Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring new build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Wired all the way for me and conventional landline, there is enough EMF and then when 5G comes along... :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Josh.

I'm a spark myself not that it matters , the best convenience in my own place is to be able to walk round without turning on/off light switches when it's dark, whatever way you choose to do that, lot safer with kids and anyone inebriated, you might want a few flush pirs fitted in corridors, toilets

Other things already said , good speaker cable in the right locations

Cables where you may need them later garden , attic , and decent supply to shed

Exterior lighting around the house

Provision for smart controls, neutrals at light switches if needed

Decent mechanical extraction in bathrooms and kitchen

Provision for EV charging

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dubrov wrote: »
    Wireless is very good now so should be sufficient.

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Effects wrote: »
    Nah.

Wireless has moved on hugely. Speeds of 80Mb/s are no problem now.
    Range is still an issue for many but there are some pretty decent mesh solutions available.

In 20 years, I'd say wired will be dead as a dodo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Range is still an issue for many but there are some pretty decent mesh solutions available.

sure....:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

teednab-el wrote: »
    Could you not get a switch for all of that? Personally i think more than 2 x cat 6 at tv point is overkill. 2 should be plenty.

Nope, adding and extra component, taking up a power port, adding clutter. I'll do the job right and have a minimum of 4 ports in that part of the room when I finally get the finger out.

So many things can cause interference with a wireless signal that there is no way I'd recommend it be relied upon. As a new example (to me at least), I'm following a few chats over on AVForums based around some expensive new fangled wireless soundbar speaker setups. There are more than a few of those guys having issues with both their WLAN and the signal getting to their shiny new wireless speakers since their new purchases arrived.

There are also security implications with wireless, my infosec manger would love nothing more than to get rid of our corp wireless stating that Amazon don't allow it in their organisation (surprising if true but knowing him it most likely is) .

Interference could be an issue alright if you are planning to use a lot of devices.

In the security point, yes it is less secure than wired but once you have a wireless access point to the network at all, wiring after that point doesn't really make a difference. So either give up the wireless internet access on the laptop or accept the risk

Pretty much all devices use encrypted communication these days.

I dunno

Not an expert on this but wired is also simpler to setup as well as stable

I'd still be using a mix of wired and wireless

The mechanical extraction in the kitchen and bathrooms can be important

Roof vents and proper fans, the Micky Mouse 4"fans are useless

Plan the siting and wiring of the TVs so you're not messing about after

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

For whatever reason, wireless doesn't travel that well, corner to corner in my house.
    So I was able to add another wireless router downstairs, on one of the cat 6 cables I ran to a closet. Covers downstairs nicely.

I also stream from a NAS in my comms cab in the home office to the TV in the sitting room over Cat 6. I'd rather not have that over Wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

barrac wrote: »
    Lots of 5 amps in living areas and bedroom. Run a cable out to the garden shed. Also sockets on the kitchen island if you have one. I've learnt you can't have enough sockets in the kitchen.
    Sockets by the front door are handy for vacuuming the car!

A few external sockets can be useful also. I've one at back of garage, one at side of house (for cleaning car) and another elsewhere. Easier than running extension cables out windows etc. I use them most weekends.

You can also run power to sockets hidden in a press/drawer unit to hide devices as they charge. I didn't do this myself because I was concerned about chargers exploding and the like, but many have done it without issue.

Accent lighting plays a big part in interior design so spend some time thinking about this. Display presses, kitchen kicker-boards, wine-rack, pictures - all these can be enhanced with subtle lighting. You don't need to install anything except wiring for the moment.

One other thing to consider if you want good wireless throughout the house.
    Many of the good wireless access points are designed to go on the ceiling (see Ubiquiti).
    So you would need to run an ethernet cable to a ceiling point (preferably in the hallway).
    You can run them off wall ethernet connections but they won't perform as well or look as neat.

Advertisement