Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logistics and Supply Chain Management courses

Options
  • 13-09-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭

Hi

I’m thinking of doing an evening or part time course in Supply chain management. The main organisations I can see who deal with this on a certificate or diploma level is CILT (the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport) and CMI Ireland (Communications and Management Institute).

I'm working for a well known freight forwarder for eight years and want to increase my prospects for progression in all areas of supply chain, so I’m very interested in aspects of purchasing, procurement, inventory and materials managements as well as logistics / freight forwarding etc.

Does anyone know which one would be more beneficial to me or if there are any others that are more recognised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

D-FENS wrote: »
    Hi

I’m thinking of doing an evening or part time course in Supply chain management. The main organisations I can see who deal with this on a certificate or diploma level is CILT (the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport) and CMI Ireland (Communications and Management Institute).

I'm working for a well known freight forwarder for eight years and want to increase my prospects for progression in all areas of supply chain, so I’m very interested in aspects of purchasing, procurement, inventory and materials managements as well as logistics / freight forwarding etc.

Does anyone know which one would be more beneficial to me or if there are any others that are more recognised?

Hi

I am thinking of doing the course in logistics in CILT. The diploma hopefully.
    Did you find out any information on it?
    Whether its any good? Job prospects etc

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

lstevo wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of doing the course in logistics in CILT. The diploma hopefully.
    Did you find out any information on it?
    Whether its any good? Job prospects etc

Regards

Sent you a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

I'm currently doing a part-time masters in DIT in Supply Chain Management (run by the National Institute of Transport and Logistics). The part-time course is mainly undertaken by people currently working in industry and is really really flexible as you pick and choose the modules you want to do. Most people take 2-3 years to complete it.

I'm nearly finished myself and would completely recommend it although it is expensive enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

robot7080 wrote: »
    I'm currently doing a part-time masters in DIT in Supply Chain Management (run by the National Institute of Transport and Logistics). The part-time course is mainly undertaken by people currently working in industry and is really really flexible as you pick and choose the modules you want to do. Most people take 2-3 years to complete it.

I'm nearly finished myself and would completely recommend it although it is expensive enough!

What were the entry requirements with that? I'm currently doing a CILT UK level 3 cert through distance learning, but really unhappy with the provider and looking for other options once I'm finished the initial certificate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

_feedback_ wrote: »

What were the entry requirements with that? I'm currently doing a CILT UK level 3 cert through distance learning, but really unhappy with the provider and looking for other options once I'm finished the initial certificate...

Hi
    I'm not sure about the UK CILT program but I've done some enquiries as to where the Irish diploma in logistics and supply chain management from CILT can lead you.
    Here us what I found out...
    If you get a diploma from CILT in this course it could strengthen your chances if getting a place in the masters program but only if you also have exceptional experience such as distribution management or such.
    The degree from CILT might be a better option for someone who doesn't have much experience in this area for building a stronger case for getting into the Masters program.
    Although the degree from DIT is a science degree and the degree from CILT is bachelor if Arts if I'm not mistaken .
    It just looks as though the CILT program is really only suited to people already working in the industry.
    It might be a good idea to contact the people at the national institute of logistics in Ireland. I reckon they should answer any queries you have.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Could someone tell me which would be better CIPS or CILT as I can't decide between which course to do regarding Logistics and supply chain management
    http://www.cilt.ie/home.html
    http://www.cmi-ireland.com/purchasing-supply-courses-diploma

Would really appreciate some direction. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ludwigvans9

Hi All,
    I am in the same situation. I want to study for a Diploma in Supply Chain.
    I am mid30 professional, working with Sap, two languages over English and I would like to add to my studies a SCM Diploma.
    I want to switch my career path to the purchasing/Supply Chain side.
    I am currently working as Credit Controller, I can't afford to stop working and DIT would be too expensive ( the main issue is time consuming, the part time course has lessons on Friday too that I could not attend_/
    My question is:
    Is better a Diploma at CMI or at CILT? Or do you know any other Part time Diploma in Supply Chain on 1 year/2 basis in Dublin.
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Hi All,
    I am in the same situation. I want to study for a Diploma in Supply Chain.
    I am mid30 professional, working with Sap, two languages over English and I would like to add to my studies a SCM Diploma.
    I want to switch my career path to the purchasing/Supply Chain side.
    I am currently working as Credit Controller, I can't afford to stop working and DIT would be too expensive ( the main issue is time consuming, the part time course has lessons on Friday too that I could not attend_/
    My question is:
    Is better a Diploma at CMI or at CILT? Or do you know any other Part time Diploma in Supply Chain on 1 year/2 basis in Dublin.
    Thanks a mill

