Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate Post

Options
  • 08-07-2020 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Using 6” tubular steel to hang 16’ gate. Dug hole with spade but find the gate is moving the post. Made the hole too big. Took up post with a ‘ton’ of concrete attached. How do I secure the post now?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

16' is a Big gate , takes a bit of hanging.
    What went wrong? Is it bending the 6'' post? Is the post moving within the concrete? Or is the post/ball of concrete moving within the ground?
    Had you ties welded on the post for grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Not deep enough. 2 and a half to 3ft needed assuming she's a yard gate. you need to fill your hole with natural field stones as you shovel in the mixed concrete around the post.
    6 inch round pipe might not cut the mustard with a 16 footer.

Hung 2 here last week on railway iron. the posts are pinging with them hung.but not a budge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Where did you get the railway iron? They're like gold dust around here.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Their in the ground over 20 years now.
    just took abit of time to get to stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Temtation

Post moving with concrete in da ground.
    Down 20” have another 6” to play with, suppose could weld on a few bars to root it into ground.
    No ties and don’t expect post to bend.
    If we get a fine day anytime soon, might have another go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

20 inch is far too shallow. As is 26.

36 minimum depth and 30 wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I got 7 or 8 x 8ft lengths on adverts a few years back. think I gave the lad €150 . he had go them while working on a greenway path

Them together with a boo steel bracket designed for them are a great job. I have a heavy 16ft hanging this way a few years but the railway track for that was 10ft . it was to long but easier to dig the hole than cut the track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Going hanging gates next week. 8*5 pillars at 3 ft below and 5 above. All 15ft gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Kellys back in Ballynacally are selling them in 7 or 8 ft lengths apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

I have to reset a gate post that was hung years ago. Can I lift the pillar with the concrete at the base and reset in a bigger deeper hole with more concrete? Just want to recycle the pillar but too lazy to remove concrete. The gate won’t be hanging from it but receiving it instead.

It’s crocked as it is and is annoying me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

rushvalley wrote: »

How much do u know , I’ve a good few of them I might shift on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I have to reset a gate post that was hung years ago. Can I lift the pillar with the concrete at the base and reset in a bigger deeper hole with more concrete? Just want to recycle the pillar but too lazy to remove concrete. The gate won’t be hanging from it but receiving it instead.

its difficult to set a pillar with concrete already around it. Now add in the weight and the massive holes you will need to dig

Easier to pull up and do it right

I've done just this. You might have to do a bit of cleaning the mud off the old lump of concrete and dig a bigger hole shaped right, but it can be done.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

rushvalley wrote: »

Great. Might give them a ring. I've dealt with them before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

if the pillar is railway iron you can hit the iron with a sledge and the vibrations will crack the concrete ( done it here ). dont know if it works on mild steel pillars

Advertisement