Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best SUV/Crossover to buy

• 16-04-2019 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

What is the best suv/crossover to buy for mainly for personal use and light amount of towing? No car suggestions please. Budget 3000-5000. Looking for something newer than 2008 preferably.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Toyota Rav, Honda CR-V and Ford Kuga IMO. You will just about scrape a 2008 one for that budget. All have 4wd versions I am looking myself and that is what I have narrowed it down to. Rav will do about 40-43 mpg when not towing , the CRV about 37-39 and the Kuga 39-42 from my research. All are legal to tow 200o kgs. If you are looking for a higher towing capacity the mpg starts to drastically fall towards 30 mpg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What are peoples thoughts on hyundai tucsons, santa fe's. Any other SUV's people would recommend? 2500-4000 price brackets. 2008 and newer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

farmer2018 wrote: »
    What is the best suv/crossover to buy for mainly for personal use and light amount of towing? No car suggestions please. Budget 3000-5000. Looking for something newer than 2008 preferably.

Just after selling my 2009 Tiguan AWD.
    Nice easy wee jeep to drive and run daily.

Herself is a Ford Kuga that does all the towing now. Much more comfortable, more spacious , more economical and actually tows better. Alas no 4Wd. My mechanic says it will be more reliable than any VW bit time will tell.

What are peoples thoughts on hyundai tucsons, santa fe's. Any other SUV's people would recommend? 2500-4000 price brackets. 2008 and newer.

Big thug is towing capacity. These are nice but light which restricts their towing numbers. It’s something to be aware of.

The only saloon I drove when looking for suv’s For myself was the Octavia Scout, I loved it but couldn’t get one in my price range.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Big thug is towing capacity. These are nice but light which restricts their towing numbers. It’s something to be aware of.

I don't want to be towing big weights. Just a small cattle trailer and somewhat economical.

I don't want to be towing big weights. Just a small cattle trailer and somewhat economical.

A small cattle trailer 8X5 with 3 400kg stores along with trailer weight and added car weight yourself, diesel and the cattle sticknis tipping two ton.
    You can take it that is a minimum towing capacity. The Touson us only a glorified car TC is 1.5Tom I think.

Kuga is grand but I had one with work and it started to wear tyres in the back an AWD version and it did not do a lot of towing. The independent suspension in them is not strong enough for towing

Best choices IMO is the RAV or Honda CRV. Honda tax is high and a bit heavier on diesel. I have a RAV 2010 myself 40 mpg and tucks of power in 2.2L engine

Slava Ukrainii

A small cattle trailer 8X5 with 3 400kg stores along with trailer weight and added car weight yourself, diesel and the cattle sticknis tipping two ton.
    You can take it that is a minimum towing capacity. The Touson us only a glorified car TC is 1.5Tom I think.

Kuga is grand but I had one with work and it started to wear tyres in the back an AWD version and it did not do a lot of towing. The independent suspension in them is not strong enough for towing

Best choices IMO is the RAV or Honda CRV. Honda tax is high and a bit heavier on diesel. I have a RAV 2010 myself 40 mpg and tucks of power in 2.2L engine

All crossovers are just glorified cars really, too light to tow anything of substance..

Recently did 2000km in France towing our 1500kg Caravan and the Kuga was faultless, at its leisure and not tiring considering the long days towing.

Yes I want something similar to a car just higher up and commercial tax. I currently have a 2005 passat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Anything to watch out for with the 2.2’s now?

• Advertisement

The santa fe's and kia sorrentos are reliable I am told.

mayota wrote: »

Have not got it long enough to know but so far so good.
    The santa fe's and kia sorrentos are reliable I am told.

But very heavy on fuel they are supposed to be in the early 30'sMPG

Slava Ukrainii

Are the Tuscons reliable?

Are the Tuscons reliable?

Nearly all Hyundai's are reliable. The better half had an IX35 seems reliable Tucson's are virtually similar just s little larger. They are a car as opposed to s crossover

Slava Ukrainii

Nearly all Hyundai's are reliable. The better half had an IX35 seems reliable Tucson's are virtually similar just s little larger. They are a car as opposed to s crossover

Would it be better to buy the 4wd version rather than the 2wd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I would, with the 4wd you can drive in 2wd and select 4wd when needed.
    With the 2wd you just grin and bear the bad conditions
    Each to their own

You have to go up to 2015 Tucson to get decent Towing capacity. The 2L CRDI version is legal to tow 2.2T. As far as I know the $WD on a lot of the SUV's kicks out when you hit about 40km/hour so its not like a low box. However most of these are well capable of towing the 2 ton limit. If you are looking at an SUV back around 2010 the CRV and Rav are the pick of them but the tax on the RAV's is cheaper

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Those skoda kodiaq look to have plenty of bulk, two litre engine

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Those skoda kodiaq look to have plenty of bulk, two litre engine

I saw an article on it. It has a light kerb weight sub two ton but can tow 2000kgs. However it is only out a short time so buying new may be the only option.

