Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpaceX's Grasshopper VTVL takes a 40 meter hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Some images Musk released on Twitter. So close to the landing, but fins gave out at last minute.

7sUwcIK.jpg

kKCr4K4.jpg

qEsgfnw.jpg

LrwWSd5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

would love to see the videos

the 29th can't come fast enough

I don't think the fins are much help close to the pad, I think they do most of their work higher up where the speed is greater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Deeem, that's close.

Also, the explosion is awesome, can't stop watching the video :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Deeem, that's close.

Also, the explosion is awesome, can't stop watching the video :D
    It fairly chucked the top overboard eh?!
    One thing thats bothering me. It was coming down very fast and how much of this is due to the loss of steering?
    Because if it was doing that speed in an upright position it would have ended badly anyway.
    They've done this on dry land anyway so im confident for the next effort.
    We need more of this awesomeness!

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    One thing thats bothering me. It was coming down very fast and how much of this is due to the loss of steering?
    Because if it was doing that speed in an upright position it would have ended badly anyway.

It's like when you balance a brush handle on your hand, once you go beyond a certain point of it tipping it's gone. Combine that with engines that are still lit and it will accelerate in that direction. I think the speed was fine, just the tipping threw it. We'll see next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Does SpaceX user vernier engines for landing the first stage? It'd save them a lot of faffing around if not.

Now that i have looked at it again it does look like its coming towards the camera which would explain its high vertical speed.
    They better do the next one in daylight and with a handful of go-pros!

my guess is that when they lose the fins, the engine had to over compensate during the last burn

Does SpaceX user vernier engines for landing the first stage? It'd save them a lot of faffing around if not.

cold gas trusters AFAIK

• Advertisement

It certainly solves the mystery of the missing bits (well, most of the stage actually). If the hydraulics failed with a minute to go then that's fairly high up still. The gimball of the engine apparently wasn't enough to balance out the stage. My understanding is that only a very limited deviation from vertical can be controlled by gimballing engines without adding excessive horizontal velocity.

No need for them, would add far too much weight swell. They've shown with the grasshopper tests and CRS5 landing that they can get to a point without them. Not enough hydraulic fluid was the problem, once they have enough I'd be certain enough they'll land it (unless some unknown issue arises)

I was just thinking. The extra hydraulic fluid is going to weigh more. How would it compare to having a return line to the hydraulic pump and reuse a smaller amount of hydraulic fluid? Like a normal hydraulic system.
    Ok, this would require an in depth knowlege of the rocket to give a definite answer but still, there's some merit in that surely?
    And i know there would have to be extensive re-testing done. But it would mean the controls will stay working no matter what.
    Anyway, i had to ask. I dont like seeing machines breaking down!

I was just thinking. The extra hydraulic fluid is going to weigh more. How would it compare to having a return line to the hydraulic pump and reuse a smaller amount of hydraulic fluid? Like a normal hydraulic system.
    Ok, this would require an in depth knowlege of the rocket to give a definite answer but still, there's some merit in that surely?
    And i know there would have to be extensive re-testing done. But it would mean the controls will stay working no matter what.
    Anyway, i had to ask. I dont like seeing machines breaking down!

If you have a closed loop you need pumps which add weight and complexity. They use pressurised gas to pump the fluid out, seems to be a case of just adding more fluid (and more gas I guess)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have a closed loop you need pumps which add weight and complexity. They use pressurised gas to pump the fluid out, seems to be a case of just adding more fluid (and more gas I guess)
    Actually it's cleverer than that they reuse the fluid in the engines because it's fuel.

There's a lot to be said for using simple reliable systems even if they are slightly heavier. Complexity adds risk. And given the % of spaceflight failures shaving off too much weight on stage 1 is just asking for trouble.

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/7771/why-does-the-falcon-9-consume-hydraulic-fluid
    Falcon 9 uses an open hydraulic system that has a separate tank of RP-1 (which is used as the hydraulic fluid) pressurized by Nitrogen near the interstage, which, after use, drains down back into the main RP-1 tank for "reuse" by the engines. There are a variety of reasons that SpaceX made decisions to use this design:

I must humbly hang my head in shame for not thinking of that...
    D'oh!

Complexity adds risk.

Exactly. So don't use more pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is it supposed to land on the barge horizontal or vertical.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is it supposed to land on the barge horizontal or vertical.

Vertical. Wouldnt want to be much swell in the sea when it lands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

Google and Fidelity Investments have bought just shy of 10% of SpaceX, plan to pump money into helping it develop Satellite Internet for undeveloped/underserved regions around the world or in Musks case, beginnings of Internet for Mars Colony.

Values SpaceX at 10 Bil Dollars.

Valuations be crazy.

What would be a good name? Hmm, Trans Net?

gigaom.com/2015/01/19/elon-musks-satellite-plan-project-loon-without-helium-or-latency/

bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-20/musk-s-spacex-sells-10-stake-to-google-fidelity-for-1-billion.html?hootPostID=e032d9a22131660ad2c3ecfaa1639a46

• Advertisement

can't wait to see this badboy fly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_Climate_Observatory

possible spaceX launch tonight, just after 11

they will also try first stage recovery again but it will be harder than the ISS missions, so who knows if it will work

you can watch it at http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

Tomorrow so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Now happening at 10:45pm tonight (live webcast).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

now showing live feed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

No go? :(

high altitude winds so tune in again tomorrow at 23:00

aaand it's a scrub - 151% violation of high altitude winds if I heard the comms right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Looks like they won't be attempting recovery of the first stage using the drone ship due to weather in the Atlantic. :(

There'll be a soft landing in the water instead.

http://www.spacex.com/press/2015/02/11/dscovr-launch-update

• Advertisement

falcon 9 first stage on the road to the cape, might be for CRS 6

Advertisement