Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2020/2021 - Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If we could play like that, on the front foot a lot more we could rattle a few in League One, but not always Curle's way and Morton will go back to West Brom unfortunately.

It'll be hard to stay in that League next season, some big clubs with big budgets. Won't worry about that now though!

Curle's first ever promotion after 18 years!

Cobblers!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wigan have gone in to administration.

Think theyre the first club since covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wonder will the points deduction be applied to them now, would make the relegation contest even more entertaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mushy wrote: »
    Wonder will the points deduction be applied to them now, would make the relegation contest even more entertaining

Gets applied at the end of the season if they finish outside the bottom three.

If they finish in the bottom three it carries over into next season in League 1.

So either ways it looks like relegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭This is it

And they were making a decent run to steer clear of relegation. You'd have to feel for the fans, employees and players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

If the club are relegated by on-field results, the sanction will be applied in League One next season. If the club stay outside of the bottom three, the sanction will be applied to the 2019-20 table.

is that a bit unfair on wigan? surely the rules are the rules? you shouldnt be able to pick and choose when/where you apply the penalty?

If the club are relegated by on-field results, the sanction will be applied in League One next season. If the club stay outside of the bottom three, the sanction will be applied to the 2019-20 table.

is that a bit unfair on wigan? surely the rules are the rules? you shouldnt be able to pick and choose when/where you apply the penalty?

It's to prevent what Leeds did over a decade ago. Relegation was confirmed so they went into administration at end of championship season(think points deduction was done then for entering administration). But it was done to avoid starting in league 1 with a points deduction, so quite sneaky.

Considering Wigans form, I wouldnt be surprised if they still stayed up after it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Mushy wrote: »
    It's to prevent what Leeds did over a decade ago. Relegation was confirmed so they went into administration at end of championship season(think points deduction was done then for entering administration). But it was done to avoid starting in league 1 with a points deduction, so quite sneaky.

Considering Wigans form, I wouldnt be surprised if they still stayed up after it all

didnt know that, sneaky indeed! will enjoy seeing them back in the PL next season though should they get promoted (they screwed my bet last night :mad:).

this is slightly different though. administration has been declared with promotion/relegation both still possible.

Portsmouth oxford draw 1-1

Cracking start to Fleetwood wycombe, 1-1 after 3 mins

Edit: wycombe retake the lead direct from a corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Twitter thread on Wigan. Wonder how true it is but there is a Rick Parry video stating there are rumours a big bet was placed in the Philippines on Wigan to be relegated this year.

Bet placed with KB88 (actually no evidence of this), Wigan's sponsor. KB88 has links to the past owner and now Chairman David Royle. The previous owner is a pro gambler with interests in the Philippines. Basically saying someone in the old/new ownership or close to it placed a large bet on them going down. New owner buys them and puts them in Administration within a week, 12 point deduction and now they'll be back in the relegation zone.

https://twitter.com/marksparko/status/1279000646335836163

It would need to be one hell of a bet to make it worth all of the above and whoever took the bet (if legitimate) would not release the money if they even have a sniff of some wrongdoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Saw that, looks pretty damning - the lawyers have been called in to have a look.

On the field Brentford might gatecrash the top two party - WBA and Leeds both looked comfortable but the former could be caught now. Be great to see a new name in the PL.

Oxford through to Wembley after beating Portsmouth on penalties. Will assume theyll play Wycombe after their hammering of Fleetwood on Friday

Wigan Warriors Rugby League team have put in a bid for Wigan Athletic.

Official investigation by football league, for all the good that'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭This is it

Wigan could stay up even with the points deduction the way they're going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Well he was leaving at the end of the season anyway but Pep Clotet getting moved on from Birmingham. Right decision, he didn't want to be there and the the way things are going Birmingham are heading for relegation. Just can't defend, have conceded 3 goals in each of the last 5 games at home. No player showing any signs of form. Craig Gardner getting a go at managing the team, wouldn't be surprised if he gets the job permanently.

Big game at the weekend against Stoke, a win for either would probably secure survival.

Fulham v Cardiff, Derby v Brentford, and Swansea v Leeds are huge games for the automatic promotion spot and the last playoff spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wigan Warriors Rugby League team have put in a bid for Wigan Athletic.

Who are owned by former Oxford owner and Football League Chairman Ian Lenagan.

Wycombe Wanderers are in the Championship and so is Adebayo Akinfenwa for the first time! :)

Who are owned by former Oxford owner and Football League Chairman Ian Lenagan.

Yeah I wouldn't be his biggest fan in the Rugby League World, left London high and dry to go to Wigan.

Incidentally I think everyone has owned Oxford at some point. Northampton's current owner did for a while. Chris Wilder managed them too, got them back into the league.
    Wycombe Wanderers are in the Championship and so is Adebayo Akinfenwa for the first time! :)

I like him, did well at the Cobblers twice, but the years are catching up with him/caught him so I don't see him getting much time on the pitch in the Championship. It'd be nice to see him play a few games at that level though.

Not a fan of Ainsworth, seen him throw a hissy fit a few times on the touchline over the years. Brilliant for Wycombe though, and nice to see a new face in the Championship. They, like Northampton can be quite, er, direct, might shake a few up with that style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah I wouldn't be his biggest fan in the Rugby League World, left London high and dry to go to Wigan.