Hi there I have set the Diploma with the CILT and would diffidently recommended it. If you need any information on this PM me and I will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 leacy22

Hi there,

I'd just like to inform you of the most important difference between the diploma from CILT and CMI Ireland: CMI Ireland's diploma is recognized on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) whereas CILTs is not.

What does this mean?

Well if a qualification is not recognized on the NFQ its legitimacy is brought into question. Any course provider can throw together a course and offer their own certificate etc. but it does not mean anything academically. Always look out for the final qualification your getting from ANY course! It can be too easy to do a course you think is everything you want only to come out with a piece of paper that means nothing at the end of the day!

For that reason if your thinking of going with one or the other I would recommend CMI over CILT.

If you want to read up on the NFQ to confirm what i'm saying heres a handy link: http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/ their fan diagram breaks things down nicely!

Wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do!
    Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

Hi

Hey D-fens
    Did you end up doing the CMI course? I'm exactly the same scenario as you work in freight forwarding want to work in supply chain! Looking at a CMI course in purchasing/procurement now.
    Send me a pm if you want
    Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 zinxy911

Hey guys

I am also struggling to figure out which course is the best one to take. I have no experience in supply chain but want to move into this area. Can anyone help me out with some advice please? PM me if you want.

Thanks so much

The Zinx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

Hi ppl,

Considering this course and looking for people's opinions or experiences
    Any help would be great as I'm at a crossroads and feel I need to qualify myself for the future

Thanking you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SpecialK84

Hi All,

I'm a recent college graduate working in the transport industry. I am looking for the best online courses to undertake while in quarantine in relation to logistics or supply chain as an add on to my degree. I have noticed most companies look for SAP experience but there are so many online courses that its hard to know which one would suit best! Any advice much appreciated from anyone working in the logistics or supply chain industry!!

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

A course in the thread subject popped up on Facebook https://www.ciltskillnet.ie/training/higher-certificate-in-business-in-logistics-and-supply-chain-management-qqi-level-6/
    I'd be interested in this course even though I have non certified courses similar to it completed but I am wondering if the fees of €3800 subsidised (€5000 unsubsidised) are on the high side for a level 6 course.
    Any opinions folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Seems high for level 6 that doesn't seem to be accredited by an IT or TU. I did the Bachelor of Business in Supply Chain Management (level 7 ordinary bachelors degree) and graduated 2 years ago through IT Carlow. Classes are based in Griffith College each Saturday with online classes during the week and from what I can remember I don't think the fee's were that high, I'd recommend doing the 1 year Degree over a 2 year Higher Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

A course in the thread subject popped up on Facebook https://www.ciltskillnet.ie/training/higher-certificate-in-business-in-logistics-and-supply-chain-management-qqi-level-6/
    I'd be interested in this course even though I have non certified courses similar to it completed but I am wondering if the fees of €3800 subsidised (€5000 unsubsidised) are on the high side for a level 6 course.
    Any opinions folks?

I'm due to start my qqi level 6 in business logistics and supply chain management in September through CILT and it's around the same price, most I priced are pretty much the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2 magpie89

The Ciltskillnet and Cilt courses are the exact same. The level 6 higher certificate is accredited by IT Carlow and is 60 credits for year one and 60 credits for year two, giving the 120 credits needed.

Cilt then offer a level 7 add on year for the Bachelor of Business in Supply Chain Management. This is run in conjunction with IT Carlow and NMCI. It doesn't mention any credits online but I presume if it's advertised as a Bachelor Degree it is worth 60 credits.

I don't think the subsidised price is too bad. Definitely better than the full price. It's a course I am interested in as I work as a planner/buyer and think a qualification will benefit me moving forward.

Advertisement