Most lads looking for a farming/commuting vehicle are looking back in the years. Like myself there is generally a newer car in the yard as well. Previously lads looked at Commercial as tax was very high on even a small jeep. However since 2010 there is a number of choices of vehicles capable of towing 2ton and giving moderate fuel performance with a low tax rate.

It a matter of listing your preferences and examining the different vehicles available.

In 4-5 years the choices will really open up as more of these vehicles hit the 8+ year mark

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

What are the Mitsubishi Outlanders like?

• Advertisement

Ger1987 wrote: »

I was just looking at these they are 4x4 and don't look like a bad vehicle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I saw an article on it. It has a light kerb weight sub two ton but can tow 2000kgs. However it is only out a short time so buying new may be the only option.

Most lads looking for a farming/commuting vehicle are looking back in the years. Like myself there is generally a newer car in the yard as well. Previously lads looked at Commercial as tax was very high on even a small jeep. However since 2010 there is a number of choices of vehicles capable of towing 2ton and giving moderate fuel performance with a low tax rate.

It a matter of listing your preferences and examining the different vehicles available.

In 4-5 years the choices will really open up as more of these vehicles hit the 8+ year mark

Apparently the new Isuzu D-Max’s with the 1.9 Diesel engine can tow 3500kg and 40 mpg possible when not towing - would seem like a great combination for towing/commuting. nice capital allowance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Post 2010 jeep grand cherokee should be on the menu too, completely different to what went before which admittedly was junk

2011 on have a fiat engine and a ZF transmission which are fitted in your BMW amongst others

Lot more of them in the North though

I am looking for something under a €4000 budget

I am looking for something under a €4000 budget

You will have to go/convert to Commercial unless 750 road tax is not an issue. You should be able to buy a seated 2008 RAV 4 or CRV with low milage for that money. Tax on them is 750 euro. A 2008 Kuga maybe tax is 570 euro. I would not be worried about 4WD unless you really need it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

Ger1987 wrote: »

I had a 2010 Outlander for about 2 years and it was grand. Mine was a 7 seater but obviously you can get them as commercials as well.

I bought it very cheap as there was an issue with the Turbo at the time (I ended up having to change the Turbo). The gearbox also went while I had it, but these things happen.

I used it for a bit of towing no problem. Mainly, pulling a horse box once a week. I use a Pajero now for towing instead and obviously, there's no comparison, but the Outlander did just fine too.

One thing I really liked about it (compared to a lot of the other "SUV"s) is that it is an actual 4X4 (Selectable - Not permanent). It's not going to pull you up Mount Everest, but if your faffing around in yards or fields occasionally, it can get you out of trouble.

Also, it wasn't bad on diesel if you didn't drive it too hard. I never measured it but I'd say generally it is half way between a saloon and a jeep so probably around the 40mpg mark. I certainly notice a big difference now with the Pajero being significantly worse.

Very comfortable car to drive. I do a lot of driving for work and always found it good. Also, best placed cup holder of any car I had before or since - Just right by your right hand off the steering wheel...!!!!

On the negative side, it's very old fashioned inside (if that bothers you). The gearbox did go, but I don't think that's a thing with them as these things just happen.

All in all, for the use that the OP was describing, I think it's a good fit.

For what it's worth, I also borrowed a friends Ssanyyong Rexton for a day once to pull the box and I was shocked at how utterly shoite it was. You'd need to rev it to the hole to move any bit at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

mayota wrote: »

The rav4 2.2d4d engine can have headgasket/overheating issues and if it does it can warp the head and block meaning you'll need a new engine. They can be thirsty enough too. These problems were more common on the 180bhp dcat engine but they can still occur in the 150bhp one as found in the rav4.

Get a well minded one and they can be alright though.

The 2.2 sante fé are also a bit of a minefield and can suffer injector, turbo and timing belt failure problems. Pretty heavy on diesel for their power output too.

Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The rav4 2.2d4d engine can have headgasket/overheating issues and if it does it can warp the head and block meaning you'll need a new engine. They can be thirsty enough too. These problems were more common on the 180bhp dcat engine but they can still occur in the 150bhp one as found in the rav4.

Get a well minded one and they can be alright though.

The 2.2 sante fé are also a bit of a minefield and can suffer injector, turbo and timing belt failure problems. Pretty heavy on diesel for their power output too.

The older RAV4 of that vintage is 135bhp and not nearly as much of a risk as the higher 150 or 180 D-CAT versions that were available in the UK

• Advertisement

Is there any of the higher towing capacity 4x4s achieving up in 40mpg normal driving?

