Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Golden Eagle sighting

Options
  • 29-07-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I was in Inishowen at the weekend and was driving from Gleneely to Culdaff (an area where golden eagles have previously been reported - http://bit.ly/1bAYg8P. I was on the lookout for raptors as I always am when I'm in the area. A large bird flew across in front of us and landed on a fence post some distance away. As I pulled over I realised that I had forgotten my binoculars. The bird appeared lighter in colour than a buzzard, and larger, though it was very difficult to tell from that distance.

From a field a few hundred metres away four buzzards took flight and proceeded to soar off into the distance, and a few minutes later this bird flew from his perch and started also to soar before suddenly dive-bombing at huge speed another buzzard that had remained in the field. This buzzard fled very quickly and I soon lost sight of it.

The possible eagle then soared in a very buzzard-like manner to a great height before I lost sight of it. It seemed to have a more v-shaped profile than a buzzard as it soared, but without binoculars I couldn't identify it.

At the time I was 90% sure it was golden eagle (and as I've yet to actually see one I really wanted it to be) but now I have my doubts. Does the behaviour (dive-bombing other birds and soaring) sound more like an eagle or another buzzard?

Anyone thoughts would appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Buzzard colour is very variable

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Sounds more like a Buzzard to me. I saw a Buzzard dive-bombing two others earlier on today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Golden Eagle are huge compared to buzzard. You would have noticed a big size difference when the unknown bird mobbed the buzzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 matlock

Thanks for the input. I figured as much. I guess I'll know a golden eagle when I see one. It was more wishful thinking than anything else.

Still six buzzards at one time is something.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Even if it was a buzzard there's no harm reporting the siting on goldeneagle.ie, on the off chance it was an eagle they might be able to confirm it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

matlock wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I figured as much. I guess I'll know a golden eagle when I see one. It was more wishful thinking than anything else.

Still six buzzards at one time is something.
    There have been reports of White tailed eagles in Inishowen as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Could've been dominant buzzard moving others out of her territory
    Golden eagle to a buzzard is like a raven to a blackbird

Female goldie can weigh anything from 9-12 pounds or more
    A
    Buzzard female would be pushing 2lb3

Another thing to think of is people losing their falconry birds. A bennelis eagle is huge and can often go missing on falconers without a telemtry. A female redtail would be alot bigger than a female buzzard ad would definatly tackle a buzzard about. Female Harris would do te same.
    Falconry birds are lost all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

On the road today between donoughmore and tower in Cork, we spotted what we initially thought was a golden eagle, It was huge, with a wingspan at least 5-6 feet with the golden brown coloring as you would see in the pictures.

I have never heard of a golden eagle this far south.
    A friend of my brother has claimed in the past he has seen one...twice in inniscarra west cork (about 6k away) which I always though was something he made up.

I am obviously skeptical due to how far south we are, and it was not a red kite either. Any ideas ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

On the road today between donoughmore and tower in Cork, we spotted what we initially thought was a golden eagle, It was huge, with a wingspan at least 5-6 feet with the golden brown coloring as you would see in the pictures.

I have never heard of a golden eagle this far south.
    A friend of my brother has claimed in the past he has seen one...twice in inniscarra west cork (about 6k away) which I always though was something he made up.

I am obviously skeptical due to how far south we are, and it was not a red kite either. Any ideas ?

To be honest it sounds like a Buzzard. Golden Eagle very unlikely based on their distribution and numbers. White-tailed eagle more likely based on distribution but description doesn't match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it was a white tailed sea eagle, it'd have had a lamb in its talons.

(joke, btw)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No harm reporting the sighting, if it was one it might have been tagged so they will be able to confirm.

To be honest it sounds like a Buzzard. Golden Eagle very unlikely based on their distribution and numbers. White-tailed eagle more likely based on distribution but description doesn't match.

actually was very like a white tailed sea eagle, but without the white tail

Whatever it was I know I am glad these beautiful creatures exist

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Whatever it was I know I am glad these beautiful creatures exist

I think it takes 'years' for the white tail to be evident, I'm guessing 4-6 years so that could be what you saw.....

I think it takes 'years' for the white tail to be evident, I'm guessing 4-6 years so that could be what you saw.....

never knew that....just reading they could have a wingspan from 5 foot up to 8.

Seems they live around large bodies of water, and whilst it was flying over the local river which is no more than a stream in summer, as said earlier it not far from inniscarra where the dam is.
    My only complaint was us being in the car and caught unaware none of us got a chance to get a pic ( we are all over 40 so we dont live with the phone in our hands :D)

on the subject of white tailed eagles in Ireland

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0626/1149863-sea-eagles-kerry/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not a release, that's a successful breeding which is better news.

that's not a release, that's a successful breeding which is better news.

well yes, but they were bred, and now released in to the wild.

regardless, as you say its great news

Advertisement