Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car rental Spain

• 08-07-2020 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

sorry lads I did a search and I'm a bit green to all of this!..

Going to malaga mid august looking to rent a car for just over 2 weeks. Any dos and donts and more to the point anywhere trust worthy??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

I lived down there in 2018/19 and used https://www.doyouspain.com/index.htm. I mostly ended up renting through Clickrent and Goldcar from that website. Never had any issues just make sure you check the car and take pictures before you agree to take it. Some great deals to be had, my record was €0.27 for a weeks rental of a Polo!

I had car hire excess insurance with Blue insurance for €50 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I used Malagacar twice with no issues. Took the extra insurance though as got burned by Europcar before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I used Malagacar quite a few times in the past with no issues but we're going back a good five years since I've been over. Good quality cars, very good rates, no "damage" messing about, no big push to sell the insurance. As long as things are the same, they'd be my first choice.

I did use the place next door once, CarGest iirc. It'll remain the once. The state of the car, dinged and scratched to bits. T'was only a 2 day trip that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Used Malagacar too here for 5 years. Newish cars, with no hassle. There can be bit of a wait at peak times to collect cars ~ 45 mins.

Just inspect car on pickup.

First year I bought the full insurance - subsequent years I didn't - zero problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Tazio wrote: »
    Used Malagacar too here for 5 years. Newish cars, with no hassle. There can be bit of a wait at peak times to collect cars ~ 45 mins.

Just inspect car on pickup.

First year I bought the full insurance - subsequent years I didn't - zero problems.

We've been very lucky that I've never waited more than 10-15mins but I do know it can get quite busy. A big bunch of friends flew in about 2 hours after us one year and apparently it was mad busy at that time.

Also OP, as mentioned above, get your own excess insurance. These places charge €15+ per day whereas you can get an annual policy for €40-50 if you shop around. The rental place will still hold a deposit against your card but this is released once the car is returned unharmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Another vote for Malagacar, never any BS or scams, unlike most of the others. Good, new cars, good fuel policy and good chance of an upgrade. Have tried others like Goldcar, Centauro, etc, never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Thanks for the absolute flurry of high info replies lads and ladies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

hedzball wrote: »
    Thanks for the absolute flurry of high info replies lads and ladies!!

I think if you register and book via their website you can get discounted rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

I would never hire from goldcar. I have seen queues hours long to get the keys, no discount rate is worth that. Malagacar are fine unless you need something odd I ordered a people carrier as I had a few coming and cant remember the model I got but had 70k km on the clock and suspension was shot in one corner, damper was gone and was honestly dangerous, have not gone back to them since.

last few times i have used europcar and sixt might be a bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I too was burned by Gold Car, charged me €280 for scrapes underneath the front splitter which was ancient damage. Took a month of fighting to get the money back. Scam artists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnml

Regular visitor to Spain here. I always use Europcar. You'll pay a bit more but they won't try to shaft you. They never charged for damage and often don't even check the car over after. Deposit is much lower too.

Additionally I use carhireexcess.ie for my own insurance if I did happen to pay for damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I have rented several times from Helle Hollis.

Excellent service and no hard sell if you have your own excess insurance.

Also a return full fuel policy.

I have booked again with them for September (covid permitting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

johnml wrote: »
    Regular visitor to Spain here. I always use Europcar. You'll pay a bit more but they won't try to shaft you. They never charged for damage and often don't even check the car over after. Deposit is much lower too.

Additionally I use carhireexcess.ie for my own insurance if I did happen to pay for damage

The difference in the 2 week rental we are looking at is nearly 1k more ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Malagacar is very good - been using them for years. Bit confusing to find them the first time but worth it.

Watch out if you're there late at night - I had a bag stolen when installing the kids seat, took my eye off it for 10 seconds..... Malagacar were very helpful and shared video etc. Was a chancer pretending to be a customers waiting around......

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

johnml wrote: »

Are these insurance companies still offering cover during the covid pandemic?

Advertisement