Is there any of the higher towing capacity 4x4s achieving up in 40mpg normal driving?

Not in older Jeeps anyway. Some may go to 2.2T but that it. After that fuel economy falls through the floor.

Slava Ukrainii

2010 RAV's are not cheap, looking at 7k plus.

2010 RAV's are not cheap, looking at 7k plus.

Bought one last May 3010 108k miles 390 tax 2.2L, English import with service history and huge spec for 7K. Any of the SUV/crossover's are in that price bracket

You will but a VW Toureg a bit cheaper but it seems they give a few problems

Slava Ukrainii

You'll get near the 40mpg mark with a 2.0d-id Mitsubishi outlander. It's a vw 2.0tdi engine most likely the same or similar to a tiguan.

Outlanders are cheap to buy at the moment as well. 710 on the old tax system and 750 on emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Bought one last May 3010 108k miles 390 tax 2.2L, English import with service history and huge spec for 7K. Any of the SUV/crossover's are in that price bracket

You will but a VW Toureg a bit cheaper but it seems they give a few problems

A Mechanic friend of mine has a very bad name on all VWs.
    According to him they give a lot of problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Duckpluck

If you could get your hands on an all wheel drive Kia Sorento 2.2l. I’ve had one for years, has 7 seats (2 foldaway small ones at rear) and pull horse box no problem.

Duckpluck wrote: »
    If you could get your hands on an all wheel drive Kia Sorento 2.2l. I’ve had one for years, has 7 seats (2 foldaway small ones at rear) and pull horse box no problem.

I think the mog if the Sorrento's is mid 30's. Its a Hobson's choice, under 4k older jerp with higher tax. Most pre 2010 Jeeps capable of towing 2ton have tax up at 700/year or above. The exception is the first of the Kuga's but a clean example will cost around 5k for 2008 model. Again. It not quite as reliable as a RAV
    , CRV or Vitara. Tax on Kuga is still 520 think.

You will buy clean RAV 2008 for 3kish if you really look and 750 car tax.

Slava Ukrainii

Are the automatics any good?

What are the subaru foresters like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would you venture off road

Are the automatics any good?

What are the subaru foresters like?

Stay away from a diesel Subaru they're a ticking timebomb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

Subaru rectified the crankshaft issues in the new model diesel from late 2013 onward. One to buy in years to come. I wouldn't buy an older model. Petrols are bullet proof.

People's thoughts on the Landrover Freelanders?

People's thoughts on the Landrover Freelanders?

There's a reason they are cheap

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All. If a commercial jeep is priced at €11k plus VAT do you have to pay the full rate? in this case it would be 11 plus 23% vat = €13.5k or could you buy straight with a bank draft for €11k? i dont want to ring the dealer and confirm my stupidity!!! so i am trying to get some advice here first

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All. If a commercial jeep is priced at €11k plus VAT do you have to pay the full rate? in this case it would be 11 plus 23% vat = €13.5k or could you buy straight with a bank draft for €11k? i dont want to ring the dealer and confirm my stupidity!!! so i am trying to get some advice here first

You have to pay the full price. If you are vat registered you can claim the vat back. Passenger small jeeps can be as cheap as commercials as often there is little difference in road tax and and it an NCT rather than a CVRT

Slava Ukrainii

I am looking at possibly Hyundai IX35s and Toyota Rav4 under the €5500 budget 2008 plus. I would buy a passenger if the tax isn't too high. Any other recommendations?

I am looking at possibly Hyundai IX35s and Toyota Rav4 under the €5500 budget 2008 plus. I would buy a passenger if the tax isn't too high. Any other recommendations?

IX35 has a very low towing capacity. RAV 4 generally has to be 2.2L for 2ton towing capacity

Slava Ukrainii

No point buying anything at the minute. Prices will surely fall a good bit over the coming months so more options should come into budget.

A clean 2.0tdci 4wd kuga would be where I'd be heading.

Plenty of cheap 2 seat commercials about.
    From about 2012/13 onwards a 4 seater commercial is available.

Private passenger ones dropped from €570 tax to €390 from about 2012/13 onwards too.

No point buying anything at the minute. Prices will surely fall a good bit over the coming months so more options should come into budget.

A clean 2.0tdci 4wd kuga would be where I'd be heading.

Plenty of cheap 2 seat commercials about.
    From about 2012/13 onwards a 4 seater commercial is available.

Private passenger ones dropped from €570 tax to €390 from about 2012/13 onwards too.

Good point, the same with a majority of items being sold, there will be good value to be got.

Thoughts on 2010 2l diesel Tucson?

• Advertisement
Advertisement