Incidentally I think everyone has owned Oxford at some point. Northampton's current owner did for a while. Chris Wilder managed them too, got them back into the league.

I like him, did well at the Cobblers twice, but the years are catching up with him/caught him so I don't see him getting much time on the pitch in the Championship. It'd be nice to see him play a few games at that level though.

Not a fan of Ainsworth, seen him throw a hissy fit a few times on the touchline over the years. Brilliant for Wycombe though, and nice to see a new face in the Championship. They, like Northampton can be quite, er, direct, might shake a few up with that style.

What manager hasn't in fairness.

Something about Ainsworth bothers me though. The media go on about his loyalty and to be fair, he's been at Wycombe for a while.

But he's been touting himself out for the last couple of seasons. He doesn't even pretend in tv interviews about wanting to move up in clubs. He never rules himself out of jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the new Bristol City manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Come on Wigan!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

FitzShane wrote: »
    Come on Wigan!!
    I was shocked. Then I saw it was only HT! What the hell has happened to Hull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Come on Wigan!!

7-up at half-time, goal difference now 0, better than Derby's.

The lad that bet £50 million on them to go down will be livid:P

Is it actually £50m on them to go down? Jesus.

Really hope they can get out of the situation they are in.

Is it actually £50m on them to go down? Jesus.

I don't know, I just plucked a 'massive sum' out of thin air. Not sure I but the 'bet' story tbh, surely there must be more reliable ways of making a killing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'm sure you could find a Wigan v Hull Rugby league game with a lower half time score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭adaminho

Saw a mad Stat today that no team is guaranteed to be in the division next season! Everyone can either be promoted, relegated or stay in the division.

Derby's playoff chances all but gone. I thought they looked good for a spot up to two games ago.

Some result for Wigan, should stay up now even with a points deduction.

• Advertisement

Leeds really grinding this out

Akinfenwa will be a Championship player at 38 having signed a new deal - Premier League at 40. Make it happen!

Leeds to draw City in there first game next season so we can get Pep vs his hero Bielsa.

Leeds to draw City in there first game next season so we can get Pep vs his hero Bielsa.

Well they're up now anyway after fellow Yorkies Huddersfield pull out a shock win over West Brom

I'd love to see Brentford follow them up in the automatic place and start there premier league campaign in there shiny new stadium.

Brentford are my Championship side of interest for how they've done this. A business and analytics model that has paid off brilliantly if they go up.

• Advertisement

Barring West Brom winning 13 or 14 nill on Wednesday, a win and a draw will do Brentford. Be great to see them get 3 of those 4 points needed today against Stoke, leaving them only needing 1 against bottom side Barnsley

Has there been any update on the Wigan situation? As it stands, even if they got a 12 point deduction, they are staying up ( on GD)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Just looking at the Championship table and I think Brentford and Preston are the only two teams that haven’t played in the top flight in my time following English football (mid 70s onwards).

eigrod wrote: »
    Just looking at the Championship table and I think Brentford and Preston are the only two teams that haven’t played in the top flight in my time following English football (mid 70s onwards).

I go back to the mid 80s and I think I've seen everybody bar those two in the top flight too. Edit: except Bristol City

Is this largely why there's so much love for Brentford round here, a new face in the prem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I go back to the mid 80s and I think I've seen everybody bar those two in the top flight too. Is this largely why there's so much love for Brentford round here, a new face in the prem?

Possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Brentford blowing their chance as it stands. Fairly toothless in the second half. Stoke defending well.

That late goal conceded is a big blow to Wigan.

What a time for Brentford to stop scoring.

Need a favour from QPR now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What a time for Brentford to stop scoring.

Need a favour from QPR now.
    Hard to keep form in such a very intense calendar. I think West Brom will get it together for one game and get the points.

Barring something freakish in Notts Forest's last two games, the final playoff place in the Sky Bet Championship of England will be between Cardiff City and Swansea City:P

It feels like both would do well not to risk getting promotion - if either somehow got up they'd be relegated by Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

16 years means there's a generation of fans who have no opinion on Leeds. Unthinkable...

It's not a good statement for the standard that all three who went up last year are in the relegation fight and now "direct" teams like Wycombe and Rotherham are going up with the likes of Oxford, Doncaster and Peterborough staying down.

The Wycombe penalty "move" was Leinster Senior League level stuff.

4th time in the 9 years Birmingham have been in the Championship, we are going into the final day with relegation a possibility. Still have the odds with us, but we wont be picking up any points, as we have given up trying to defend, so very much dependent on Charlton and Luton both not winning or relying on a Wigan or Sheffield Wednesday points deduction. I pity the next manager of Birmingham having to work with this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That late goal conceded is a big blow to Wigan.

As a Charlton fan, it was massive. Wigan will need to at least win away to Fulham now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    4th time in the 9 years Birmingham have been in the Championship, we are going into the final day with relegation a possibility. Still have the odds with us, but we wont be picking up any points, as we have given up trying to defend, so very much dependent on Charlton and Luton both not winning or relying on a Wigan or Sheffield Wednesday points deduction. I pity the next manager of Birmingham having to work with this club.

Ye can't be caught, Wigan will be deducted 12 points to take them to 46. Which means Hull, Wigan and Barnsley can't catch ye

There's no way Wigan won't be deducted 12 points

• Advertisement
Advertisement