Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impartiality of auctioneers during land sales.

Options
  • 09-07-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

What are peoples thoughts on this?
    I'm watching 2 lads buying a small farm, house and yard. A is an honest to god type the other lad B is a pure tramp and has a track record for being awkward buying land where others are also buying.
    Sale has been held up over a "cock up" by the auctioneer but I'm thinking that B is colluding with the auctioneers because A bought some of the ground he wanted. He's hoping A might back out and he'd have the lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Same as farmers and rest of society.

Some will be straight down the line and some will be crooks.

You do hear people whinging a fair bit but it’s usually because they missed out on a sale to someone else, I doubt it’s always down to a crooked auctioneer every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Tell Farmer A to start farming the bit they "bought".

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

Tell Farmer A to start farming the bit they "bought".

Problem solved.

A has taken bales off it last year and first cut this year. But no slurry or bag stuff for second cut. Now it appears the auctioneer has included the same piece of ground in both sales (bit of a yard and lane). Whole thing held up and now B is talking about walking away or else a drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

A has taken bales off it last year and first cut this year. But no slurry or bag stuff for second cut. Now it appears the auctioneer has included the same piece of ground in both sales (bit of a yard and lane). Whole thing held up and now B is talking about walking away or else a drop in price.

Op are u the one selling the land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

That's a good one alright. It has been miss sold. Miss described. But you often see EA/auctioneer stating that they are not responsible for mistakes in description s. But a vendors solicitor cannot sell same 'bit' to two parties. Would be up to them I'd say. If land is in both contracts and are signed. Then vendors solicitor would be liable for smoothing it out. If only in one sale contract then someone might lose out.
    But I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Tileman wrote: »
    Op are u the one selling the land

No. It was sold by surviving relatives of the owner who is deceased with 2 years. Farmer A would be a a beneficiary of the sale in any case as he is a nephew of the owner. He was farming the whole thing with about 15 years. Probably paying some bit of rent on it.
    Farmer B has land adjoining it and has made it clear in no uncertain terms in the past that he would be buying it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Let me guess, farmer A's uncle died without making a will? You might be better off asking this in the legal forum, do you want me to transfer it there OP?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Let me guess, farmer A's uncle died without making a will? You might be better off asking this in the legal forum, do you want me to transfer it there OP?

No its not a legal type query. I have no idea about the previous owner or his legal affairs.Just yer man has a history of getting awkward after the deal has been done. In my mind its more than a coincidence that there's a hiccup now. The 2 fields that farmer A bought were roadside fields with access off the road. He had no interest in the lane or yard but somehow the auctioneer managed to put it onto a map.
    My father was telling me last night that back in his day that there could be some nasty carry on public auctions. Puffers he called them. Lads bidding with no intention of buying but rising prices to keep out certain lads or trying to bankrupt them. He was at an auction once where the auctioneer was rapidly taking fictitious bids from the back of the hall. 2 harmless lads only in as spectators. Was the talk of the place at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would be slow to trust any auctioneer, some of the younger one aren't to bad but some of the lads that are around awhile can some times be to clever for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

[quote
    My father was telling me last night that back in his day that there could be some nasty carry on public auctions. Puffers he called them. Lads bidding with no intention of buying but rising prices to keep out certain lads or trying to bankrupt them. He was at an auction once where the auctioneer was rapidly taking fictitious bids from the back of the hall. 2 harmless lads only in as spectators. Was the talk of the place at the time.[/quote]

I heard of an auctioneer pulling bids off the wall Like that till the principal bidder stood up, looked down the back of the room, turned back to the auctioneer and said “ where’s your friend? I don’t see him”. Auctioneer blushed a little but went on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was at an auction not too long ago and auctioneer was selling it by the acre

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They'll bid it up to the reserve any way, that happens every where. I was amused at a pedigree sale when a seller set the reserve at 500 and decided to take 480 and the effort the auctioneer had to make to move on.
    They ask the seller the reserve and you don't take less without finding is there any one bidding

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Cattlepen wrote: »
    [quote
    Cattlepen wrote: »
    [quote
    My father was telling me last night that back in his day that there could be some nasty carry on public auctions. Puffers he called them. Lads bidding with no intention of buying but rising prices to keep out certain lads or trying to bankrupt them. He was at an auction once where the auctioneer was rapidly taking fictitious bids from the back of the hall. 2 harmless lads only in as spectators. Was the talk of the place at the time.

I heard of an auctioneer pulling bids off the wall Like that till the principal bidder stood up, looked down the back of the room, turned back to the auctioneer and said “ where’s your friend? I don’t see him”. Auctioneer blushed a little but went on

That's a common enough occurrence at all types of auctions and it's perfectly legal. Often an auctioneer will take bids off the wall to try and get to the reserve price in order to make a sale where the opening bid was below the reserve. This is usually the case where there's only active one bidder and without this practice the price would remain static at the opening bid. There were middle men at fair's years ago and they evolved into auctioneers through time, there simply facilitating the transaction.

An auctioneers job is to achieve a sale to gain his commission, yes they sometimes have bias towards certain parties but without a sale they have no revenue. Some lad's seem to think the whole world is conspiring against them when it comes to buying anything from a bag of meal to a farm of land. As a local auctioneer does often say, "Your eye is your judge and your pocket your guide". No doubt I'm more ignorant than most but I buy what's in front of me at what I think it's worth, what everyone else thinks is largely irrelevant as it's not there account that's funding it. At the end of the day you either buy it or you don't but you can't do both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That's a common enough occurrence at all types of auctions and it's perfectly legal. Often an auctioneer will take bids off the wall to try and get to the reserve price in order to make a sale where the opening bid was below the reserve. This is usually the case where there's only active one bidder and without this practice the price would remain static at the opening bid. There were middle men at fair's years ago and they evolved into auctioneers through time, there simply facilitating the transaction.

An auctioneers job is to achieve a sale to gain his commission, yes they sometimes have bias towards certain parties but without a sale they have no revenue. Some lad's seem to think the whole world is conspiring against them when it comes to buying anything from a bag of meal to a farm of land. As a local auctioneer does often say, "Your eye is your judge and your pocket your guide". No doubt I'm more ignorant than most but I buy what's in front of me at what I think it's worth, what everyone else thinks is largely irrelevant as it's not there account that's funding it. At the end of the day you either buy it or you don't but you can't do both at the same time.
    Let us not forget the influence of the "brown envelope" - many auctioneer's has succumbed to it :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »
    Let us not forget the influence of the "brown envelope" - many auctioneer's has succumbed to it :mad:

There was probably an odd white one proffered too but all were no doubt gratefully accepted. If you got the outcome you desired then wasn't it money well spent. Morals are great at times and at other's there often a millstone around your neck. Once one does it then all are guilty in the eyes of many so it's equal as to what route you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bought land a few years ago. negotiated price and ready to push the button until i got a call from the auctioneer that they wouldnt be signing unless they got 3k cash aswell. It was xmas week aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

There was probably an odd white one proffered too but all were no doubt gratefully accepted. If you got the outcome you desired then wasn't it money well spent. Morals are great at times and at other's there often a millstone around your neck. Once one does it then all are guilty in the eyes of many so it's equal as to what route you take.

Aye, auctioneers and cattle dealers have very cosy relationships, no morals there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

If you have proof that the Auctioneer is misbehaving you could report him to his professional body.

Advertisement