure style, but can't break the bank at every side, seems a good make, even if at the mid/lower end of their range.

If you're interested in the 'melted welly' try one. You might be surprised how unobtrusive it really is.
    Equally the Helite. Like I say I bought the astars and was happy enough with it. But having seen the Helite tethered one in person after it I was impressed also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Spend the money on a good helmet first, then boots, gloves, then pants, jacket, armour. Only then worry about airvest.

(If you have all that, disregard everything I said)

But this is worth a watch. Learnt a few things.

https://youtu.be/rmWQKoN6yX0

Air vest definitely last. Just upgrade your back protector in your jacket or get a stand alone one with more coverage, much cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd seen that youtube vid alright, it is good. Like ye are saying I'll get the rest of it sorted first. Have jacket, pants, wrecked Motocross style boots (Berik), so they're safe (nearly to knee) and pants covers them, but definitely 'early doors' upgrade for comfort. Helmet and gloves with slider pads are first up, should get/order today from lads buying bike from.

Think I'll buy the Husqvarna airvest for starters. cheap as chips, should do the job if ... God forbid..., will post an 'unboxing' vid :p, won't be wasted as even if I upgrade, it'll do me for when training for young fella at lowish speeds (give him the good one!). If all going well, and over time, I think I'd build up to Helite e-turtle 2 - an article in Ride (will post photos of it) says can wear under as well (I guess have it bought before getting "good jacket" so get sizes right). Just to note on that Helite e-Turtle, you can get a fork sensor (for stationary hits), for another €133 - you're then up to €800!:eek: which I know is the price of many bikes!! The high vis costs about €30 more but as well off go black & stick a (loose) high vis over it, easier keep clean.

Anyway, I better shut up, can you get banned for boring the arse off people??:D

That article is attached as 2 jpegs

"Betsy wrote:
    Anyway, I better shut up, can you get banned for boring the arse off people??:D

Yes :-|

• Advertisement

It may have taken months and months but it has arrived and doesn't look at all as bad as I thought it might (obv the photos on the website link above are what it looks like when inflated, and God knows be the last thing on anyone's mind in there's an inflation event)! Quality seems good, not flimsy.

When I get a chance I'll take a photo of it over jacket, where it would be less obvious again, but the attached photos give you a fair idea.

At €181 all in its spectacular value compared to the others. Assuming I get on ok with it I'll prob order one for the young fella (he's not on roads yet). Got it in black as easier keep looking middling (throwing a loose high viz over it anyway).

It has a hard backprotector on it, looks a bit on the small side compared to normal, but no doubt made to work with the inflation system. Would be better than nothing if forgot to click on etc.

Anyways, someone might find this useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think it's villa or westham.

Galway United ?

Farkin Come On ____ ___

It's a training top bought at Upton Park (....or the Boleyn Ground if you're a hipster....)

Advertisement